Thread: What to do about headaches?

blondebunnies

Default What to do about headaches?

G'day all... I'm newly vegan--the film Earthlings changed my life on so many levels.
    My committment to a cruelty-free lifestye is sincere. I am sadly having problems....

I've figured how to get the proper amount of protein. I'm eating multiple small meals through the day. I feel better than I can remember in a long while.

The thing is though, I'm getting terrible headaches at night. I always eat until I feel full, so I don't feel deprived at all, and its cut down on my random snacking tremendously...So its not a starvation headache.lol. In fact I feel more satisfied now than when I wasn't vegan. But these headaches are killing me. Its like this throbbing pain, and buzzing in my head. Its terrible Whats worse is it makes me feel like a failure because (please don't judge) I go eat some kind of meat. I feel emotionally terrible when I do it, but it does stop the terrible pain and 'funny' feeling. After getting rid of my Coach bags and all other leather, I feel just awful eating meat during these health emergencies.

So I'm asking for input on what causes these headaches and what to do to stop them.
    I'm committed to being vegan and I've got about a haf dozen friends ready to commit too if we can work out what causes these headaches and what to do to stop them.

Namaste
    Denise

Heya Denise, I'm sorry that you're getting these headaches. Could you do us a favour and give us an outline of what you eat on a daily basis? It'd give us a better idea of where your diet may be lacking.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: What to do about the headaches?

Hello Denise,

are you drinking enough water?

I once heard that being dehydrated can make your blood thicker and thus cause headaches - so whenever I have headaches, I drink a lot and sometimes it helps.

Other than that, I'd guess your body is "de-toxing" and you need to endure it for a while until your body has accommodated to a more healthy lifestyle.

But PLEASE, try to eat something else than meat on those occasions - "mock meats", smoked tofu, nuts or some other protein-rich foods. Maybe they can also help. And yes, when you stop doing drugs, you also experience pains that get better from taking drugs again. But that does not mean it is a good thing to continue taking drugs.

Best regards,
    Andy

blondebunnies

Thanks for your replies everyone I've been feeling like a failure because I've had to resort to eating meat...It wasn't that I wanted to, I felt like a smoker who kept a pack around in case they "needed it". That's a great suggestion though to try the mock meats--I've had great luck with the Quorn brand... I've just been unable to get groceries so I'm trying to make do.

Anyway, I've been doing really well with eating properly. I do a bran cereal with rice milk for brekky, an espresso with soy milk(I can't give up the caffeine yet lol); lunch is always multigrain breads with vegan cheese and a variety of veggies, or vegemite/marmite; I throw in assorted snacks throughout the day--nuts, fruits, dried fruits, etc. I have a couple vegan cookies too in the afternoon. Dinner is something with alot of tofu, veggies, some kind of nut and beans; Then after supper I like a 'dessert' of a soy-smoothie with Super Green powder added for more veggie power!lol
    I've been super full and satisfied with a diet like this. I don't snack at night or before bed anymore.
    I don't think though I've increased my water intake though. I do coconut water drinks throughout the day and filtered water and vitamin waters--but I don't know that I've increased what I'm drinking...Is that a problem? I try to do 8, 8oz. glasses of water a day but sometimes it might be alittle more or a little less.

Thank you so very much for any helpful suggestions you might have
    Denise

hey,
    just to let you know Quorn isn't vegan, annoyingly they put egg in their products. But there's heap of other fake meat stuff, some of my faves are Fry's, Redwood, soya chunks and soya mince.
    I am prone to getting headaches, some worse than others, there are a few reasons for getting headaches, but I'm about 98% sure it has nothing to do with you needing to eat meat, although I guess it could be a withdrawal thing. The power of the mind is immense, so if you think the headaches are due to lack of meat and then you go eat some, you may even be feeling instantly better because you are giving yourself what you think is the anti-dote to the headache.
    There are three main types of headaches, tension headaches, cluster headaches and migraines. Then there are ones caused by something else, like hormones, medication, lack of food or water, food intolerance etc.
    Could it be that the headaches are being caused by something else, which you've changed recently, which just happens to coincide with you going vegan? Eg are you under stress (which could mean tension headaches). I guess if they continue, you should go to your doctor so they can check you out, though with headaches they often can't say why you're getting them, but it might be worth going anyway.
    I can really sympathise as I get headaches a lot, I hope that you are able to find out what's causing them, and if it is turning vegan then you are able to stick in there through the transition period.
    good luck, yo-yo

Think they do have some egg-free Quorn now, at least in the US? bb, could you be a bit anaemic? A lot of women are and it can give you headaches, I believe. If that's a possibility you could try eating more vegan foods that are rich in iron.

Default Re: What to do about headaches?

Quote blondebunnies View Post
    I've got about a half dozen friends ready to commit too if we can work out what causes these headaches
    Hi Denise, and welcome! Based on everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere over many years, there's no reason, really, to assume that your friends would get headaches from switching to a vegan diet even if you did - it's a rare phenomenon. There's nothing you can get from meat which you can't also get without eating meat.

Some people combine switching to a vegan with other dietary changes. For instance, they cut down on sugar, or reduce their fat intake. Some people gain weight when going vegan, most people who switch to a vegan diet lose weight - and some people actually do get headaches for a period when they start to lose weight. Good luck!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote harpy View Post
    Think they do have some egg-free Quorn now, at least in the US? bb, could you be a bit anaemic? A lot of women are and it can give you headaches, I believe. If that's a possibility you could try eating more vegan foods that are rich in iron.
    ah cool, sorry didn't know that, my bad!

The headaches could also be from something you are introducing into your diet, not necessarily from cutting things out. Did you eat a lot of soy before you went vegan for instance? Your body might not be used to it. Just a thought.

I googled meat and headaches because I can't fathom how meat can possibly help a headache and what I found is that meat is a major contributor of headaches (especially migraines) due to the nitrates in it. It also increases the inflammatory factor. So my guess would be the withdrawal effects as others have mentioned. It does seem like you are eating enough and a fair amount of fats (that was going to be my other suggestion until I saw your second post).

blondebunnies

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi Denise, and welcome! Based on everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere over many years, there's no reason, really, to assume that your friends would get headaches from switching to a vegan diet even if you did - it's a rare phenomenon. There's nothing you can get from meat which you can't also get without eating meat.

Some people combine switching to a vegan with other dietary changes. For instance, they cut down on sugar, or reduce their fat intake. Some people gain weight when going vegan, most people who switch to a vegan diet lose weight - and some people actually do get headaches for a period when they start to lose weight. Good luck!
    I'm in agreement with what everyone is saying--its not the meat IMHO. I believe its a soy sensitivity. I've been eliminating possible causes and the soy seems to be an issue for me. I had a soy smoothie last night, and nothing else after dinner, and got a terrible headach not too long afterwards. It dragged on well into early morning, and I had odd facial flushing. When I googled it, I saw that I had the symptoms of a soy sensitivity.

It must be the soy shakes. I dont eat alot of soy since I learned how many companies use chemicals to separte out the bean curds, and totally organic tofu is hard to find in the burbs.

I'm going to cut out soy and see if that helps. I cant stand the thought of ever eating meat (yucky rotting animal flesh) again... I'll gladly take some time adapting to this new diet if it helps keep animals safe!

Besides the Quorn, we've got some pretty good faux meats--particularly the ones made from 'fungus'...the texture and taste are great. And I'm loving the humble bean.lol I never realized how good they were or how many varieties. And I'm totally about adding a little extra something something to foods so I get extra vitamins--like pepitas and seeds mixed into the granola cereal I like. So I'm doing alot to make sure my diet is balanced and full.

Still love my vegemite and marmite--just wish it came low sodium here in the states. (I used to live in Oz, hence my love of the salty spreads.lol)