View Poll Results: Which of these comments from non-vegans have you heard most often?

Voters
540. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everybody should eat whatever they want to - each to their own

125 23.15%
  • Humans have always been eating animals - eating meat is natural. You can't change the world - it will always be the way it is today anyway

298 55.19%
  • The life of a human is more precious than the life of an animal - the animals I eat aren’t important for me!

149 27.59%
  • I eat animal products because I know too little about diet and reasons to drop meat & dairy

33 6.11%
  • Some living creatures, like fish, can’t feel physical pain

138 25.56%
  • So why are you vegan? Give me just one good reason to switch...

89 16.48%
  • Vegan food isn't a natural choice in cold climates

50 9.26%
  • Animals kill each other too

253 46.85%
  • I eat animal products, and I'm healthy...

143 26.48%
  • I'm against killing animals, but what's wrong with milk? It's natural to use dairy products!

180 33.33%
  • It's unfair to force kids to eat vegan food

137 25.37%
  • I don't trust that eating animal products may cause increased cancer risk or other health problems

34 6.30%
  • My decision to eat meat is based on my free will, I’m not influenced by anyone

77 14.26%
  • I would never eat a dog, but I enjoy eating lamb

135 25.00%
  • I know a vegan who was unhealthy

171 31.67%
  • When being a vegan, or raising vegan kids, you need to know what you do

46 8.52%
  • Good arguments aren't important to me, I follow my feelings

10 1.85%
  • You'll die or go blind if you don’t eat animal products

75 13.89%
  • It’s not natural to eat a diet that means that you need B12 supplements

109 20.19%
  • My religious belief tells me that it is right to eat meat - it’s not my own decision

73 13.52%
  • Some cultures are killing the animals they eat 'with respect'

78 14.44%
  • But where do you get your nutrients from?

307 56.85%
  • I eat animal products to be on the safe side

35 6.48%
  • Its hard to decide to go vegan. I still haven't made a decision to do it

43 7.96%
  • Meat harmful??? I think spending a lot of time with PC’s and cell phones is harmful!

37 6.85%
  • I believe in the middle way – no extreme choices, please

87 16.11%
  • I wouldn’t enjoy having to eat something so different from what I eat now

69 12.78%
  • The animals will get killed anyway...

234 43.33%
  • What about animals killed in a car accident - would you eat it?

97 17.96%
  • I eat meat because I need physical strength

133 24.63%
  • Insects are killed in modern agriculture, so you are responsible for killing living beings anyway. Just by taking a walk you might unintentionally kill an insect

122 22.59%
  • You kill plants, but plants have feelings too

256 47.41%
  • Humans have the same physiology as meat eating animals

103 19.07%
  • What's wrong with eating unfertilized eggs from free-range hens?

149 27.59%
  • Don’t you think producing millions of synthetic shoes etc. is a bad idea, and will cause pollution?

50 9.26%
  • If you were stuck on a desert island, and there was a rabbit there – wouldn’t you eat it?

188 34.81%
  • I tried being a veg'n once, but was hungry all the time

88 16.30%
  • Fish must be OK to eat – they haven't had a life on factory farms?

78 14.44%
  • We need animal products for protein, iron, cholesterol, Omega-3, sinc, calcium etc.

243 45.00%
  • I'm OK with eating meat from an animal if I know the meat is organic

124 22.96%
  • Humans are at the top of the food chain

250 46.30%
  • I like variation

50 9.26%
  • Foods with animal ingredients are more tasty - I like meat! Come on, taste this ******, it’s so good

251 46.48%
  • So what do you eat? Plants? Isn't that boring?

295 54.63%
  • Eating vegan feels right and makes sense, but old habits die hard...

24 4.44%
  • Oh.

172 31.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Top 50: Comments from non-vegans

Default Re: Top 50: Comments from non-vegans

"Isn't that a bit extreme?" is what I've heard most, even from a vegetarian friend. It's so frustrating that someone can see from an animal rights perspective the good in going vegetarian but veganism is too "extreme"... I've also heard "I could never be vegan, I'd miss [insert animal cruelty product here] too much", also from vegetarians... I've been called "purist" a lot because I care about the egg in fresh pasta or what's in my pizza base and won't eat something unless I know for sure it's vegan.

I think rainbow is right, that it's a self defence mechanism, most people have been fairly aggressive about it, like "well I only eat free range eggs so don't preach at me" kinda thing rather than wanting to really talk about the issues. I know that if I raise my children vegan with my partner, some of his friends will be horrified, one of them said that raising children vegetarian was "a form of child abuse"!!!!! Because raising your children in a healthful way that complies with compassionate ethics is abusive...
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

"Extreme" just implies "can't be @rsed to do it myself" in this context, I feel!

^ It's so true, and so sad as well...
    "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?” - Calvin and Hobbes

Yes but as we were discussing in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one!), if they see you doing well as a vegan, some of your friends may decide it's not so "extreme" after all!

I had hoped for that, but I think my boyfriend has decided from watching me that it's just as hard as he thought, if not harder I think, because he barely knows how to cook, that all the stuff I cook that he has barely even heard of freaks him out, even though he likes the taste of it. And yesterday, he was making me a cup of tea and paused before he put the sugar in, and said "oh, I was just trying to remember if the sugar is vegan" and I reassured him that it was, and he replied "yea I know it is, but it seems to me now that everything tasty isn't vegan so I always have to check! I don't think I could EVER be vegan. It's too hard, and too complicated."

49/50, not bad.

Someone yesterday told me that cows like to be milked (the fact that their calfs that would have normally drunk it but had been taken from them had completely escaped them and the cows have no other way of releasing the milk so a milking machine would probably feel nice)

Quote RhegHimself View Post
    Someone yesterday told me that cows like to be milked (the fact that their calfs that would have normally drunk it but had been taken from them had completely escaped them and the cows have no other way of releasing the milk so a milking machine would probably feel nice)
    Ha, I've had that too! During the conversation with a friend in which he told me that it was "obvious" that organic and free range animals would be slaughtered in a nicer way than intensively farmed animals

I was in my bathroom a few weeks ago and heard two teenage boys walk past the window, having a conversation, as follows:

Boy 1: "Oh, so you eat fish? You're not a real vegan then."
    Boy 2: "What's a vegan?"
    Boy 1: "A vegan is like an extreme vegetarian who doesn't eat meat or fish or anything. [pause] Except milk. Vegans eat milk because the cows have to be milked, otherwise they would all explode."

I nearly exploded at this point (!) and hastened to make myself decent so that I could stick my head out of the window and correct them. Alas, they had disappeared from view by the time I got to the window. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.
    Live and let live

if we needed milk past infancy our mothers would express milk for their entire lifes, but they dont because we dont need milk as adults (human or otherwise), why is that so hard to comprehend for some people?

Yeah and all those poeple freaking out because a mother was still breastfeeding her 9 years old daughter but a 40 year old drinking cow's milk isn't weird?

Quote RhegHimself View Post
    Oh god, how many times did I have to hear that as well... "But they NEED to be milked!" I always reply that human women don't have to be milked either in order not to explode, but most people don't get it.

I wonder how important ignorance and misinformation actually is to the perpetuation of the animal abuse industries? If people actually knew the truth about factory farming in all its inglory, without any of the mistruths, lies and propaganda that we are force-fed from birth, I suspect many more would reject what goes on. Sure, there are some callous individuals who would continue regardless. But I suspect that many, without being raised on false beliefs both about how animal products are produced and how they are supposedly central ('essential') to our diet, would reject the whole lot in horror. This latter misperception about the need for animal products is, I suspect, what allows people to quell their discomfort with factory farming, and allows them to accept more willingly the myths perpetuated about the industry despite the fact that these myths are increasingly being challenged and do not stand up to even the most casual scrutiny.
    Live and let live

I wish my posts were that eloquent

Love # 45

"Oh..." 160 votes

I got five comments when I went vegan:
    "but god says that we should eat meat"
    "but what would you eat if you're tired or ill?... oh, I see you know what you're doing"
    "I admire you - I couldn't do it"
    "I just want you to be healthy whatever you eat"
    and
    "can't you just eat some fish!"