Thread: Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South - Bianca Phillips

Default Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South - Bianca Phillips

Anyone a fan of the Vegan Crunk blog? Bianca has now published her own book - Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South - I think its pretty good, I already have a list of recipes I want to try.
    A word of warning for non-US readers - some of the ingredients are only available in the US (such as Gimme Lean sausages) so some research into substitutions may be needed.

I have a copy of this, I've been flicking through it but haven't made anything yet. It did inspire me to buy some Cajun seasoning though! There are some ingredients that difficult to get hold of outside of the states, but I will let you know if I'm inspired and make any adaptations. It has made me want to make more dishes with cornmeal, it's something I rarely use beyond polenta. What have you made Firestorm?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South - Bianca Phillips

I have so far made Tofu Chicken which was really good and "ham" with red eye gravy which was less good (didn't like coffee in gravy), I will be using the book again soon but I can definitely recommend making cornmeal to make cornbread (I used a fellow Forumers recipe to make some a while ago and it was lovely)

Quote Firestorm View Post
    "ham" with red eye gravy which was less good (didn't like coffee in gravy), )
    I am a bit suspicious of a gravy that's mainly coffee, it's not really on my list to make but I'll keep an open mind!

I can definitely recommend making cornmeal to make cornbread (I used a fellow Forumers recipe to make some a while ago and it was lovely)
    Will give that a go, thanks for the recommendation!
    Houmous atá ann!

I am cooking from Cookin' Crunk this week, I will be making: Tofu chicken, Cream of mushroom soup, Creamy tofu chicken pasta bake, Country potato soup, Chicken seitan, Hoppin John, Cheesey tempeh bacon grits & Pulled tempeh & carrot sandwiches.

I have so far tried (while making) the Tofu chicken, Pasta bake, Cream of mushroom soup, Country potato soup & Chicken seitan. All of them were wonderful and I will post photo's soon.

Hi Firestorm! Where do you get your tempeh? Having trouble finding it locally.

Hi Blackpoolvegan!
    I used to get it from Matta's in Liverpool, but recently I have been getting it delivered fresh from Fresh Tempeh.

I have also heard that Tiny Tempeh is quite good but they have a minimum order of 5 pieces.

I am cooking from Cookin' Crunk this week, I will be making: Tofu chicken, Cream of mushroom soup, Creamy tofu chicken pasta bake, Country potato soup, Chicken seitan, Hoppin John, Cheesey tempeh bacon grits & Pulled tempeh & carrot sandwiches.

I have so far tried (while making) the Tofu chicken, Pasta bake, Cream of mushroom soup, Country potato soup & Chicken seitan. All of them were wonderful and I will post photo's soon.
    All sounds good! I have this book but haven't made anything from it yet. The pasta bake sounds really good .

The only thing that has put me off some of the recipes are the use of specific products that I can't get, like liquid smoke, Gimme Lean sausage and specific seasoning mixes. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a good book and I'm more than willing to work around that, but it is a bit discouraging.
    Houmous atá ann!

I know what you mean blueberries, I think most the recipes that I am making use pretty standard stuff except poultry seasoning (but there is a recipe for this at the front), seasoning salt (I always substitute either celery salt or chicken seasoning) and as you mention Gimme lean sausages (I'm using Redwood instead). Anything else I just google an alternative for.
    I tend to think of recipes as a guide rather than something that has to be followed exactly (unless its baking) so I just throw whatever seems to be the closest match in! With regards to liquid smoke I know its a pain to get hold of but it is sooooo worth it!

However if you are having trouble getting hold of unusual ingredients you might want to steer clear of Vegan Artisan Cheese, its a wonderful book but I have had to mail order 4 specific ingredients and grown my own cultures before starting to make any cheese!

Hi Blackpoolvegan!
    I used to get it from Matta's in Liverpool, but recently I have been getting it delivered fresh from Fresh Tempeh.

I have also heard that Tiny Tempeh is quite good but they have a minimum order of 5 pieces.
    Thanks very much for this. I've tried the Redwood's one (I think it was Redwood's), but it was a million pounds or something, so wanted to try elsewhere.

I see what Tiny Tempeh did there. It is a pun, or play on words, based on the name of a popular beat artist.

Whenever I see the rapper Tiny Tempah I always think of tempeh, this'll confuse me even further, haha
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Whenever I see the rapper Tiny Tempah I always think of tempeh, this'll confuse me even further, haha
    You know Seitanism is not a vegan religion though, right?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post

You know Seitanism is not a vegan religion though, right?
    That's religious persecution, that is!
    Houmous atá ann!

I have eaten from this book all week and its been wonderful. (I will post a few more pics later - can only do 7 at a time and can't post more than once in a certain time period)

Cream of mushroom soup:

Country Potato Soup:

Chicken Style Seitan:

Tofu Chicken & Seitan Chicken:

Hoppin John with sausage & brown rice:

Creamy Tofu Chicken Pasta Bake:

BBQ "Pulled" Tempeh & Carrot Sandwich:

Cheesy Bacon Grits:

All looks really good, Firestorm! I may have to make some goodies from mine! For the grits, did you use polenta or did you get actual grits?
    Houmous atá ann!

I used Polenta, I think I can get grits in Selfridges but I'm not spending that much money!

I used Polenta, I think I can get grits in Selfridges but I'm not spending that much money!
    How much are they, out of curiousity?
    Houmous atá ann!

I think they were about £6 for something from Quaker like this: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/h...its-plain.aspx