View Poll Results: Which of these comments from non-vegans have you heard most often?

Voters
540. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everybody should eat whatever they want to - each to their own

125 23.15%
  • Humans have always been eating animals - eating meat is natural. You can't change the world - it will always be the way it is today anyway

298 55.19%
  • The life of a human is more precious than the life of an animal - the animals I eat aren’t important for me!

149 27.59%
  • I eat animal products because I know too little about diet and reasons to drop meat & dairy

33 6.11%
  • Some living creatures, like fish, can’t feel physical pain

138 25.56%
  • So why are you vegan? Give me just one good reason to switch...

89 16.48%
  • Vegan food isn't a natural choice in cold climates

50 9.26%
  • Animals kill each other too

253 46.85%
  • I eat animal products, and I'm healthy...

143 26.48%
  • I'm against killing animals, but what's wrong with milk? It's natural to use dairy products!

180 33.33%
  • It's unfair to force kids to eat vegan food

137 25.37%
  • I don't trust that eating animal products may cause increased cancer risk or other health problems

34 6.30%
  • My decision to eat meat is based on my free will, I’m not influenced by anyone

77 14.26%
  • I would never eat a dog, but I enjoy eating lamb

135 25.00%
  • I know a vegan who was unhealthy

171 31.67%
  • When being a vegan, or raising vegan kids, you need to know what you do

46 8.52%
  • Good arguments aren't important to me, I follow my feelings

10 1.85%
  • You'll die or go blind if you don’t eat animal products

75 13.89%
  • It’s not natural to eat a diet that means that you need B12 supplements

109 20.19%
  • My religious belief tells me that it is right to eat meat - it’s not my own decision

73 13.52%
  • Some cultures are killing the animals they eat 'with respect'

78 14.44%
  • But where do you get your nutrients from?

307 56.85%
  • I eat animal products to be on the safe side

35 6.48%
  • Its hard to decide to go vegan. I still haven't made a decision to do it

43 7.96%
  • Meat harmful??? I think spending a lot of time with PC’s and cell phones is harmful!

37 6.85%
  • I believe in the middle way – no extreme choices, please

87 16.11%
  • I wouldn’t enjoy having to eat something so different from what I eat now

69 12.78%
  • The animals will get killed anyway...

234 43.33%
  • What about animals killed in a car accident - would you eat it?

97 17.96%
  • I eat meat because I need physical strength

133 24.63%
  • Insects are killed in modern agriculture, so you are responsible for killing living beings anyway. Just by taking a walk you might unintentionally kill an insect

122 22.59%
  • You kill plants, but plants have feelings too

256 47.41%
  • Humans have the same physiology as meat eating animals

103 19.07%
  • What's wrong with eating unfertilized eggs from free-range hens?

149 27.59%
  • Don’t you think producing millions of synthetic shoes etc. is a bad idea, and will cause pollution?

50 9.26%
  • If you were stuck on a desert island, and there was a rabbit there – wouldn’t you eat it?

188 34.81%
  • I tried being a veg'n once, but was hungry all the time

88 16.30%
  • Fish must be OK to eat – they haven't had a life on factory farms?

78 14.44%
  • We need animal products for protein, iron, cholesterol, Omega-3, sinc, calcium etc.

243 45.00%
  • I'm OK with eating meat from an animal if I know the meat is organic

124 22.96%
  • Humans are at the top of the food chain

250 46.30%
  • I like variation

50 9.26%
  • Foods with animal ingredients are more tasty - I like meat! Come on, taste this ******, it’s so good

251 46.48%
  • So what do you eat? Plants? Isn't that boring?

295 54.63%
  • Eating vegan feels right and makes sense, but old habits die hard...

24 4.44%
  • Oh.

172 31.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 50: Comments from non-vegans

Default Re: Top 50: Comments from non-vegans

Quote Skajen
    my bf's grandad had a go at me today. he said "man has been eating meating for ever" and he simply REFUSED to believe that i was getting nutrients and that "we need meat or we don't have all the right nutrients in us!" he's a harmless bloke, but he was CONVINCED i wasn't getting nutrients, yet he's the one with type2 diabetes, overweight and respiratory problems....sometimes its best to just take the abuse
    I run into that a lot. People who state the same "argument" over and over and refuse to consider the possibility that there might be another way of looking at things. That's why I changed my signature .
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

princessemma

The nastiest comment I got was in our local subway, we'd been customers there since it opened. When I told the woman serving I didn't want cheese she asked why not and I told her as a family we were all going vegan. She said that I was being cruel (to my daughter now 3). My family keep telling me that she has changed and she's got no energy, which I know is complete and utter b****cks. They are trying to worry me into giving her dairy and eggs again. I just nod my head and ignore them.
    Surely every parent pushes their beliefs on their children be it veganism, religion whatever. I never 'choose' to eat meat as a child it was put on my plate and I ate it but I don't keep complaining that they forced their opinions on me, I just accept they did what they believed was best for me at the time.
    Another stupid comment I heard was via a fellow member of the local veggie's and vegans group. She recently organised a meal out and called one place, when she asked for vegan food the chief said 'Well if you want to eat like that I can't be held responsible if you get ill' needless to say we are not eating at the aforementioned establishment! Since over 99% of sickness and food poisioning comes from meat, fish, shell-fish, dairy or eggs it would have to be a pretty grotty place if they could manage to make a vegan sick!

Quote Skajen
    my bf's grandad had a go at me today. he said "man has been eating meating for ever" and he simply REFUSED to believe that i was getting nutrients and that "we need meat or we don't have all the right nutrients in us!" he's a harmless bloke, but he was CONVINCED i wasn't getting nutrients, yet he's the one with type2 diabetes, overweight and respiratory problems....sometimes its best to just take the abuse
    I've had smokers telling me my diet is unhealthy. How is it possible to be so stupid and still live?
    Silent but deadly :p

the other day to me "go on have a (milk) chocolate - its christmas!!"

I was greeted Christmas Eve with "What are you going to eat?" even though I had brought succotash and sugar maple pecans with me, and there were other foods appropriate for me to eat. If I couldn't gorge myself on several platefuls of animal products apparently I was going to be hungry. And then as I was eating my plate of delicous food - not bothering anyone - my smoking, overweight sister starts giving me a hardtime - I just finished eating and went to hang out with the kids.

If someone asks me about my diet/lifestyle, I'll share my experiences and give out a few facts. If an omni is interested, willing to listen, and is open to consider my point of view, I'll have a friendly debate.

However, I pick and choose my battles carefully these days . . .

I used to debate and sometimes argue with ALL omnis, and furwearers, and hunters . . . I've tried to share my opinions, show them the truth, and offer good arguments to support an animal-friendly lifestyle . . .

But now, I don't bother to debate with people who refuse to listen and consider other points of view. I refer them to websites with all the facts -- whenever they want to become informed, the info is there for them to read at their leisure.

I've had very few friends (outside of the internet) who were vegetarian or vegan and I've even had a few who supported "respectful" hunting, and yes, even some who bought commerical fur . . .

But, I find that I am becoming less tolerant of people who selfishly disrespect animals. I no longer have anything to do with people who hunt (the only "respectful" hunting is not hunting at all.) I only have one friend now who still buys fur on occation, but, she knows I think it's evil and gross and so usually, she remembers not to wear any of it when she's around me (I think she got sick of the dirty looks, eye rolling, and open bashing coming from my mouth, teehee!)

Everyone has a right to have an opinion. But, not every opinion is right.
    Veganism and kindness towards animals is the way to go, no matter what ignorant people have to say about it!
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

Quote Korn
    45) We need animal products for protein, iron, cholesterol, Omega-3, sinc, calcium etc. [No, we don’t. Try a book!]

][/b]
    Wow, I'd never even thought of trying a book!!! All these new foods I've tried since going vegan.... seaweed, seeds, hummus... now books!!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Yesterday I actually heard of a woman who had these weird cravings during her pregnancy - for.... wallpaper!

Korn, excellent list with great comebacks that won't antagonise people!! Really helpful.

When I tell people im vegan they often say;

'It must be really hard eating out, doesn't it affcet your social life having to be so careful'

To which i usually reply, 'What social life?' No, i usually list all the things im doing that week and ask them if they want to come along!!

I also notice that people start looking at me very closely and feel able to make personal comments about my physical appearance, like; 'Is that why your so thin, cos your vegan, do you eat enough?' The implication here is that im only vegan cos im starving myself. I resent this a little but usually reply by taking their comment as a compliment, i.e: 'It's nice to be slim but i've always been this way. A vegan diet is very healthy, which is great but i actually went vegan for compassionate reasons. Today, i've eaten...'
    I must admit, i do sometimes feel like retorting; 'yeah, i'm slim and healthy cos im vegan, do you rekon your (insert: rude/ bad tempered/ whatever) cos you eat meat? ' I know, I know. But i never say it.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I always get some kind of comment about salads, like eating salad all the time must get boring, or what do you eat besides salad

princessemma

My friend, bless her is an omni and she said 'I respect what you do but I couldn't do it cause I'm too damn selfish'

I think the worst comment I've gotten was, "I don't get vegetarians and vegans, one person can't change the world." Poor guy...

Also, "...you can't get enough protein without meat or dairy."
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

Pilaf

Quote princessemma
    My friend, bless her is an omni and she said 'I respect what you do but I couldn't do it cause I'm too damn selfish'
    Funny...I became vegan because I'm so damn selfish.

Quote June
    I think the worst comment I've gotten was, "I don't get vegetarians and vegans, one person can't change the world." Poor guy...
    10 million can...

Also, "...you can't get enough protein without meat or dairy."
    "Oh really? I guess magic sustains me, then! Beware my POWAHS!"

"Oh really? I guess magic sustains me, then! Beware my POWAHS!"
    I've got to remember that one!
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

The Null Void

Quote Korn
    Yesterday I actually heard of a woman who had these weird cravings during her pregnancy - for.... wallpaper!
    What was it I heard? A co-worker who is pregnant had a midwife tell her that these cravings are a sign of... low Iron, I think? And not that uncommon. I might be mixing this up a little, but it was something like that (paper in general, I think).

The old stand-by that fish don't feel pain/distress is a crock. Just as the idea that animals don't have emotions is complete twaddle.

I think some people choose to believe otherwise to justify eating meat. As was pointed out earlier, "Ignorance is bliss"!

I saw David Attenborough interviewed once and he acknowledged that even spiders have their own individual personality traits. I wouldn't go so far as to say insects experience emotion, but who knows?

Just to be safe, I never squish anything...

When I talk about not eating animals and not testing etc I hate it when people say stuff like " Well humans are the stronger more intelligent species!" saying that that makes it all ok.
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

A woman recently told me that if your muscles are aching you should drink milk or cream to take the ache away. Something to do with lactic acid buildup....

What an annoying, stupid thing for someone to say fiamma! What annoys me is when someone non-vegan says something like that, it is so ludicrous that I am lost for words. I am literally left speechless, when really I should be putting them straight!

I've learned to choose my battles wisely - this woman has made me lose my rag on a couple of occasions already (she owns the pet shop under my flat) so I just smile sweetly - arguing with her is like talking to a brick wall. She is blind ignorant and can get kind of nasty too. As they say here, "buon viso, cattivo gioco", meaning "inside I am raging but outside I am calm and smiling"

I know that feeling only too well!

that nonsense about how we have canine teeth is one of the things that annoys me the most and also that its natural to drink milk.
    yeah, sure it's natural to drink milk, our mothers milk. not some other creatures mothers milk and if they go on drinking that till they are old then they wonder why their bones are deteriorating, well what do they expect if they keep on drinking food meant for a baby when they are a fully grown adult, serves them b****y well right !!

Quote fiamma
    A woman recently told me that if your muscles are aching you should drink milk or cream to take the ache away. Something to do with lactic acid buildup....

that kind of remard just makes me laugh now! in fact the more i think about someone actually saying it the more funny it becomes. try and think how ludicrously funny it is next time you see her coming, you will naturally smile - and she wont know why

That's a good idea! I think I'm stalking you cedarblue, I actively search out where you've been posting!

i'd like to think its me but i'm afraid you just want me for my avatar

Quote cedarblue
    that kind of remard just makes me laugh now! in fact the more i think about someone actually saying it the more funny it becomes. try and think how ludicrously funny it is next time you see her coming, you will naturally smile - and she wont know why
    Edit... I will smile Great avatar BTW cedarblue

Quote cedarblue
    i'd like to think its me but i'm afraid you just want me for my avatar
    Oh, it is you, but aswell as that you have that little something extra, no-one else has!

"OH! That is why you are so thin/pale/weird/ don't take caffeine."
    Ugh.
    I myself do not preach to people who eat free range or hunt *cringes* It is wrong to kill animals but it is better that they have a better life, and, as these are people I love, it is better that they eat better meat.

p.s. My fiance just came by and said "What are you guys veganising about?" hahahhaha. Sorry, hope that falls on silly ears.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Ok......and let me say up front.....I kept my cool & didn't slap her....but wouldn't this have made you furious? (or was I over reacting?)

The checker at the market, looking at my stuff leaned over and WHISPERED!!! To me......."Are you a vegetarian? Me too."

WHISPERED!!!!! Like it's something to be ashamed of...in NY CITY...in the year 2006!!!

I just smiled and said "Vegan, actually"

But all the way home I was mad!!

mostly people say to me "well i don't know the animal, so i don't mind eating it."
    or "but it tastes so good!"
    or "but we are meant to eat it!"

i just look at them like they are so lame... i don't even waste my breath on them... much

Quote keykeypie View Post
    Ok......and let me say up front.....I kept my cool & didn't slap her....but wouldn't this have made you furious? (or was I over reacting?)

The checker at the market, looking at my stuff leaned over and WHISPERED!!! To me......."Are you a vegetarian? Me too."

WHISPERED!!!!! Like it's something to be ashamed of...in NY CITY...in the year 2006!!!

I just smiled and said "Vegan, actually"

But all the way home I was mad!!
    Your story made me laugh, Keykeypie!

mango

Quote Stu View Post
    obtention.
    That's a great word.

"I eat meat because I need physical strength"

Most of the comments I've gotten from meateaters have been something similar to the above, mainly because they think that meat gives them strength and endurance.

And in turn, they will say something like I might get weak, especially when they noticed I've lost weight.

Of course, the opposite is true. More energy. More endurance and stamina. And a lighter feeling.

"I was a vegetarian for 15 years, but then I realized that the caveman would not have evolved without meat."

This from the lifeguard where we swim-who was eating a cheeseburger at the time, FOR BREAKFAST!!!

What a silly comment! We also would not have evolved like this unless we used to swing in trees. Is that a reason to go swinging from tree branches? We used to live in caves too, should we do that now because we used to do it??

nervine

The funniest remark my dad made the other day after I hadn't eaten bread for 3 days or so, "you won't get enough fibre if you don't eat any bread'. You have to know he eats nothing but white bread, no fruit, had 4 bypasses at age 46, takes 2 pills a day for cholesterol and bloodpressure and eats meat at least twice a day.. Sometimes I feel like laughing really hard in his face, other times I feel like crying.. I just wish he'd listen.. It sucks feeling powerless..

nervine

Quote Conrad View Post
    I always get some kind of comment about salads, like eating salad all the time must get boring, or what do you eat besides salad
    I'd say: nothing, I thrive on it.

I can't even remember the last time I had salad!

Yeah, don't tell me you have vegan food if you're going to offer me a salad or a flapjack!

Like someone said on page one, the thing I get way more frequently than anything else is "Well, I eat very little meat either really . . . " and then they go on to list exactly how much and what type, when they last had it etc. WHY DO YOU THINK I CARE???? I really don't want to eat it myself and I really don't want to hear about you eating it either!

Quote Yoggy View Post
    What a silly comment! We also would not have evolved like this unless we used to swing in trees. Is that a reason to go swinging from tree branches? We used to live in caves too, should we do that now because we used to do it??
    Funny-I was reading a book about the cholera outbreak in London in the fall of 1854. Scientists think that, because early water supplies were so unpredictable, those who were able to tolerate alcohol were likely to live longer because they were far less likely to be exposed to any water-borne bacteria. Those who could not tolerate alcohol were more likely to die young, and less likely to leave any offspring. So according to that logic, we should ALL start boozing. After all, alcohol helped a significant portion of the human race to survive when water drinkers were dying of cholera and other such diseases.

Lilac Hamster

Hollybee, same argument could apply to smoke and smoking.

Apparently cavedwellers had to be able to tolerate smoky caves, because they had to light fires there for warmth and to scare off predators, so people evolved to be able to huddle around a fire producing smoke, usually in a confined space. If they could not be around the smoke they got eaten, and they didn't generally live long enough to get cancers and other diseases from long-term smoke exposure. It's official I guess, I'm a genetic throwback.

None of this means people should deliberately be around smoke now, and I don't see many sabre toothed tigers lurking around pubs and nightclubs.

Besides with the incidence of asthma which is definitely exacerbated by smoke for most sufferers it's obvious there is a lot of evolution back the other way now, with more of us not able to tolerate breathing in bad things in the air.

I am sure I heard that in certain racial groups there are more people who have a poor tolerance to alcohol. Some oriental and asian people I think are affected by this, so maybe they did not have this need in their recent history to evolve towards alcohol tolerance?

I've been a vegiatrian for over 10 years and a vegan for just over 3 months. People are used to my "weird" eating habits. These days I just get "looks" or rolling eyes. "Now What????? or What is that going to do for you.

I usually respond by saying, " The animals are happier and so am I." A vegan friend of mine says, " I supplement my diet with ham." LOL IT just sounds so funny.

....and the winner is: "But where do you get your nutrients from?", which has the highest score in the survey so far, with 55%. The most common answer to that common question is probably We get our nutrients from the same sources as the animals you eat: plants - and just like meat eaters (and factory farmed animals) we add with supplements if needed".

#2: "Humans have always been eating animals - eating meat is natural. You can't change the world - it will always be the way it is today anyway", with 52%
    The most common answers here would probably be...
    "Not all humans have always been eating meat - vegetarian cultures have been exisiting for thousands of years".
    "Eating meat isn't natural, it's 'cultural', because killing animals needs tools that are manmade. We aren't equipped from nature with a body that's fit to hunt and kill animals, and the fact that we can make tools doesn't mean that we are 'meant to' make tools that kill other living beings ".
    "Even if eating meat isn't natural, humans do a lot of things that are "cultural", like wearing clothes, umbrellas or living in houses."
    And, regarding changing the world - it will always be as it is today anyway...:
    "That's obviously not correct, because going back in history, the human predecessors didn't eat meat. At some point this changed, but the fact that their predecessors were herbivores didn't stop them from starting to hunt/kill. Why should we let the fact that lots of humans have been hunting/killing for years prohibit us from stop doing that?"

#3: So what do you eat? Plants? Isn't that boring? 48%
    A couple of easy answers to that one would be to refer to all those vegans who confirm that they eat more varied food than before they were vegans, and that most vegans think that vegan food is better or just as tasty as the food they ate before they became vegans. (look at these polls: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before? and Do you eat more or less varied food than you did when you were eating meat & dairy?)

Back to #1, the one about nutrients... If I would have been a marketing guy working for The Vegan Society or any other group promoting veganism, I'd suggest that focusing on these three topics would be the best way to promote veganism, because these seem to be the most important reasons/misunderstands people use to not go vegan.

We already have a number of threads discussing if humans always ate meat (and if it matters if they did), if eating vegan is natural, and tons of threads about good vegan food, but no thread discussing what the best way to inform vegan newbies (and non-vegans) about the difference between between a vegan and non-vegan diet - nutritionwise. So I'll start one right now - here:

What's the best advice we can give vegan newbies about nutrition?

While I was watching a Peter Singer interview on youtube, my now ex-girlfriend asked, "Do you have to watch that now before I eat?" Or whenever I talked to her on the phone about animals and the conditions they are raised in, she would say, "Stop! I don't want to hear that while I eat!" (as she ate her steak) Yet... she doesn't stop eating it. Arg.

nervine

lately i mostly seem to be getting: "What DO u eat then?"

Haha, I got a "what DO you eat" today from my bio lab partner when she realized I was vegan/vegetarian. Today we got to make cheese with rennilase and everything! I didn't participate though, just watched as my partner kept talking about pizza and milk and yada yada.
    "Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you anymore."

I seem to be getting - oh so your just awkward then followed by humans are designed to eat meat.
    What you tolerate, you encourage.

i usually hear the same ol' "Well, what the hell DO ya eat?!?"

but I've heard some pretty bullshit things that have either set my mild temper blazing or sent me into fits of laughter:

"Vegans kill babies, I saw so on the news, they starve their children..." (this girl actually wore a shirt to work with a piece of notebook paper taped to it that said "vegans kill babies"

she also tried to end our arguement with "kat, i don't think you know what a vegan IS...veganism is a religion..."

then there was a jackass "Soymilk reduces fertility...good, maybe then these vegan f*cks will quit reproducing and making MORE little vegan f*cks"

although I realize is was just an idiot #$*hole that said it, I still couldn't help but get angry.

and then there's the all-too-common "Well, vegans kill plants." Followed by a smug smile...to which I usually reply with something like

"Actually I've switched to eating dirt now, after harvesting a potatoe once and listening to it scream in pain (pain that was delivered from its wound to its brain via its nervous system) as I ripped it from the comfort of its family. And then there was the time when I chopped up a head of lettuce and blood, that looked an awful lot like MY blood, came gushing out in the rythm of its heartbeat..."

But it's all usually pointless, I usually get worked up for no reason and feel really stupid afterwards...because I know that the majority of people with such ignorant arguements aren't willing to open their mind to anything but the shit that's already packed into their brains.

thanks 4 the list korn!
    I think it will be usefull.

Once at a business conference, an older woman asked me, after noting that I wasn't eating any meat, "Are you a vegetarian?" So I took a few moments to tell her about my eating habits and such. After which she questioned, "How do you expect to ever get married?" This struck me as a rather odd question, so I asked her exactly what she meant. Apparently, she saw my lifestyle as so extreme that there would be no way that I could find a girl that would ever put up with it. We talked for a few minutes more, and I told her about how my girlfriend at the time was also a vegan and that thankfully I wasn't alone in the world.

I often think back to that day, it has always clearly illustrated to me the gross difference in backgrounds in the US and just how very interesting peoples views can be.