Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

I have decided to go vegan, both for health reasons as well as the treatment of animals. I have recently seen the news reports of the way farmers are treating these animals and have decided that is not necessary for me to participate in this insanity. The only problem I have is that I dont like vegetables, so I dont know how hard this is going to be for me. I do like some vegetables, but not enough to sustain me. I figured that could perhaps train myself to eat them and eventually like them, but i dont know if thats possible or not. I do know however, that i want to be serious, but need to learn to eat all over again. The only way i was able to eat veggies in the past was to cover it with cheese, and my decision to go vegan limits that. I was wondering if there are any vegans out there who have had similar problems that could perhaps enlighten me on how you were able to transition. Eating veggies is very foreign to me, but i think i would rather starve than eat meat again. Any suggestions? thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Newbie question

I myself am not crazy about the bitter green veggies, but it's all about finding ones you like. I like the sweeter veggies, like squash, zucchini, carrots, scallions and aubergines. You have to try them all first. And seasoning them with different things. Making a salad with sweet fruit, where you eat both the veggies and the fruit in the same bite works for me. If all else fails, bake them into a pot pie.

But that's more about just getting your veggies. A lot of vegan cuisine doesn't necessarily have vegetables in it.

Quote Donnamichelle View Post
    The only problem I have is that I don't like vegetables
    Hi!

Which vegetables/plants do you like (including beans, fruits, nuts, spices, rice, potatoes, salad, and plants like corn and avocado which actually are flower plants)?

Any Thai/Mexican/Indian/Italian/Lebanese (as in hummus, falafel etc) or other international food you like?

Which plants do you always avoid?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanx for the replies. I would love to find some dishes without veggies just to switch up. i do like salads, lettuce and tomatoes, ccumber. I also like spinach and broccoli and corn. I love rice and pasta i love italian food. Oh, i also like carrots and onions, and cabbage. I usually avoid all others.

Spincah, broccoli, corn, carrots, onions, cabbage.... this won't be a problem. Maybe you should experiment a little with meals containing beans/legumes like curries, lentil soups, chick pewa stew, mexican style beans (with salsa/guacamole) etc to get some variation (and more than enough preotein)... But if you look around at the ten thousands of posts we already have abouut vegan meals, I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff which looks good!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hi Donnamichelle, maybe at first you could start with making meals using the vegetables you do like and then gradually incorporate a little of the ones you aren't as keen on. I used to dislike mushrooms until I started using them little by little in stir-frys.........now I love them!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think if you continue to eat the veggies that you do like, others will follow, but don't expect to like all vegetables. I used to hate ALL vegatables, even the ones that you like. I was the guy at the fast food restaurant ordering a burger without any veggies. Now I actually love broccoli and couliflower and could eat these steamed and unseasoned.

If you want to try some new vegetables, try them in a dish that look tasty.

What helps me get through is being creative.

Some ideas ... Ratatouille (a French dish made by placing courgettes, tomatoes, red peppers, aubergines in the oven for a very long time). I also like to eat vegetables Antipasti-style (the Italian starters where you basically put all kinds of vegetables and a liberal amount of olive oil in a dish and bake it in the oven). Those go nicely with other dishes.

What I would suggest is to try out different varieties of tofu - you might find it strange in the beginning, but many come to love it.

Also, take a look at cous-cous - some kind of pre-cooked grain that has pasta-like properties, a very fast way to make a tasty dish.

Best regards,
    Andy

I would like to add a tiny bit to Andy_T's post. Whenever you prepare tofu, prepare it like you would meat. I see a lot of places give very...shall I saw crappy tofu? For example, I ordered a pizza from a place that has vegan cheese and tofu options. The jerk tofu we ordered looked like it was lightly steamed and slapped with the jerk spices, it was mushy and uncooked.

When I decided to go vegan, my girlfriend told me that tofu was crude, you have to cook it. So I chopped it up and threw it in the frying pan with a bit of oil and a bunch of spices and pan fried it until golden grown. The texture is MUCH more appetizing than mushy tofu.

Hi,

This is something I can relate to as I hate fresh veg, salad etc. (which people often find amusing as I am vegan ;-)
    but, being vegan doesn't mean you have to give up "junk food" ;-)
    You can still eat chips, lots of vegan sausages/burgers to choose from, baked beans, vegan pies etc. etc. so you don't have to start eating all healthy to be a vegan....
    You can make custard with soya milk, so things like apple pie and custard are still possible.
    also, lots of Indian food can be vegan

It is of course a good idea to try and eat more fresh veg etc. but what I am saying is don't feel this is all you can eat from now on if you want to be vegan.

Tortilla wraps!

I usually fill them with baked beans, white rice, guacamole, some tomato salsa and whatever else you like (e.g. vegan hamburger etc.)

Best regards,
    Andy

I hate vegetables more than you do(dislikes spinach, lettuce, peas, cauliflower, etc. etc.)
    And I still don't like them. But I try to hide them in wraps and sandwiches with veggie burgers or tofu or seitan sandwiches on some days. and other days, I just blend them to hell with a frozen banana and make a "green smoothie." Hope that helps.
    “We do not have the right to be not offended” -Someone on Earth

I actually LOVE Oriental and Mexican food. I make my own variations of stir fry, homemade granola, vegetarian granola......chocolate cake and tons of cupcakes and cookies. Being vegan is no about what you have to give up and make yourself deal with.....if you don't like something just move on to trying something else. If you experiment you will find so many things that taste great! Do not expect to love everything, but see it as an adventure to self discovery!!!!! It also helps if you love to cook......
    Tanya