Thread: "not" news to us

Default "not" news to us

http://fcmconference.org/img/Cambrid...sciousness.pdf

Obviously i don't see this as news, but its nice that there finally is an admission that animals are conscious from the scientific community (who have historically perpetrated some of the most outrageous crimes against non-human animals) and maybe its an important first step against the deeply ingrained cartesian view of non-humans.

Default Re: "not" news to us

Interesting, thanks. Would be nice if they inferred that they should avoid doing nasty experiments on animals but I'm not sure they will

Harpy, my thoughts exactly :-/

On one side definitely interesting, but I shudder to contemplate the kinds of nasty experiments that animals were subjected to.
    Regards, Andy

Not sure if the experiments used to establish consciousness are of the worst sort, actually. I watched a bit of the octopus presentation and it mainly seemed to be about behavioural stuff (seeing how the octopus behaved under certain conditions) plus "single unit recording" which they also use on humans. Not great in that the octopuses were in captivity, and not "consenting" participants, of course.

I'm more concerned that some scientists may see the fact that animal brains are more similar to human ones than previously supposed as encouragement to do experiments with animals that they wouldn't be allowed to do with humans :/

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm more concerned that some scientists may see the fact that animal brains are more similar to human ones than previously supposed as encouragement to do experiments with animals that they wouldn't be allowed to do with humans :/
    I share this concern as well.