Thread: Having trouble keeping my mouth shut around people that are where I was a year a

SJ Egan

Default Having trouble keeping my mouth shut around people that are where I was a year a

I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my mouth shut around people that are where I was a year ago pretending that they don't care about eating animals and saying that it's the natural way people are. I don't want to become that sanctimonious in your face person but at the same time I wish someone had talked to me! Just wondering how other people are coping?

Default Re: Having trouble keeping my mouth shut around people that are where I was a ye

I can understand how you feel 100%. Its hard to listen to people when common sense dictates that they are completely wrong, but the best advice that I can give is to be as patient with people as possible, most Vegans were not born Vegan and I have found that a lot of people need time to get their heads around Veganism (and come to their own decisions/conclusions) as it undermines a large portion of what they have been brought up to believe (E.G most people believe that milk is healthy and that cows enjoy being milked, whereas the truth is they are tortured for years before being killed to provide some humans with a product that damages health more than it benefits it).

I have also found that leading by example is a good way of promoting Veganism with having to argue with people, for example last week I took Kara Chocolate Coconut milk and "bacon" rasher crisps into work which got people into talking about all the food that you don't realise is Vegan and it shows people how unrestrictive being Vegan is.

Default Re: Having trouble keeping my mouth shut around people that are where I was a ye

Yep, I agree - six months ago I was an omnivore, so although I have the occasional rant, I'm generally careful to make it a rant about industrialised/ supermarket meat and milk production, ie that it results in a cheap, inferior product which supermarkets and restaurants charge us a flipping fortune for. Taking this approach means you're showing you're on the same side as Reluctant Ron or Cautious Katie!
    It does become apparent just how much we as a society unthinkingly accept received wisdom (about food, politics, business - whatever) and base our lifestyles on it: another good reason to be a vegan is to show that you have educated yourself and challenged that received wisdom.

I also think the 'sign value' of what Firestorm did - eg taking chocolate milk and a packet of Frazzles into work - is important: being seen to eat something homely and normal is the way forward. In addition, many vegans find that taking cake for family/workmates/friends to share is always a winner In the end, being conspicuously healthy, happy and normal as a vegan is the best advert. Finally, one of the best arguments for being a vegan is that you'll never retch over a piece of gristle or tubes in your food ever again! (Can't begin to tell you how pleased I am by this myself!) One of the reasons I became a vegan is the example of a work colleague, so you never know!