View Poll Results: Is the food you eat on a vegan diet as tasty as the food you ate before?

Voters
708. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, vegan food is better than the food I ate before

462 65.25%
  • NO, the vegan food I eat is not as tasty as the food I ate before

39 5.51%
  • Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference

97 13.70%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is slightly better

62 8.76%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is a little less tasty

48 6.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Quote Gorilla
    it's hard for me to say whether vegan food is tastier than non-vegan food, as i haven't eaten meat for over 12 years, barely remember what it tastes like, and i think my tastebuds have changed since going vegan so that things i used to like eating e.g. cheese would probably taste disgusting to me now.

there are some vegan foods i don't enjoy, such as vegan cheese, seitan, tempeh, mostly 'substitutes' really. it took me a while to get used to soya milk, i used to hate it but i never really liked cows' milk much so i wouldn't say that was tastier either but i really enjoy the food i eat now, i eat a lot less processed food and it tastes so much fresher and healthier.
    Gorilla, i agree, subsitute foods aren't all that. Vegan food is different to omni food. To try and recreate the tastes of the original food often fails. I am quite sceptical about trying to convert people to veganism through these alternatives too, people just say, 'it doesn't taste the same', which it doesn't or 'it's not as good' wheras there are lots of vegan foods to rival more 'traditional' foods. For instance if someone likes the taste of a beef steak, it's best to try serving them a good hearty mushroom and chestnut pie than some fake food fillet!! Vegan cheese and such like are also processed foods with horrible things like hydrogebnated vegetable oil in, etc. Yuck. Having said all that, i would be lost without soya milk for my breakfast cereal...but that has nutritive properties of it's own, its not trying to be something else!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Raskolnikov

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Hmm, it's hard to make a comparision. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is neither better nor worse in terms of taste... merely different!

Quote kimmyk
    you know that after a while of drastically changing your deit in this way your tastebuds change and things you might not have liked before you might love now, in my opinion you develop a "hightened sense of tase"
    Kimmyk i have to agree with you there before i changed my diet i didnt like certain vegetables now i love them all except for raw onion i dont think i could ever eat them raw!

I think it tastes a lot better. And it's more satisfying to eat because you know that it's all animal free. It's a good feeling.

The only thing I don't like is soy milk- I usually buy 'powder', it's cheaper.
    It has weird taste, even the vanilla flavoured one.

Quote Korn
    Sometimes people ask if it's possible to make as good food without animal products as it is with. For people who are used to put butter, milk, cream, cheese etc. in their meals it's a very natural question to ask, because they simply don't know without having tried other ways of getting the results they want. What do you think?
    I reckon that vegan junk food is as good as non-vegan. Last week I had a killer jaffa baci cake, and tonight I have been chowing down vegan vanilla ice cream topped with crumbled up vegan choc chip cookie. It is still all rich and sweet and fatty and good

prilly-pie

i dont regard meat and dairy as food so vegan food is soo much tastier! heehee-also i find natural flavours of a piece of fruit, or plain chickpeas etc soo delicious and appreciatable when i look back and think of all the retardish e numbers, flavours etc in my old food.
    hoorah for the vegan cuisine!

Much tastier in a sense that it comes without the "dull" smell and taste in meaty dishes

As a child I didnīt enjoy dairy or meat much, and luckily my parents never forced me to drink milk etc...
    Also the change to a vegan diet was very easy for me. I donīt miss any animal products.

So I find a vegan diet to be very tasty, I love vegan food .

I have never tasted meat in my life. And I am glad for that. I was a born a vegetarian as I belong to the community of hindu priests. So we need to learn specific rituals and we are not allowed to touch meat, eggs. I used to drink milk before. However I have been a vegan for a long time now, and I feel truly amazing. It is better than vegetarian food and a healthier lifestyle.

veganism rocks.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

vegandolly

An emphatic no,it is NOT as tasty!

It is infinitely tastier

I can't say that I really can compare Vegan to Non-Vegan food, for me it is completly different. I used to eat a lot of processed food, refined sugars and carbs, loads of dairy and a bit of meat. Now I am eating completely different food - for sure I feel better. Taste wise I find the food I eat now so much more full of flavour and I have found I enjoy new tastes more when I am not trying to replace what I used to eat with something of a similar taste - it rarley tastes the same to me. A couple of exceptions and happy discoveries - toffutti's better than cream cheese (it is - even the kids think so and they are not so easily pleased), and Silk coffee cream (cream in my coffee was the only really difficult thing for me to part with). Any way I think that its a useful poll and I think that it is helpful for everyone to know - Vegan or not - that Vegan food is not all "fake meat", beans and greens, that there is such a variety and that we don't all like the same food, we don't eat food that we think tastes gross simply because it's good for us and we don't always eat healthy food (but still we are generally a healthy bunch).

On the Coast

Truthfully, I've been Vegan and veg for soooooo long, that I could'nt actually say. Though I ca'nt imagine how anything could be better than some of the Vegan yums I partake in. I just do'nt think there is any comparison. To me it's like Vegan food is a serious cuddle sesh with your lovey, and omni food is a nice long letter or phone call from them. The latter may sustain you for awhile, even stoke you out, but the former will send you to new heights.

Interesting Question.....

It all depends on what items I'm comparing. As for something like cream cheese or milk the vegan versions will always win.. I'm still very new to vegan eating therefore I can't say I've tried a great deal of things..

One thing I will say is I've increased my use of spices and various veggies and fruits, which have made my meals tastier as well as healthier..

I would have never thought I would be eating qiunoa(sp) stuffed peppers...but they are yummy!

Meikmeik

I think my food I eat now is a lot tastier than the food I ate before coming vegan, and that I have a much greater appreciation of food now that I have to cook it myself, a lot of time thime from scratch.

To say however that vegan food is better than non vegan food taste wise is stupid, as all vegan food is suitable for non vegans, who also get to experience other ingrediants. Vegan food does however more than suffice, and I think anyone who says that a vegan diet is very restricted in terms of achieveable flavour and texture is an idiot and knows a lot less about food than they like to admit
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    I think anyone who says that a vegan diet is very restricted in terms of achieveable flavour and texture is an idiot and knows a lot less about food than they like to admit
    Yep! I agree

I agree to Flibble, but thats only because i have taken so much time to learn about new vegan recipes. When i first became vegan i was a terrible cook and got so sick of eating the same crap all the time. So i had to learn how to cook and make my food interesting or i was going to die of bordom

Go FLIBBLE

Hi....ive been vegan for a year now, and before that, I always thought vegans just ate, fruit, veg and nuts. HOWEVER I am a connasieur (spelling?) now because I can eat mostly everything that non vegans eat; just the vegan version. Bakewell tart, "cheese" cake, choccy mousse, and the fab veggie master range of "chicken" legs, "fish" steaks etc. Oh yes! Moussaka, curry, "chicken" provencale.....yum yum!!!The only thing I cant eat, is eggs as in boiled eggs etc, but I dont really fancy eating a chickens period so it doesnt bother me!

I don't know about all vegan food vs. my prior omni diet, but I gave up sugared soda a few months ago and yesterday I tried a can of Mountain Dew that we had around the house. I gagged and ended up dumping most of the can out. Mountain Dew was my favorite soda. I think that, like some others said, good taste is largely in what you're used to.
    "There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in hell." (Pratchett)

I've always been into cooking, so I was able to make pretty tasty stuff containing animal ingredients before I went vegan. What I found most exciting about going vegan, was that I had to learn to cook almost all over again! All these new ingredients and combinations, wow!! It has to be said tho, that seeing fake meat, like rashers, on my first visit as a vegan to England, made me well excited! A friend and I spent a disgusting amount of money, buying "meat" and "cream cheese" in London's health food shops (at the time I thought that heaven was called "Holland&Barrett"! ). And I still like the occasional "bacon" butty with red sauce (ketchup).
    I'm not sure if I eat a lot healthier, as I'd like to think I had a relatively healthy diet as an omni, having been brought up with homecooked food (rather than ready meals) and veg with the flesh.
    I do absolutely love my food tho, and really enjoy cooking
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

princessemma

I am a veggie and I haven't eaten meat since I was 13 so I don't remember the taste (thank heavens) during the past week I have eaten vegan; chocolate, milk, cheese, cream cheese...... some is just as good, some not as good, some better (the cream cheese for one yum !!!!) I had some surprises I tried soy milk in the past and didn't like it but this time it was okay. But the best thing is the feeling. I was feeling slightly nauseaus after drinking cows milk and eggs were making me feel sick. So taking that into account vegan food is definately better!!! And my little girl was given soya milk for the first time and she didn't even notice it was different!!!

For the most part I find vegan food tastier. I don't miss meat at all!! I would much rather use lentils etc in dishes instead. Tofu is a bit gross though I don't know how to cook it properly. The only thing I really miss is milk chocolate as the vegan versions are NOT the same unfortunatly and I can not stand dark chocolate.

The vegan "meats" though I don't like or the "cheeses" bleh. But I feel better knowing me meals are cruelty free.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i really love vegan food... i honestly don't think i can think of a time when i ate any better or enjoyed any more immensely than i do right now!
    Peace Love Surf.

I've become more adventurous and better at cooking. So for food I make it is better than it used to be.

Definitely, seeing as I only used to eat ready meals which are usually rank, our food tastes fantastic now. Although to be fair everything tastes wonderful now I've given up smoking
    Silent but deadly :p

mango woman

My waist can be the judge of that!

Quote Rob(QG)
    I've become more adventurous and better at cooking. So for food I make it is better than it used to be.
    AMEN
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Hemlock
    Definitely, seeing as I only used to eat ready meals which are usually rank, our food tastes fantastic now. Although to be fair everything tastes wonderful now I've given up smoking
    Good for you!

I was lucky, I smoked for a year and then I stopped. I'm glad I did.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ya, i'm glad that i've always been pretty natural, and never picked up smoking, even though when i was little i thought it was the coolest that and drinking . and i took to drinking for a little while , althought only casually now these days i'm far too natural and see my body as my temple...although i like wine for cooking...
    Peace Love Surf.

Vegan food is definitely better.

I didn't vote because I haven't been vegan for very long, and while i find myself sometimes wanting "omni" food, I think it may be "withdraw" or habit, or tradition, or whatever. Give me a year being vegan and I'll vote then, ok?
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Quote qwaychou
    I didn't vote because I haven't been vegan for very long, and while i find myself sometimes wanting "omni" food, I think it may be "withdraw" or habit, or tradition, or whatever. Give me a year being vegan and I'll vote then, ok?
    I really understand what you are saying im the same ive only been vegan for about six months, this xmas day i just stayed away from all the xmas celebrations so i wouldnt have to put up with all the comments lol i know that sounds childish but the people i would of spent xmas with would of made it unbearable lol its not that i miss the food its all the sarcastic comments thats come with it..... anyhow its the day after and im still vegan thats all that matters..lol... and no one died for me to live..

sugarmouse

i was at the xmas table when my gran announced i had 'done very well with it'
    that my vegetarianism (obviously now veganism)wasnt a silly teenage fad and i had done so wel to stick to it

WTF i have done well to be commpassionate and peaceful...i dont get ppl

Quote deadinside
    Vegan food is definitely better.
    For that reason we are here. Also because the vegan food have better flavor and each one does not have responsibility in the abuses of the production of food animal's origin.

Best regards.
    "When a human kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice."
    Isaac Bashevis Singer

I love love love! vegan food! I have always been a huge vegetable and fruit eater to the point that I will open a can of green beans and eat that for a meal. I feel 100% better being a vegan. I totally thought I would be craving chocolate or all the goodies my mother is always buying that contains milk or eggs. But not at all! Its amazing! I don't even miss junk food! If I need anything sweet I buy trail mix dry fruit. It taste just like candy to me.

princessemma

I think a lot of the reason our food is tastier as vegans is because, I relied so heavily on dairy as a vegetarian and even when loosing weight I ate low-fat dairy instead. Our diet got bland and boring, although it was probably a lot more exciting than the traditional meat with two veg or burger and chips. Now we have to make an effort and vary our meals but already we've got firm favourites.

A lot of the soya alternatives to dairy such as soy cheese and egg free mayonnaise are as high in fat as their full-fat dairy counterparts. I am so careful with my weight so I restrict my use of these products and use tofu, beans, chickpeas, fruit and veg, wholegrains etc.

Before going vegan I had no idea how to cook chickpeas or lentils. Now I do I am eating a diet that is naturally low-fat so I am not having to count calories as much. I do feed my daughter soy cheese and toffuti cream cheese though as well as nut butters because of course she needs the calories. My husband eats them because he's 6 foot 2, rake thin and eats like food is going out of fashion! I put the weight on just by watching him eat! So tofu is a godsend, it's low in fat and can be used for anything I don't know how I managed so long without it.

ph63228

i beleive that both taste the same but am not willing to break my veganism to prove it, the difference that can be seen without tasting is that when you eat vegan food you know that it is doing no harm to you and it is doing no harm to you and so you feel better and it tastes better.
    My theory at leist!!

Good taste or good feeling is no worth insane acts. Slightly better i would say, because i am feeling more present.

I like that I need to eat more midfully. It makes me appreciate my food, its complexities, and its nourishing qualities.
    Peace Love Surf.

I enjoy my food a lot more now, I have however, developed a weird addiction to apples... :S

ph63228

hehe, i have a unnaturally large craving for halva! i have been vegan all my life but even so i have just discovered it and it is awesome!!!

Doesnt halva have honey in it? Or are there versions without??? I'd like to know if there are!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    Doesnt halva have honey in it? Or are there versions without??? I'd like to know if there are!!
    Yeh, not all halva has honey. Luckily

I LOVE vegan food, but I think that's partly because I'm getting a lot more organic food and because I'm cooking a lot of things from scratch that I didn't before. Homemade food (assuming you know how to cook, which I do) is always better than that processed stuff.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote catmogg
    You can make your own...it's the easiest candy to make!

Sorry to be so thick but what is halva?

Quote puffin
    Sorry to be so thick but what is halva?
    Hiya Puffin It's made from sugar and sesame, so it's like a block of solid sweet tahini that melts in your mouth. And it sort of fizzles like sherbet. Lovely.

Get yourself to Al Amin on Mill Rd in Cambridge - they have several different sorts

ph63228

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    You can make your own...it's the easiest candy to make!
    how do you make it?? post the instructions pleeeeeeeeesee

Hi ph63228. Try this http://www.organicfood.co.uk/inspiration/raw_halva.html
    Thank you to kiran for the link and thank you cherry i havent been to cambridge for a while but will defo go there when i go next