Thread: Engevita storage question

Bluebell

Red face Engevita storage question

Greetings everyone!

I have a question about Engevita Yeast Flakes: How long do they last for once they've been opened? I wanted to make a vegan lasagne which calls for yeast flakes. The thing is, they've been lurking in the back of the cupboard and the foil seal has been opened and I can't remember how long they've been there (used by date says April 2013). Secondly, can you make the lasagne without the yeast flakes. P.S. I hate cooking

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Engevita storage question

I say go with the use-by date. They don't have any instructions like "use within x of opening" on the tub and I've never had a problem with using them after the tub has been open for ages. Unless you think they've gone off in any way (e.g. they've clumped together or smell mouldy) try a little bit and if they taste okay I'd proceed as normal.

Second, if you really don't want to use them, sure, use something else for flavouring. Depending on your recipe (presumably the yeast flakes were to go into a white sauce?) I'd add garlic and basil, maybe a dash of soya sauce and a blob of mustard for vague cheesishness.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

yup I agree with twinkle re whether they're off or not.

when I don't have any Engevita in I use Marmite/yeast extract, it works in the same way. Or you could use soy sauce (only a little) and/or vegan cheese, failing that, just leave it out, it will still taste nice I'm sure, just not so 'cheesy'.

yo-yo

ps I am a bit addicted to Engevita....! I have it on toast, mmm yum!!

Quote yo-yo
    ps I am a bit addicted to Engevita....! I have it on toast, mmm yum!!
    It has taken me a while to come around to nutritional yeast but now it has its uses, I put it on garlic bread and in soup. Not quite addicted to it yet though!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    It has taken me a while to come around to nutritional yeast but now it has its uses, I put it on garlic bread and in soup. Not quite addicted to it yet though!
    haha, yeh I don't quite know how it happened!! The other week I accidentally dropped a tub of it and half of it went on the floor. You can imagine the disappointment I felt

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all your comments and recipe tweaking suggestions.
    It sounds nice on toast! How do you do that? Do you just sprinkle it on or mix it with something to make it less "airborne"? (if that makes sense... )

Quote Bluebell View Post
    Hi everybody!

Thanks for all your comments and recipe tweaking suggestions.
    It sounds nice on toast! How do you do that? Do you just sprinkle it on or mix it with something to make it less "airborne"? (if that makes sense... )
    I just sprinkle some on, if the toast is still warm it kind of melts, but there's always a bit that goes airbourne!!

Quote yo-yo View Post
    I just sprinkle some on, if the toast is still warm it kind of melts, but there's always a bit that goes airbourne!!