Thread: Steaming soy milk for latte

Default Steaming soy milk for latte

I have never been to a Starbucks before..I met a friend there on Saturday and had a soy chai latte/ Loved it. How can I make the foam with soy milk at home? I asked them specifically if it had any milk and they said none. They mentioned that they used a special silk soy milk. Anyone here with experience steaming and frothing soy milk? Thanks!

Starbucks is able to get an amazing head of foam on their soy lattes. I had not really thought about how do they do it before. They use a box of silksoy that I don't think I have seen on the grocery shelf. Maybe we should ask to check their label? They used to use westsoy. I thought it tasted better but it did not get that foamy head like the silk does. Humm.

BTW... in answer to the basic question, you need a steamer like you would find on an espresso machine. The steamer attachment on my little garage sale espresso maker seems to do fine. A thermometer is also helpful, you are basically foaming the milk with steam until it comes to temperature.

Ari... who loves the foamy yum of steamed Chai also.

Pooh

Question

Chai - do you mean, Indian style, but without soy milk instead of cows milk? Is that any good?

Yes, indian style chai late with soy milk and soy milk foam.. it was great. Their web site (Starbucks) speaks highly of silk. But I recently discovered something about soy with carageenan being a health hazard. One side of me says I do so well on most of my stuff anyways, why should I bother with this one thing, esp since I am addicted to silk. Thanks for the tips guys.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/silk.asp

Quote amritab@yahoo.com
    How can I make the foam with soy milk at home? I asked them specifically if it had any milk and they said none. They mentioned that they used a special silk soy milk. Anyone here with experience steaming and frothing soy milk? Thanks!
    I have a frother that is similar to a french press. I put warm soy milk with a little touch of oil (least flavorful oil and only a couple drops) and pump the frother. I can get a huge head of froth doing it that way. I even make my hot chocolate that way. The same goes when I make home made soy ice cream - - I have to add a little bit of oil. It works like a charm.

Here's a link to a picture of the type of frother I have http://www.kitchen--shop.com/Bodum-B...lk-Frother.asp

Lolakey -
    thanks for the tip. the oil would make sense since th4e reason cow milk typically steams better is because of the fat. what type of oil do you use now? I love Bodum products and would love to use it. I alsor ecently bought an ice cream maker, mainly for hubby and to make sorbets for myself..I do love soy delicious ice cream and would love to make my own non dairy ice creams. Any good web sites or books? I think I got some recipes from vegsource web site. someone posted articles using potato starch and doy protein powder as thickeners.

if you have an esspresso machine, you put the soy milk in a metal cup, about halfway full. you put the steamer right below the surface and swirl it a bit. you make it just lke regular steamed milk, but with soy. it takes a little practice.

Right now the least flavorful oil in my cabinet is corn oil. It works well.

I make soy ice cream in a bag by putting soy milk, oil, sugar and what ever else I can into a sealed baggie. Put that baggie into a bigger sealed baggie with ice and salt and shake for 10 minutes.

An ice cream maker would be fun. Maybe when I stop moving around so much I'll buy one.

Default Re: Steaming soy milk for latte

Hello...

Just wanted to say that you might want to check out the chai latte formula they use for their lattes. I was drinking the Starbucks chai lattes with soy milk for awhile, only to discover that the chai latte packets they sell (the powder used to make the chai lattes, prob. the very same stuff they make when they serve it to you over the counter) is made with skim milk powder and some other dairy ingredient, i think.

tails4wagging

Quote onion
    Hello...

Just wanted to say that you might want to check out the chai latte formula they use for their lattes. I was drinking the Starbucks chai lattes with soy milk for awhile, only to discover that the chai latte packets they sell (the powder used to make the chai lattes, prob. the very same stuff they make when they serve it to you over the counter) is made with skim milk powder and some other dairy ingredient, i think.

Oh bloomin heck!!! I often have one of those, what about the soya cappochinos, is that the same??.

You can buy the specially-formulated Silk from Starbucks for around $2.20 US, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a tall (smallest size) soy latte.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

cross barer

Quote amritab@yahoo.com
    I recently discovered something about soy with carageenan being a health hazard.
    Can you post more info please?

There's this: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...10/ai_86169623

Experiments on rats

Considering earlier tests showed that guinea pigs were a special case in being sensitive to carageenan, exactly how do they justify testing on rats - it's obviously not a substance that acts the same in all mammals.

I have no idea... but I now avoid the problem by just ordering regular coffee (black) and then asking for their carton of soy milk to put in my coffee. That way I can see exactly what they are putting in my drink! You'd have to ask about the other lattes, but I woudln't be surprised if many of the speciality drinks they advertise are made with a powder-type recipe. Sucks, eh?!

I know that the liquid Tazo chai (in the box/carton) you can get in the grocery store includes honey, and I think that's the same kind starbucks uses also. Not 100% sure on that, though. They might use a powder. I would ask to see the ingredient label.

What's this about carageenan? I'm afraid I don't even know what that is!

Quote Lindsay
    I know that the liquid Tazo chai (in the box/carton) you can get in the grocery store includes honey, and I think that's the same kind starbucks uses also. Not 100% sure on that, though. They might use a powder. I would ask to see the ingredient label.

What's this about carageenan? I'm afraid I don't even know what that is!
    According to this woman on the livejournal community:
    my husband and i work for starbuck's, and first of all you can ignore what that person said about the steamer. it's cleaned after every drink. and we obviously use separate pitchers for soy and milk. also ignore what the person said about chai - the chai we sell as merchandise and the chai we use are different. what we use does not have honey.

basically anything but the white mocha and caramel machiato are safe. here's a partial list, but again, anything but those and obviously the frappucchinos.

soy mocha
    soy hot chocolate
    soy latte
    soy flavored latte (vanilla, hazelnut, almond, caramel, etc etc - all are vegan)
    soy creme (any syrup again)
    soy cappuccino
    soy misto (cafe au lait)
    coffee
    tea
    you can ice any of the above drinks to make them the cold version
    and the tazo ice blended teas

so basically anything is fine, just stay far away from the fraps, the white mocha, and the caramel sauce.
    and:

you can still get the tazo tea fraps - vegan. also, the chai we sell and the chai we use ourselves is different. our soy chai drinks are vegan. ;P yay.
    If you wish to read the whole thread, or find the multiple other ones on the subject you can start here: http://www.livejournal.com/community...le/432110.html
    There is also info about the steamers starbucks uses and how they are thouroughly cleaned after each use ect...We just got ours and I have yet to go in there. I never have the money.

Hope that helps!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

tails4wagging

Phew, thanks!!!!

VeganJohn

I really like the vegan falafel wraps they do in Starbucks. I used to go for breakfast last summer when I worked near a Starbucks

Mr. Artichoke and I shared an iced chai yesterday, and man, it was good!!

Please note that the pumpkin spice latte, even if ordered with soymilk, is not even close to vegan. The second ingredient in the pumpkin mix is cow milk-derived, and that's not the last of it. I'm glad I asked before ordering!

There's UK and US people posting in this thread not making the distinction that starbucks whilst a global chain may (and probably doesn't) not use the same recipes in different countries, depending on who their suppliers are, what's cheaper etc. I know for a fact that in the UK they use a different brand of soya milk to the US.

Personally I really wouldn't take the word of anyone in a forum post about a companies products (I'd much rather ask the company directly (when I say company i mean the regional office not stores which are normally run by idiots)), and I would completely dismiss comments by those not in my country.

Finally, what are any of you guys doing having stuff that you don't know the ingrediants of/isn't labelled vegan?

As for frothing soya milk, if it's still relevant, it's best to use soya milk as opposed to soya drink. Starbucks lattes (made with apple sweetened traditional soya milk) are far better than costa, who use fresh So Good (a white liquid that contains soya protein). It can be quite hard to get a cappacino head with soya milk, and I've met many people working in coffee places that refuse to try. The other comments in the thread about using an espresso machine's steamer, a thermometer etc are all relevant. It's important to make sure you steam the soya milk seperate before adding to espresso, and that the milk and espresso are hot to help the milk from seperating.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

[QUOTE=Mr Flibble As for frothing soya milk, if it's still relevant, it's best to use soya milk as opposed to soya drink. Starbucks lattes (made with apple sweetened traditional soya milk) are far better than costa, who use fresh So Good (a white liquid that contains soya protein). It can be quite hard to get a cappacino head with soya milk, and I've met many people working in coffee places that refuse to try. The other comments in the thread about using an espresso machine's steamer, a thermometer etc are all relevant. It's important to make sure you steam the soya milk seperate before adding to espresso, and that the milk and espresso are hot to help the milk from seperating.[/QUOTE]

anyone know if cafe nero do soy milk?
    one is opening near where i work.

Cafe Nero does the best Latte in my town (I prefer Coffee Republic, but they have yet to open here).

I have no idea if they do soy though. The last time I went in there was during my veggie days.

Okay this isn't anything like Starbucks, it tastes more like Tim Horton's cappuccino (yummy but nothing like "real cappucino"):

Warm up soy milk on the stove, stirring occasionally to avoid scolding

Pour it into a mug, add 1 spoonful of French vanilla flavoured instant coffee OR 1 spoonful of normal instant coffee and a few drops of vanilla extract

Add 1-2 spoonfuls of sugar, according to taste

Talking Re: Steaming soy milk for latte

I used to do this with milk and I think it would work with soymilk: heat soymilk slowly in a saucepan, once it's warmed to boiling, or nearly, remove from heat, take a whisk and hold it btwn ur hands, the rapidly move your hands banck and forth across each other, it should make the soymilk nice and frothy. Sorry i haven't tried it before, but let me know if it work, lol.
    Peace Love Surf.

i work at starbucks and the boxed chai we use for lattes does in fact contain honey. it's the boxed tazo chai, and i'm 100% on this.

i've never tried steaming soya milk but i get annoyed when it separates in my coffee all the milk steamers i've seen are quite expensive and i don't have a posh cappuccino/espresso machine (just a regular, second-hand percolator ). so, i was in a local pound shop and saw a battery-operated milk frothing mug which sounded like a bargain, and it actually works quite well it makes a pretty good latte-style coffee.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I have just bought a kenwood frothie. Pretty good. Just add milk, water and coffee, switch on and walk away. Pour out when stopped. Lovely. It does take a bit of cleaning though, but a bargin at around £40

You might want to talk to your store manager, JGran, about following Starbuck's policies and using the correct Tazo Chai (the one w/o honey, which most stores in Indiana use).

Quote Gorilla
    i've never tried steaming soya milk but i get annoyed when it separates in my coffee all the milk steamers i've seen are quite expensive and i don't have a posh cappuccino/espresso machine (just a regular, second-hand percolator ). so, i was in a local pound shop and saw a battery-operated milk frothing mug which sounded like a bargain, and it actually works quite well it makes a pretty good latte-style coffee.

I use one a battery operated frother and I think it's fine!

As for the separating issue, have you tried adding more milk? My Mum's coffee always ends up going funny and I'm convinced it's because she only has a small amount of milk in it. The stage at which you add the milk is supposed to be important, but I do it either way and it works for me. I always heat the milk first though and I'm sure that does make a difference.

Quote puffin
    I have just bought a kenwood frothie. Pretty good. Just add milk, water and coffee, switch on and walk away. Pour out when stopped. Lovely. It does take a bit of cleaning though, but a bargin at around £40
    That would be extremely lazy, Puffin, if you didn't have to clean it!!

Quote Artichoke47
    You might want to talk to your store manager, JGran, about following Starbuck's policies and using the correct Tazo Chai (the one w/o honey, which most stores in Indiana use).
    i could talk to him but we get our tazo chai straight from the starbucks warehouse. are you sure the chai in indiana is different?

Quote jgran
    i work at starbucks and the boxed chai we use for lattes does in fact contain honey. it's the boxed tazo chai, and i'm 100% on this.
    Me so ignorant. Now, bye-bye delish soy chai lattés.

Have you every tried Goddess Chocolate? Gently heat some of the 200 ml soymilk in a saucepan, and slowly stir in 50 gram of finely grated dark chocolate, until it melts. Add remaining soymilk, plus a tspn of raw sugar, quarter tspn vanilla extract, 1 tspn of orange zest and a cinnamon stick. Let it all simmer for 5 minutes then remove the cinnamon stick, and enjoy!
    Eve

sounds like a plan

I only ever make hot chocolate using proper chocolate these days. I don't see the point in using crappy powder when using real chocolate tastes far superior

Is 50g a bit much for only 200ml though?

Quote cherry
    I use one a battery operated frother and I think it's fine!

As for the separating issue, have you tried adding more milk? My Mum's coffee always ends up going funny and I'm convinced it's because she only has a small amount of milk in it. The stage at which you add the milk is supposed to be important, but I do it either way and it works for me. I always heat the milk first though and I'm sure that does make a difference.
    it doesn't seem to matter how much milk i put in, it always separates unless i froth it up first. how much do you heat the milk and how do you do it? i find soya milk difficult to heat without it burning/curdling - maybe i buy rubbish soya milk, or maybe i'm just rubbish!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote cherry
    That would be extremely lazy, Puffin, if you didn't have to clean it!!
    He he, yes it would be. Of course i clean it out everytime i use it or it would be pretty horrible. The thing is, it heats the milk up and it sticks like glue on the hot plate at the bottom, so it takes a bit of scrubbing after

Thanks for posting that, JGran, because it looks like they changed it or I was lied to. I will check into this further and in the meantime avoid the Chai once again until I know for sure (once again). This is crazy!

FR

Quote VeganJohn
    I really like the vegan falafel wraps they do in Starbucks. I used to go for breakfast last summer when I worked near a Starbucks
    I was in a Starbucks today and there was no sign of falafel wraps. Is this just a UK thing?

Starbucks (like McDonalds, Bugerking and most multinational fast food places) are very different country to country. Even if they do sell the same products you really should never assume they have the same ingrediants.

I'd just like to point out that lattés are supposed to be FLAT!! That means very very little foam . Caps, however, are foamy.

Now, to get the best foam from your steamer, put the tip just barely below the surface level of the liquid. The idea is to create the smallest bubbles as possible. Play around with your steamer your you'll see what I mean. Anyway, the fat in the milk is what holds the bubbles together.. Thus, soymilk works pretty well.

Now that there are 'Light' varieties of soymilk, it's possible to have a double skinny soy mocha with sprinkles. Let's get decadent!
    Ask not what your rest home can do for you. Ask what you can do for your rest home.

FR

Well, I called their 800# and low and behold - they are not available in Indiana, but are available in various other states.

I guess that is due to the backwards/red state/Republican/non-vegan friendly mindstate a good number of people are stuck in here.

do u know if falafel wraps are available in california?
    Peace Love Surf.

i picked up an espresso machine from walmart for $20.

works nicely

you can also just heat the soymilk up in a pot, while whipping it with a wisk. it turns out just as good

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.co...airy-milk.html

this blog article talks about soymilk milk curddling and what foams best.

i actually never have a problem with my soymilk curdling, and I pour it in when it is icy cold. Only occasionally do i see a few "flakes" which i assume is the curdling everyone speaks of? Just maybe a few times a year with 5 or 6 tiny flakes.

According to this article, it is the acid and roast of your coffee that makes the milk curddle. And it can happen to cow's milk too! who knew!

"Further to the soymilk-curdling-in-coffee question, Julie, I found this on, of all things, the National Dairy Council site (!): "...The acid in coffee, along with coffee's heat, favor curdling of cream." From Oregon State U. site; "The phenolics and acids in coffee may curdle the cream. This is especially true if the coffee is hot ..."

Now, about the coffee: "The acid content in a brew is also greatly dependent upon the roast degree, type of roaster, and brewing method." (from http://www.coffeeresearch.org/) They show the types of acids in coffee and point out that there is a maximum concentration of acetic, malic, and citric acids in light roasted coffee. And: "In regards to the concentration of citric, malic, lactic, pyruvic and acetic acid, Blank found that a typical medium roast coffee consisted of 0.30%, 0.22%, 0.13%, 0.07%, and 0.27% of each acid, respectively (Clarke, 25). At very light roasts, Blank found that the total concentration of these acids was around 1.58%, while at dark roasts these acids could drop down to 0.71%."

They also showed that a quick-brewing method (such as the steam method of espresso, or the European plunger or French press method) results in less acid in the brew. Also, oddly, less caffeine, even with the darker bean. "

I use a french press, with a dark roast organic coffee. recently, I have been buying mexican coffee.

Quote jgran View Post
    i could talk to him but we get our tazo chai straight from the starbucks warehouse. are you sure the chai in indiana is different?
    i work for starbucks too, and i'm 100% certain that the chai syrup we use for the chai lattes have honey.

Well that's good to know!! Thanks!

jkhdfk

There's no need for a steamer. I just add a couple of drops of sunflower oil to a container of warmed soy milk, then shake. Voilą!