Thread: Two different ways of writing about athletes living on a vegan diet

Default Two different ways of writing about athletes living on a vegan diet

We have discussed biased ways of informing about vegans and vegan food a few times on this forum, and here are are two recent examples - both from yesterday - showing how much difference a just the wording in title can make:

Venus Williams proves vegan diet virtues as she wins U.S. Open game

Despite Vegan Diet, Arian Foster Leads as Favorite NFL Rusher
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Two different ways of writing about athletes living on a vegan diet

Is the wording in the second title to do with the fact that it's Texas which from what I hear is a very meat orientated place? Therefore the title is probably just reflecting the views of the local fans and what they expect of a vegan diet, rather than the authors view.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Is the wording in the second title to do with the fact that it's Texas which from what I hear is a very meat orientated place? Therefore the title is probably just reflecting the views of the local fans and what they expect of a vegan diet, rather than the authors view.
    That's what I took from it too.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I just find the first one very positive about veganism and the second one negative. I don't think it's about where they are from at all. It's about how the writer feels about veganism, and a reflection on them

They both seem fairly positive to me.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Either some misunderstanding over what vegans actualy eat or this guy is consuming massive amounts of minerals ..

... it hasn’t hurt him. Nor has his planet-based lifestyle ...
    All done in the best possible taste ...

The wording "despite" makes it seem to me like immediately he is reinforcing (or trying to reinforce) the assumption that meat based diets are preferable and this guy is simply and odd exception. Regardless this may alter some people's thinking on the issue.

I liked Arian's quote
    “People say I can’t be a vegan. But all Mario ate was flowers and mushrooms and look how big & strong he was. Plus he could spit fireballs. [sic]”