Thread: IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) diet

Zarrr

Default IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) diet

Hello everybody, I'm a 25 year old man.

I have IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease).

I need to be on a low fiber, high protein diet. The diet I'm referring to is called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I cannot have any cereals/starch for a year (which is fine!). I thought I could easily get all my protein from nuts, seeds, lentils, vegetables and other vegetarian foods allowed on the diet. But the first 2 - 3 months of the diet seem to be a problem. I need to get at least 70 grams of protein per day.

I can neither have nuts nor lentils for the next 2 months and I cannot introduce more vegetables into my diet for the next 2 - 3 weeks. Once your gut heals, you can have the vegetables again but for now, I really don't know what to do.

What would you do if you were in my place?

Nikorusama

Default Re: IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) diet

I have only been a vegan for around a month and I have IBS. I must say it ha made my IBS a lot worse. I think it's the high carbohydrate/fibre content of a vegan diet. There isn't really much of a way round it. I mean you could possibly eat lots of vegan burgers and sausages with a small amount of salad. Ae you not allowed Rice? If you are, probably make rice your main part of dish. I'm actually struggling with being a vegan with IBS, I know IBD is worse. I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation but perhaps if you are not vegan yet you should make the switch after the first few months. I may be alone here but I feel you should put your health first and I wouldn't advocate you do something that puts your health at risk. One the bowel has healed you can reassess the situation and see if you can turn vegan then.

Lots of tofu and lots of juice!

Zarrr

Quote Nikorusama View Post
    I have only been a vegan for around a month and I have IBS. I must say it ha made my IBS a lot worse. I think it's the high carbohydrate/fibre content of a vegan diet. There isn't really much of a way round it. I mean you could possibly eat lots of vegan burgers and sausages with a small amount of salad. Ae you not allowed Rice? If you are, probably make rice your main part of dish. I'm actually struggling with being a vegan with IBS, I know IBD is worse. I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation but perhaps if you are not vegan yet you should make the switch after the first few months. I may be alone here but I feel you should put your health first and I wouldn't advocate you do something that puts your health at risk. One the bowel has healed you can reassess the situation and see if you can turn vegan then.

Thank you for writing! I did consume meat for a while and I must say. that did not help at all. I'm back to being a vegetarian and will try my best to be a vegan once I feel even better. By the way, since you have IBS, you should look into FODMAPs. It is not just another diet, it has been extensively researched and it does wonders for IBS (and IBD too, most cases). You can happily be vegan while on a low FODMAP diet. Please let me know if you have any questions!