Thread: - World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

Default - World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

- World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

An excerpt from http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...190426669.html :

By the year 2050, you may be forced to become a vegetarian. That is, if Sweden's water scientists are to be believed.
    According to the Stockholm International Water Institute, "There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations."
    Humans now derive about 20 percent of their daily protein intake from animal-based products, reports London's Guardian. But a new report published by the institute says the world's population will have to cut that figure to 5 percent by 2050 to accommodate the planet's "considerable regional water deficits."
    Why not just produce more food?
    "Nine hundred million people already go hungry and 2 billion people are malnourished in spite of the fact that per capita food production continues to increase," the report said. "With 70% of all available water being in agriculture, growing more food to feed an additional 2 billion people by 2050 will place greater pressure on available water and land."
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: - World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

A minor flaw in the logic there ...

Does not 2 billion already people going hungy and malnourished mean that we are happier to starve as many people as as is necesary to protect others from vegetarianism?

I'm thinking there that if culling humans by the billions were not preferable to giving up meat then we were all 'forced' to go vegetarian many tens of years ago.

Headline should read "Human Cull by Starvation to Increase Dramaticaly by 2050" is what I reckon.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: - World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Does not 2 billion already people going hungy and malnourished mean that we are happier to starve as many people as as is necesary to protect others from vegetarianism?
    Exactly what I was thinking. People have already made it quite clear that they're willing to sacrifice the lives of both humans and animals for their own self indulgence. I don't think it's quite that clear cut however, as people aren't usually faced with making the choice of making the choice of eating meat and starving someone to death right in front of them, there's a lot of psychological issues that go on. Net result though is the same.

Still, 2050 is a long way off yet, lots can change in that time. Since this is about water usage, there's lots of time to improve water desalination/energy production, changes to be made in the way fresh water is used etc. That and/or a pandemic or two or one or more massive wars.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth