Thread: An open letter to Whole Foods

Default An open letter to Whole Foods

Hey guys, I am trying to propagate this letter written by Historian and vegan activist James McWilliams to the Whole Foods chain requesting them to stop selling meat in their stores.

Here is the letter

And to email your own support of this idea, he has provided contact to <Beth.Krauss@wholefoods.com>.

If you are near whole foods or simply want to support this, please write a quick email!

Thanks

Default Re: An Open Letter to Whole Foods

Thanks for the link, definitely going to send one their way.

There's a small vegan shop here, the owner is very nice and he told me that WF used to be vegan when they started and that they sold out. Anyone know anything about that?

Not really. I do know that the CEO is vegan, so maybe it was vegan to begin and profits lagged or something?

That's what I got too from the conversation I had, it seemed like they weren't making enough. Not sure why he couldn't just keep it a smaller store, other than wanting more money.

The small vegan store here is all vegan, but the size of a small convenience store, and the prices on some things might be a smidge higher than at WF. They seem to be doing well though because they just moved to a bigger location. So when I hear WF was like that and then sold out it's like....damn.

If they don't stop selling meat, I hope they would at least do something about keeping the carcass smell from the rest of the store. I just got back from the closer, smaller WF from where I am. It didn't have all the stuff the bigger one did, but I didn't smell meat and fish throughout the store. The big one is constantly reeking of meat and fish, but have the biggest selection of vegan stuff, a lot of stuff that you can't find at other health food stores or that little vegan shop.

Wow...that turned into a bit of a rant lol. Thanks for the change.org petition.

Yeah its a tough issue. I definitely wouldn't want them to go under cause they have good vegan stuff too. It would be cool even if they tried it in some places to see how it did or something?

Technically, I am not a pure vegan because I eat eggs from my own chickens.
    This makes me like WF just a little bit less. It's a quote from this http://grist.org/article/little-mackey/, an interview with the CEO of WF. At least I believe that's him, didn't know his name or face before this. He treats his chickens well, he says, but he's still eating the eggs.

To me, this makes it VERY unlikely that he would care to close down the meat counters, since he speaks about how he makes sure the meat is raised "humanely" and seems to have no issues with it. That being said, the petition has been signed. It's nice seeing the number on it grow, hopefully they'll pay attention to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like we posted at the same time.

I think that would be great too, testing a few stores as vegan or at least vegetarian. If they do well, they could at least open a few all veg WF where there was enough demand. Still...if I was vegan, and I started WF, I would have wanted it to be vegan rather than sell out, even if I end up making less money.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow...the more I read the interview the more I dislike this person.