Thread: amazed at how dumb some people are

Default amazed at how dumb some people are

We just bought our house a few months ago and I kind of befriended a neighbor a few doors down, our children are the same age. While we were getting our kids from the bus stop she offered me some of her sub. I explained to her I don't eat meat and that I am vegan. She looked at me like I had two heads. The following day she asked me why and I told her some of the reasons, one being the way animals are treated. Her reaction was "my husband thinks that is very weird that u r like that and it's not like the animals know any different. Especially chickens they are not exactly smart." I was so disappointed and hurt. Not sure why, bc it's not like what she thinks actually matters, but nonetheless I was upset. The following day on my facebook I posted a quote that had a photo of cows in the slaughterhouse and it basically said u should know where ur food comes from. My step cousin actually commented "mmm steak". Things like this happen all the time and I am just amazed at all the ignorance that surrounds me. It really makes me realize just how differant being vegan makes me....just how different I look at everything in life. I am so thankful I found this forum, so I am able to connect with others....my vegan family. People who are able to understand.
    Tanya

Default Re: amazed at how dumb some people are

I can relate, as I'm sure everyone else on the forum can. Some people are genuinely curious, and even make excuses when they say they eat meat/dairy etc, whilst others are really rude and/or are insensitive to the fact that we are all different and some of us have made the choice to be vegan, and don't respect us for this.
    It gets me down sometimes, makes me mad sometimes, I guess it depends on what mood I'm in.
    Personally I think if people react to you being vegan in the way you've described then it means they have their own issues relating to insecurity, superiority etc. I know it's hard but try to not let it get to you, as it'll only make them think they've got a rise out of you, not that I can do this very often!!!
    I too am so grateful for being able to come on this forum. Although my b/f is vegan, it helps me to know there are others beside him who understand me.

Quote yo-yo View Post
    I can relate, as I'm sure everyone else on the forum can. Some people are genuinely curious, and even make excuses when they say they eat meat/dairy etc, ..
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Her reaction was "my husband thinks that is very weird that u r like that and it's not like the animals know any different. Especially chickens they are not exactly smart."
    I love stuff like that!

The logic in play is that IQ/intelligence/perceived awareness are a moral basis for what we can eat and what we can not.

Opens up a host of 'wind-ups' along the lines of which people should be able to eat which other people; Should people too 'dumb' to have homes (the homeless) be a viable food source for people who own houses? Is burying the dead (no awareness) a waste of an important protein resource? If a person reaches a certain IQ level should it be legal for them to cannibalise other people below a certain IQ level? How 'aware' are babies and if God didn't mean us to eat them why did he make them taste of pork?

I know not all vegans agree but if people want a "who's moral logical is actualy the weirdest" competition with vegans I think they should get one. Every single time!

I was thinking along the same lines. I know quite a few ignorant people, does that mean it is ok to abuse them? Or even eat them?And the thought of babies tasting like pork is completely nauseateing lol, how did u come across that little fact? Ick lol. I really do not think me trying to explain anything to her will make a difference....making dumb comments like that proves where her IQ is.

I'm newly vegan & so far have been told not to be stupid, continually offered a mars bar & today when I said that I would take some vegan cupcakes to work for my birthday, I was told by a supposed animal lover that they don't want vegan food.
    Emma

I am sorry Emma

I guess I'll just have to get used to it. There are a lot of small minded people out there. My mother being one of them.
    Emma

Quote EmmaC View Post
    I was told by a supposed animal lover that they don't want vegan food.
    You should start taking away food from them, telling them that they said they didn't want it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I've had people not eat my food because they know it's vegan. It's very frustrating and unfortunately no matter how long you've been vegan it's very annoying especially when you've made a big effort. I now just have friends who are open minded and although not all are vegan none would refuse to eat something just because it was vegan. I just have no respect for people like that.

If I'm taking cakes somewhere I don't tell people they are vegan, unless there is a vegan there who needs to know.

I still sometimes get offered meat and asked wouldn't you like to try this it's really tasty. I haven't eaten meat for 36 years and people still think they can tempt me to eat some!

Omg mymblesdaughter it is so funny they try to tempt u to eat meat, especially after being vegan for so long. I find it wonderful u have been vegan for 36 yrs!!!! If I make a cake, cookies or anything really I don't let people know it's vegan either. It is not like it is bad for them, or has something it in that goes against their beliefs.

Only one thing here - I once had a "close call" when I prepared coffee for friends, and asked them whether they are ok with soymilk (Often I do not ask and make a soymilk cappuccino and they never know - if they know, they will complain and say how strange it tastes ;-).

Turned out one of them was supposedly allergic to soy - so possibly good I had asked.
    If she really is allergic, I certainly do not want to poison her.

Best regards,
    Andy

wow that is a really good point Andy! I never thought of that
    Tanya

Peoples greed overcomes their reluctance towards vegan food. When I took vegan waffles and a vegan version of popular cookies to work I could see some of them walk away with three waffles and a handful of cookies. Some people that know I'm vegan mentioned they aren't quite the same without eggs but they still raided the boxes and left nothing.

I think most bias is towards things that look different to what they are used to (i.e. lentils to someone that never ate them) or that looks the same as things they know but are made differently (i.e. meat subs like frankfurter sausages etc). But if it looks the same and isn't a typical animal product people are dumb enough to just eat it without questioning its veganess. Morons.

People that are allergic to something should state so. If she just assumes people use cows milk and not other types of milk she's up for a Darwin award.

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines. I know quite a few ignorant people, does that mean it is ok to abuse them? Or even eat them?
    Rather unpleasantly the answer to at least the first question, in societies that take omni-logic closer to it's logical conclusions, the answer is yes.

Within my grandfathers memory day trips to the Asylum, to laugh at mock and taunt the inmates, were perfectly acceptable family entertainment. (There is a supposedly factual scene in the film 'The Elephant Man' depicting this kind of thing, btw.)

Within closer memory, and better documented, it was not considered unethical to use the mentaly ill for bizarre medical experiments like lobotomising and ECT.

And the thought of babies tasting like pork is completely nauseateing lol, how did u come across that little fact? Ick lol.
    Comes from the rumours that cannibals call human flesh 'long pig' Bella. Allegedly humans do taste like pork.

Who knows though .. mebbe babies taste like more like veal or chicken?

I really do not think me trying to explain anything to her will make a difference....making dumb comments like that proves where her IQ is.
    Then, if explaining stuff makes no difference, the answer (to kicking sluggish minds into gear) must be more along the lines of asking questions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    I've had people not eat my food because they know it's vegan.
    Which minds me of one of my lifes greatest ever dissapointments.

Was scheduled to have a xmas dinner with my g/f's son in law. Quite vocal, in the company of women and children, along the lines of "I ain't eating none of that vegan sh*t!"

Was quite looking forward to removing everything vegan from his dinner plate (brussels, peas, carrots, potatos, stuffing, cranberry sauce etc ..) the first moment he said it in my presence. "I'll be having that vegan sh*t you ain't eating none of matey-boy, thank you very much ..", kinda thing in mind.

Unfortunately on the actual day he was, inexplicably, very quiet

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Might have something to do with your Karate black belt. Obviously he does not know that you are a peaceful person ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote CoolCat View Post
    People that are allergic to something should state so. If she just assumes people use cows milk and not other types of milk she's up for a Darwin award.
    LOL you are so funny!

- - - Updated - - -

Then, if explaining stuff makes no difference, the answer (to kicking sluggish minds into gear) must be more along the lines of asking questions?
    I actually did ask questions today to her. Like when she yelled at her dog and told he was stupid and obviously completely brain dead, I asked ever so sweetly "would you eat him? Being dumb and all he probably wouldn't know the difference, right?" She looked at me just amazed and completely speechless.

- - - Updated - - -

Was quite looking forward to removing everything vegan from his dinner plate (brussels, peas, carrots, potatos, stuffing, cranberry sauce etc ..) the first moment he said it in my presence. "I'll be having that vegan sh*t you ain't eating none of matey-boy, thank you very much ..", kinda thing in mind.
    Oh what a funny story lol!!!!
    Tanya

You could give her Jonathan Safran Foer's book "Eating animals".
    Then, when she complains about you "trying to brainwash her with vegan propaganda", you might show her the page where he posts the recipe "dog, wedding style" and comments that he has not eaten it, but "sometimes, you see a recipe and you know it will taste nice".

Best regards,
    Andy

I want to read that book!
    Tanya

You should!

While the book is discussed controversially here and elsewhere because JSF himself says that he is not vegan but on his way there, and also suggests "humane meat" as something better than factory farms (if you absolutely can not go vegan), it is very well written and well suited to get omnis to really consider veganism.

For me, it holds a special place, as it was the book that made me vegan immediately after 20 years as a vegetarian.

Best regards,
    Andy

Once I was talking with this kind of person who wants to convince you of how bad is the vegetarian diet (in this moment I was vegetarian). When I told him that Carl Lewis and Martina Navratilova were vegan he looked at me very serious and determined told me: "but they drink animals' blood". Of course, it was the end of the conversation.