Thread: Fair Trade Fortnight

Default Fair Trade Fortnight

Check out this link. Fair trade fortnight starts 1st March.

Here

Green and Black's are doing a Maya Gold competition for the Fairtrade Fortnight, where you can win a fair few Maya Gold goodies - you can enter the competition here
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Ooh this sounds like a good one to try encourage friends and family to get involved in.
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Brighton has been named an official Fair Trade city (it doesn't seem to mention it on the website though), and we have a fair trade farmers' market once a month. there are loads of shops selling Fair Trade products here.

thanks for the link Aurora i couldn't see this on the website: Co-op supermarkets are doing a promotion with 20% off fair trade products for Fair Trade Fortnight.

thanks for the competition link PI
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    Brighton has been named an official Fair Trade city (it doesn't seem to mention it on the website though), and we have a fair trade farmers' market once a month. there are loads of shops selling Fair Trade products here.
    When and where is the market Gorilla? Sounds as if it's worth a visit.

Kevster

Fair Trade, not Free Trade
    4th Mar 2005

Caroline Lucas MEP celebrates FairTrade Fortnight

Green MEP Dr Caroline Lucas today joined Diana Gayle from the FairTrade Foundation in a talk about the independent FairTrade certification.

Caroline used to be the policy director on trade for a major UK NGO.

The meeting also included the launch of the Green Party's FairTrade frosted glass cafe latte mug, which eager delegates and journalists snapped up!

The meeting heard that the FairTrade Foundation is fighting to retain the importance of its third-party certification in the face of "Greenwash" from coffee producers such as Nestle, who are now marketing their own so-called "fairly traded" products.

Dr Lucas commented "FairTrade is a tremendously exciting and practical way to make a difference to the lives of people in developing countries. We often feel disempowered due to the unremitting unfairness of the global trade system, and the consumer power of Fairtrade provides people with a much-needed ethical choice".

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/index.php?nav=news&n=1831

hey *M*, the Brighton Fair Trade farmers' market is the third Saturday of the month, and is held in the Friends' Meeting Centre in Ship Street (round the back of the Lanes). the next one is 19th March, and it's always really busy. they were selling some meat though when i was last there...so be warned if that would bother you.

when Brighton officially became a Fair Trade city last year a concert was held in aid of the cause with Electrelane and support bands. it was really good.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: Fair Trade Fortnight

In this month's edition of NI (New Internationalist) there's an article about Fair Trade. It mentions that just as the US gave fair trade certification to Starbucks, so now Britain is awarding a fair trade label to Tesco (Britains biggest retailer and 3rd-largest in the world). As the writer, David Ransom, suggests, if people can trust the intent of Tesco and Starbucks, why bother with fair trade?
    Eve

You have a point there Eve

Default From fair trade clothing company People Tree

Saturday 14th May is World Fair Trade Day! The theme this year is ‘FAIR TRADE IS PEACE.'

anybody who can get to London this weekend, fair trade clothing company People Tree are holding a ‘FASHION MADE FAIR’ sale with other Fair Trade and ethical labels. the events are:

EVENT DATES & TIMES:
    Friday 13th 12PM - 8PM
    Saturday 14th 10AM - 6PM - WORLD FAIR TRADE DAY
    Sunday 15th 10AM - 6PM

EVENT LOCATION:
    Dray Walk Gallery
    Dray Walk (off Brick Lane)
    London EC1

FOR MORE INFORMATION: www.peopletree.co.uk

So come along to pick up the best bargains, meet the people behind the collections, and to celebrate the skill and workmanship of Fair Trade Fashion.

just a couple more ideas for World Fair Trade Day, thanks to Oxfam :

Carlisle
    Fair Trade Fashion Show
    Carlisle World Shop, Dalston
    Fashion Show with Fairtrade refreshments and stalls.
    01228 550385

Leicester
    Just fair trade fashion show
    Just, Town Hall Square
    Just's 8th Fair trade fashion show with live music, fair trade make-overs,interviews, big screen videos,info about make Poverty history campaign. Free fairtrade wine! Tickets £5/£2.50 in advance from Just £6/£3 on the door
    0116 255 9123
    www.justfairtrade.com

Milton Keynes
    Fair Trade Giveaway and 10% off day
    SUST!
    Sust! will be handing out FT goodies for passers by to sample as well as giving 10% discount on purchases of our Fair Trade goodies.
    01908 232255
    www.sustmk.co.uk

Petersfield
    Fair Enough Sale
    Dunhurst (Bedales Junior School), Steep
    Selling fair trade goods and promoting local sellers of fair trade products, as well as handing out promotional merchandise.
    fairtrade@xesign.com

Oxford
    Celebrating African jewellery
    Pula, North Parade
    Display of a huge range of African jewellery with notes on production methods and producer groups.
    01865 310604
    www.pula-uk.co.uk

Wigtown
    Launch of the Book Bag Company
    County Buildings, Wigtown
    The Book Bag Company is importing and marketing bags made from the natural fibre jute, with retail names and logos printed on them to be marketed in Wigtown, fair trade towns and through bookshop networks. The launch takes place in the County Buildings in Wigtown at lunchtime on World Fair Trade Day with Bangladeshi food available.
    01988 402036
    http://www.wigtown-booktown.co.uk

What is World Fair Trade Day?

World Fair Trade Day is a celebration of Fair Trade internationally, with events organised worldwide. On and around May 14th, IFAT member organisations based in 60 countries, along with Fair Trade shops and networks, will host events with campaigning and lobbying - all with the aim of promoting fairer trade with marginalised and small scale producers in the majority world. Fair Trade products, from coffee and tea, through clothes, jewelry, and beautiful handicrafts will be in the spotlight on this day, and throughout the month of May.

more info on the Official World Fair Trade Day Website

Default Re: From fair trade clothing company People Tree

Quote Gorilla
    anybody who can get to London this weekend, fair trade clothing company People Tree are holding a ‘FASHION MADE FAIR’ sale with other Fair Trade and ethical labels.
    Damn! Wish I could get to that as, uninterested though I mostly am in fashion, PeopleTree's stuff is jolly nice. I bought some ace sandals from their web site for £10 recently (just need the weather to warm up a bit now).

All the talk of fair trade lately on the forum, has really got me thinking about it. So - thanks to all of you for planting the seed!

I was at my local garden centre yesterday afternoon (bought a little basil plant and some potting mix). Anyway, they also sell a lot of decorative items, gift items etc.

I was looking at some little bird feeders and was almost about to buy one, and I thought to have a look where it was made. It said "Made In China". I decided to leave it, and thought I could probably find one just as nice, if not nicer, elsewhere, that was ethically made.

that's cool Roxy - is there much of a Fair Trade movement in Canada? hope you find a nice fairly traded bird feeder.

Quote harpy
    Damn! Wish I could get to that as, uninterested though I mostly am in fashion, PeopleTree's stuff is jolly nice. I bought some ace sandals from their web site for £10 recently (just need the weather to warm up a bit now).
    yes unfortunately i couldn't get there either but i do like People Tree's clothes. they're not usually that cheap though

Thanks for the People Tree's link Gorilla, they have some lovely looking clothes so i have joined their mailing list

Quote Gorilla
    i do like People Tree's clothes. they're not usually that cheap though
    Yes, I wondered how they could be fair traded and only £10 but they seem to be mostly made of string so at least the input costs are not too high

These fair traded "No Sweat" trainers are also quite cheap, and vegan:

http://www.pcs.org.uk/Templates/Inte...?NodeID=895177

Has anyone tried them?

i've seen those No Sweat trainers and they look cool, if i need a new pair of trainers i might get them as they're pretty reasonably priced.

[QUOTE=Gorilla] that's cool Roxy - is there much of a Fair Trade movement in Canada? hope you find a nice fairly traded bird feeder.

There isn't a big Fair Trade Movement, but there are groups of people advocating it.

There is an area in Vancouver called "Commercial Drive", which is a rather bohemian part of town. There is currently a group raising awareness of Fair Trade on the Drive, and are trying to have it known as "Fair Trade Drive", which I think is great! I think a lot of the folk who frequent that area, are of that mindset, so I think it will receive a lot of support.

When I get a little bit more money, I want to go down to Commercial Drive. There is a Fair Trade store there called Ten Thousand Villages. Maybe I will find a fairly traded bird feeder there