Thread: I love vegetables! But I need some help!

GreenBeans

Default I love vegetables! But I need some help!

Over the summer, I was eating about six meals a day consisting of plenty of greens (kale and spinach usually), berries (notably blueberries), seeds (esp. flax, pumpkin and walnut), fruit, other vegetables, beans, avocado and EVOO. I was also taking a rice-based, vegan protein p Everything was working just fine until I started school, and despite continuing my six meals a day (making meals and taking them to school), I'd been experiencing some serious brain fog, headaches, and focus issues, speech trouble and severe lethargy.

Now, I know this is a forum for vegans, so you might wince a little as I go on, but hopefully, you're open to this sort of thing in regards to converts:

I fixed the problems by eating canned salmon and clams.

I'm here because I want to know from what vegan sources can I acquire the nutrients that put me back into working shape?

Quote GreenBeans View Post
    Over the summer, I was eating about six meals a day consisting of plenty of greens (kale and spinach usually), berries (notably blueberries), seeds (esp. flax, pumpkin and walnut), fruit, other vegetables, beans, avocado and EVOO. I was also taking a rice-based, vegan protein p Everything was working just fine until I started school, and despite continuing my six meals a day (making meals and taking them to school), I'd been experiencing some serious brain fog, headaches, and focus issues, speech trouble and severe lethargy.

Now, I know this is a forum for vegans, so you might wince a little as I go on, but hopefully, you're open to this sort of thing in regards to converts:

I fixed the problems by eating canned salmon and clams.

I'm here because I want to know from what vegan sources can I acquire the nutrients that put me back into working shape?
    Sounds like you just weren't eating enough. I know you say that you were eating six meals a day but I think you need to eat a bit more substantially. It could just be that you're not getting enough calories for your increased activity level. You're eating good food, you just need to eat more of it and possibly add some more carbohydrates such as brown rice, wholegrain bread, quinoa or pasta.

The fact that fish made you feel better could be psychological or it could mean that your body wasn't making enough EPA and DHA from the plant-based ALA omega 3s you're getting from your flaxseeds. You should try a vegan DHA/EPA supplement, they are made from algae.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: I love vegetables! But I need some help!

I take Flaxseed Oil as a supplement, I take 1200mg a day of EPA/ALA, which is 2000mg flaxseed oil I think, which is for my depression, but you could take something like this?
    It's definitely possible to get what you need through vegan food sources.
    I also take a multivitamin, you could consider this too?
    You could also think about eating more types of protein, I know you said you take the powder, but eating a varied diet is always recommended. Ie pulses, beans,nuts, soya etc.
    good luck.

Default Re: I love vegetables! But I need some help!

My diet is very similar to yours, but I also include whole grains such as wild or brown rices, millet, oats, buckwheat groats, and spelt. Those grains add protein, b vitamins, and other important nutrients to the diet and they are filling without having to eat a ton.

However, like you I have been more tired since school started this semester. School takes a lot out of you, and then add work, family obligations, and everything else and if you exercise everyday there is that too, and it is indeed tiring. Make sure you are eating enough, as others said, and getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep is my biggest deal right now because I worry too much with school. I am also having thyroid issues which might explain my fatigue and stress just makes it worse. Not to mention some ongoing depression. Ugh. Just know that diet is not always the culprit. You have to look at your whole lifestyle and see where the imbalances are. Or maybe there is something medical going on? I get the brain fog, fatigue, aches all over, headaches, etc when my thyroid is hypo and/or when my hormones are off. I am seven years post surgically menopausal and have to take hormone replacement to function because I am still young but added stress (ie school and dealing with a sick husband) and not eating enough (or too much) or intense exercise all have an effect on how well my hormones work.
    It could also be your body is still adjusting to a new way of eating. It takes a good bit of time for the body to adapt to a new style of eating, not a mere few weeks or even months. I am glad to see you are trying and not giving up so easily. I understand the frustration of not having the energy you need to juggle everything.