Thread: Toiletries

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Default Toiletries

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good deodorant please? I'm currently trying TOMS of maine apricot 24hrs, I used to use dove (their maximum one, before I made change to veganism). The TOMS one just isn't keeping me as dry, wondering if there is something like the dove one in strength, but as a stick/solid deodorant, I can't use roll ons or sprays.

Also any toothpastes out there that are good for sensitive teeth?

I've pretty much veganised my bathroom cupboards but need to find products that work for me

any opinions appreciated, thanks

Default Re: Recommendations - toileties

Have you tried the Lush deodorants? They are solid. Take a bit of getting used to, but I had one a few years ago that had a really nice perfume.

Superdrug do a whitenening sensitive toothpaste. (they probably just do a sensitive one too, but I get the whitening one, so I haven't noticed).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks, will brave lush at the weekend, have had a look at superdrug online, impressed at the labelling on products... shame its hard for other companies.

Cheers!

Hi there! i have used the Lush one for a good month or two now! I love it, smells very herby ha BUT i do find if your out all day you do need to add it a few times a day :/
    As for tooth paste I use Dr.Organic ( you can get it in Holland and Barrets!) They save several sents im currently using a pomegranate one! its vegan and Cruelty free :_)

I use Superdrug products - Leaping Bunny, vegan, in my price range and great value for money. Their sensitive toothpaste and sensitive mouthwash are very good. I use their spray and roll-on antiperspirants, but haven't looked if they do sticks. If they don't, then I totally go with the recommendation above - Lush deodorants are...lush!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Thanks for every ones replies, I had a look around Superdrug at the weekend, underestimated how vegan they were... have shopping list ready for when I go again. Couldn't see any stick deodorants (for girls or boys ) but will try the one in Brighton and lush while I'm there. Will have to set myself a budget though, have been known to spend far too much in lush,

Default Re: Toileties

I love it when I spend £20 in Superdrug and come out with bulging bags! And now they have a points card - even better! Good luck with your shopping

Has anyone tried those Crystal deodorant sticks?

DissolveEGO

I use coconut oil. Make sure that it is raw, cold-pressed, extra-virgin and preferably organic. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties, just to name one of it's superfood strengths. Plus, it smells great. AND, it tastes great! I use it in my smoothies and I use coconut oil as a body lotion, as well. I recommend creating your own personal small jar for body and use the original sterile jar as a superfood ingredient to prevent cross-contamination. The best part is that there is only ONE ingredient. Nothing toxic. Preferably, after a cool shower, just scoop a small amount from the jar (preferably, glass over plastic) and rub it into your arm pits and other private areas (and, YES, it is amazingly safe AND beneficial for female parts). It lasts all day, for me. Yet, then again... I don't smell too much anyway... ever since I became vegan and adopted my organic, RAW, Sunfood lifestyle. Another fun and delicious deodorant that I use is RAW, organic cacao BUTTER (cacao is original raw chocolate). Smear some cacao butter wherever you'd like and you will have a light scent of chocolate. Mmmm! So, gooood! Give it a try. Oh, and it absorbs well. Embrace the momentary oily feel. Plus, it does not stain clothing. PEACE!

My girlfriend and I use the Naturally Fresh brand of crystal deodorant, but we use the liquid roll on kind because wetting the crystal and it dripping was a bit annoying. As a guy I can get a stinky short after a shower if I start sweating. Using this deodorant, it feels like I sweat less and it lasts all day. We use the unscented one, all though they also have some scented ones. The actual crystals last forever, the roll on last quite a long while.

Quote MissCoco View Post
    Yes. No idea if it works though, or is just a fallacy. (Ie, wouldn't be sweating / stinking anyway). I tend to use it on normal work etc days. Where there is going to be a chance of above normal activity levels (or a snog), I use normal AP deodorant.

Not much help, I know - apologies.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote MissCoco View Post
    I use crystal deodorants, I have a spray and a stick. I feel like I smell less when I use them but I guess you'd have to ask the people around me! When I know I'm going to be close to people (ie at work) I sometimes use Lush solid perfume just to be sure. I like the vanilla one
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Toiletries

The crystals are awesome IMO. I've used one for at least 6 or 7 years (and haven't had anyone complaining yet...!!!)
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

The Toms lemongrass is the one I have been using and I have found that I have to use it a few times a day if I am working out or doing anything that will make me sweat. I think I am going to try the crystals one though after reading all the great reviews!
    Tanya

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    The Toms lemongrass is the one I have been using and I have found that I have to use it a few times a day if I am working out or doing anything that will make me sweat. I think I am going to try the crystals one though after reading all the great reviews!
    I used to use a Tom's one (some sort of floral one, can't remember the name) but I've found that the crystals work better. You still sweat but I feel like I don't smell, that the crystal neutralises the smell or something. Maybe it's all in my head.
    Houmous atá ann!

^^^^ That's probably the Tom's Calendula you use (got my work-hat on!)

I used to have a lump of crystal in a wee bag which I used for a while. I had no problems. I agree with you, Blueberries. I think it is just the smell which is neutralized. It's not an anti-perspirant.

PitROK and Faith In Nature do crystal deodorants. Faith In Nature do either crystal stick or crystal roll-ons. PitROK do roll-ons, crystal stick, or crystal spray.

A quick google search gave me this link. http://www.naturalcosmeticnews.com/f...al-deodorants/

To sum up what it says, the crystal is made out of potassium alum which they get from rocks. It gets cut and shaped into the deodorant and shipped out. The way it works is that it is water soluble, so if you wet the crystal or rub it onto wet skin, a layer of the mineral salt will stick to your armpit, which makes it inhospitable for bacteria. When the deodorant dries you don't feel it, and as it keeps bacteria from growing, you can sweat normally and not stink up the place!

When the human body sweats it is basically just releasing salt and water through sweat glands in the skin. Contrary to popular belief, sweat does not have a distinctive smell of its own. The smell associated with sweat is actually caused by bacteria on the skin that eats sweat and excretes waste; and it is the bacteria waste that produces a foul odor. And, yes, everyone has bacteria on their skin, and it is perfectly normal. The bacteria on our skin ordinarily does not produce a noticeable smell, but when sweat is present the bacteria begins to rapidly grow and produce an increasing amount of odor.

Potassium alum is a natural anti-microbial that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria. As an anti-microbial potassium alum adjusts the pH of the skins surface and creates an environment where bacteria cannot grow. Therefore, odor is prevented, and the body is able to maintain its proper course of eliminating toxins through sweat, as well as controlling body temperature, all without odor.