Thread: Cows Hold Grudges, Say Scientists

Default Cows Hold Grudges, Say Scientists

ONCE they were a byword for mindless docility. But cows have a complex mental life in which they bear grudges, nurture friendships and become excited by intellectual challenges, researchers have found.

Cows are capable of strong emotions such as pain, fear and even anxiety about the future. But if farmers provide the right conditions, they can also feel great happiness.
    The findings have emerged from studies of farm animals that have found similar traits in pigs, goats and chickens. They suggest such animals may be so emotionally similar to humans that welfare laws need to be reconsidered.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

That's a great story but it's sad that they need 'scientific evidence' to prove something that anyone with half a brain already knows!

Stu

It's like when they recently tortured fish, to investigate whether or not they feel pain. Like, duh.

I think people must just tell themselves that animals (fish, or whatever) don't feel pain, so that they can merrily munch away at them without feeling anxious about it. I can sort of understand that, but at the same time it is pretty ridiculous.

What possible reason could people have for assuming that they don't feel pain or distress? If you're going to assume something, give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they DO!

From the article: "Sentient animals have the capacity to experience pleasure and are motivated to seek it," Professor Webster said.

"You only have to watch how cows and lambs both seek and enjoy pleasure when they lie with their heads raised to the sun on a perfect English summer's day. Just like humans."

When I read that I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness for all the billions of animals in factory farms and vivisection laboratories who only ever experience pain, fear and isolation and never see the sun.

Hooray, another rose tinted insulating layer that omnis hide their cruelty behind stripped away.

Although any vegan could of told the scientists this. We're just ignored for being emotional.

Of course they do. A lot of people don't want to think that they have emotions/feelings. It would make them a lot harder to eat.

It just figures that the name of the page is "The Other Side" and the other news items on the page are:

Man to test cockroach-eating record
    Man faces surgery after refusing to pee
    World first: an IVF camel
    Beauty pageant crowns Miss HIV
    New teabags cost $18,300 each
    Imates in separate cells conceive child
    Britons torture me, says Charles
    Dog is mum to tiger cubs
    Stone carving says Pope will live
    Exorcism broadcast on TV

Cows being capable of strong emotions like pain is just so wacky and far-out.

It really does disgust me that people think they aren't emotional. Look at your dog, cat, or whatever. They have those emotions. Why wouldn't a cow? Omni's sometimes like to look at it like we are seperated from all the other animals (them and us mentality). That was my outlook for 22 years! But really, we are animals too. Cows don't look at us as superior beings and lie down and die for us. It's the ego that tells people we have the right to take away other animals right to live. We are animals too. Where's the seperation??

The Pig Who Sang to the Moon, by Jeffrey Masson, is a very good book about the emotional lives of animals.