View Poll Results: Is the food you eat on a vegan diet as tasty as the food you ate before?

Voters
708. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, vegan food is better than the food I ate before

462 65.25%
  • NO, the vegan food I eat is not as tasty as the food I ate before

39 5.51%
  • Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference

97 13.70%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is slightly better

62 8.76%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is a little less tasty

48 6.78%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

The food I eat now is tastier than the food I ate before definitely. Going vegan completely changed my attitude to food. It meant I had to take much more responsibility preparing and cooking my meals. Now cooking is one of my top hobbies. I love making tasty food and impressing people who assume that vegan grub is just lettuce and celery.

sugarmouse

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Quote coconut
    The food I eat now is tastier than the food I ate before definitely. Going vegan completely changed my attitude to food. It meant I had to take much more responsibility preparing and cooking my meals. Now cooking is one of my top hobbies. I love making tasty food and impressing people who assume that vegan grub is just lettuce and celery.

ita i am a lot better at cooking and experimentatin with food now!

ConsciousCuisine

That's a nice recipe but it won't taste anything like traditional halva because of the raisins. I make a similar raw one using dates, agave, sesame seeds and a special ingredient that is really rich and delicious!

Here's one of my halva recipes:

Simple Halvah

2 cups tahini (raw or toasted or a mixture of both)
    6 T. agave, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (I like agave best and it will be more like traditional halva this way)
    1 T. lemon juice
    oil to "grease" the pan and your hands (I like coconut best but sesame or almond works as well)
    Optional: whole sesame seeds for "balls" or top of halva

You will want to use a food processor as this is very sticky! Combine all and process. Spread into an oiled or lined dish until this is approximately 1 inch thick and cut into squares when chilled and firm (press seeds onto top if desired). Alternately, roll into balls with oiled hands and cover with additional whole sesame seeds and refrigerate.

ph63228

this is torment!! its 12.00 and i dont get home till 6.00pm!! no halva till then

but when i get home!!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    That's a nice recipe but it won't taste anything like traditional halva because of the raisins. I make a similar raw one using dates, agave, sesame seeds and a special ingredient that is really rich and delicious!

Here's one of my halva recipes:

Simple Halvah

2 cups tahini (raw or toasted or a mixture of both)
    6 T. agave, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (I like agave best and it will be more like traditional halva this way)
    1 T. lemon juice
    oil to "grease" the pan and your hands (I like coconut best but sesame or almond works as well)
    Optional: whole sesame seeds for "balls" or top of halva

You will want to use a food processor as this is very sticky! Combine all and process. Spread into an oiled or lined dish until this is approximately 1 inch thick and cut into squares when chilled and firm (press seeds onto top if desired). Alternately, roll into balls with oiled hands and cover with additional whole sesame seeds and refrigerate.
    Well i have never tasted halva so it wont make a difference to me I dont have a food processor so i will skip making any for now. I guess the raisin one will be good for all you raisin lovers who want to try something new.

Yeah, definitely way way better. Now I really enjoy and appreciate what I eat. I never used to bother cooking much, I'd get pizza or fast food but now I have so much more variety in my diet and its so much healthier. I also stuff like those Fry's chunky strips and tofu are so satisfying, I actually think about them and crave them. I eat quality chocolate now too and couldn't imagine enjoying an over sugared bar of dairy milk. Everything just tastes so much better, it really does.

I've never looked back from switching to a vegan diet. I love the food, I love eating healthy too. All vegan products are pleasant to cook with and fun to choose from (There is such a huge range of protein sorces compared to just the small meat group). You can really make anything vegan. I don't find it hard to have a vegan diet at all and meat absolutley stinks when it is being cooked in this house. It's amazing how something is so grotesque when you stop eating it.

ai4i

I voted <Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference> but I have to qualify this. today I am repulsed by nonvegan foods, but I enjoyed them every bit as much, back then.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote puffin
    Well i have never tasted halva so it wont make a difference to me I dont have a food processor so i will skip making any for now.
    You can make smaller amounts by hand (using a fork to mash and mix well) with a bit of effort and it's worth the work!

Veganism is much tastier than an omi diet . . .

Going vegan has made my pallet more sensitive to subtle flavors; I find that delicate foods have more taste.

Before I became vegan, I had a lot of problems with indigestion -- I couldn't go near olives, peppers, nor onions . . . and spicey-hot foods, forgetaboutit! Since I stopped eating dairy, my stomach is soooo much happier! I can enjoy eating foods I like and not feel sick.
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

extra fat added ice cream is purdy dern tasty so i had to pick the last option

meat has kinda lost it's appeal because knowing the impact eating it has in the world makes it less tasty.

cheese is a bit of a bummer too - nothing quite compares in the vegan universe
    Viva Vegan!

ai4i

Quote Romac
    extra fat...ice cream...meat...cheese...
    Neither you nor I have reached the point where all non-vegan food repulses us.
    I will backslide with some foods (mostly lower life forms and their byproducts) but not on others (warm blooded air breathers and their byproducts).
    I suggest alcohol. The right one will taste good and make you feel good.

When I voted on here ages ago I think I voted "no difference". Now I can honesty say the food I eat now is by far the best. I certainly don't miss animal products in the slightest. Stick with veganism and eventually you will view animal products as unfit for human consumption.

Talking Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

I think it is way tastier! And I dont even eat meat substitutes! I eat alot of wholegrains, herbs, vegetables and beans and the flavours you can create for vegan recipes far outweigh a bland tasting burger (from what i remember anyways that was like 5 years ago) what makes a burger interesting? The salad and the sauce!

I've never liked cheese and milk really, the hardest thing I've found is trying to make things without eggs to bind, and its impossible to find egg substitutes out here but I don't mind really, soy/rice milk does the job and its completely guilt-free

Carry On

I definetly find vegan food better and more exotic. I have tried so many new things from so many different and beautiful cultures then way back when I ate meat from a grease joint. Not only that, but being vegan forces one to be more creative in their food choices and cooking among other things such as awareness of your health. Veganism rocks!

vegan food is definitely tastier!! I gained weight when I went vegan, bc I was trying out so much yummy vegan cuisine that I had never been exposed to before. I remember thinking to myself when I first went vegan that the food seemed "cleaner" - before I was vegan I was always a little grossed out by meat and had to pretend that it wasnt actually animal muscle when i ate it, but then when I met veganism that problem didnt exist anymore... I can accept my whole meal into my mouth with love.

If I hadn't gone vegan, I probably never would have thought to try:

almond butter
    Indian food
    falafel
    lots of organic foods

...and many other things I currently eat a lot of and are healthy and yummy.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

ai4i

I love Greenwise brand soy milk products.

i think the food i at now is healther.. i wouldn't say tastier... i don't miss the meat but i do miss the dairy.. why can't they make good vegan cheese already?

PygmyGoat

Much tastier!!. I have tried all sorts of things that I would never have had the joy of eating before !.

Not only much tastier but more varied. When I think of what I used to eat by comparison, it was quite a limited diet. Meat, veg, potatoes or curry out of a jar, pasta out of a jar. Now much more effort goes into making variations in my diet. Preparing a meal is now a challenge rather than a routine bore.

I voted that I think it's about the same but slightly less tasty... I think this may be because I have only been vegan for a month, so perhaps my tastebuds havent changed yet. I really only miss real cheese on pizza. That's about it.
    I feel like it tastes way healthier though.

I really miss cheese (like on pizza)...specially because I can't find any vegan friendly cheese =/

I've seen "soy cheese" products but they all have a milk protein in them...

pavotrouge

Much better, but I have to say that I went vegan half a year after I moved out from my parents' and my mother is the worst cook ever...I have found I actually LOVE a lot of food (veggies in particular) that I couldn't stand back then.

Usually I don't miss anything except for when I'm in a hurry and don't have that much time for cooking- at times like that, my mind often plays some tricks on me ("Wouldn't it be easy just to walk up to the diner round the corner?").
    I've never really liked the taste of meat, eggs and cheese before...what I really loved was fish - and for that, I surprisingly don't have any cravings!

Vegan food is better.

i never ate dairy stuff like cheese, milk and yoghurt, &#180;cause of allergies.. meat wasn't really that good, and eggs where just disgusting. so i turned vegetarian - and lived off rice and baked beans for a year, until I realised that vegetarian food doesn't had to be boring. so got me a vegetarian cookbook, and learned how to cook. then i turned vegan, and now i'm gonna be a chef

so YES - vegan food is a LOT tastier, healthier and worth it all.

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate befo

I never really liked stuff such as milk, ice cream, eggs, and fish, so eating food that doesn't contain those is great. I made vegan "buttermilk" biscuits the other day, and they tasted so much better than ones made with milk and butter. I was actually a bit surprised.

Good sperm

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate befo

Yes yes yes yes yes, and yes.
    Vegan food kicks ass.

i chose much better, but to be honest i from going vegan in february of last year becuase i had to cook for me and an omni i was cooking a lot of meat substitutes, which have a generic salty taste (apart from mock duck...) and i have just being putting on weight. so my new years resolution is to loose weight and keep off the processed foods, so now i think i'm eating true vegan food, where all the fresh flavours come through i think many omnis and vegetarians may feel it's bland without the artifical flavours, but after a couple of days, i no longer need the salad dressing on my salad and have yellow pepper dressing instead. and now my partner has gone veg for new years resolution i'm not feeling so guilty preparing more natural, unprocessed foods
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

MmmVeggies

In 100% complete honesty, I prefer it! I love all the ethnic foods I have discovered!

I voted almost no difference, but vegan food is slightly better. I do this because A)I never liked meat so I don't miss it and B)Food tastes more or less the same to me now. Kind of anyways. I can eat plain salad now and some veggies (like spinach) that I couldn't stand before I can eat plain with a smile on my face.
    But also, I never liked milk, was okay with but didn't love cheese, rarely used honey, etc.
    I think the main thing for me is that the bread tastes better. Odd, no? But when I bake my own bread it tastes amazing whereas store-bought omni bread always tasted kinda...dull?

SpaceMonkey

Definately tastier than what I was eating before. Before going vegan my diet consisted entirely of, (and no, I'm not exaggerating), soda, french fries, chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza, candy, chips, cookies, and fast food nearly every day. I NEVER ate any fruit, mostly because my body had become allergic to it. Every time I ate an apple or a banana, my throat would swell and I couldn't breathe. Looking back on it now, this allergic reaction was probably caused by all the hormones and steroids in my food. Since going vegan, I've had no allergic reactions to food and I have a more interesting and varied diet than before.

I think that the food is way better to palate than food that is over processed, over cooked, and covered in seasoning an such so much so that you can't even tell what you are eating. I have never been a seasoning or covering person because if I am going to mask the flavor of what I am eating, then what is the point of eating it? I enjoy the flavor of fresh organic produce. Most Vegan foods don't mask the flavor, but use seasoning to enhance the flavors.

I love vegan food!You get to explore so many different kinds of food.And there are so many more veggies . beans , and grains than types of meat.So much more variety.

Before I transitioned to veganism, I was such a picky eater---not anymore. Real food (vegan food) tastes the best. The smell of animal-derived foods makes me nauseous

Hey guys! I believe vegan food is SOOOOO much tastier!! mmmm soy food and scrambled tofu! how can you beat that?? mmmm....damn! I'm getting hungry
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

piper

I certainly feel better eating it and that allows me to actually enjoy the food I'm eating instead of feeling somber about it. I have an unholy love for gorbanzo beans I might add...

So far (two weeks) I've found that there's a little less impactful flavour - but that's probably just because none of my food has a ton of salt and a million preservatives packed into it before it's even cooked.
    Once I get into cooking with more spices and herbs, I bet my food will have more flavour.
    I love it though - if I could get all my nutrients just from fruits and vegetables, I would eat only those. I love their natural flavours.

Hmm, I've always eat well and never deprived myself.

I figure, food has always tasted good to me. The only difference is knowledge. I know that what once tasted good to me (animal products) could no longer taste good to me now.

When I was eating it, animal foods did taste as good as the non animal foods I eat now. The difference is that now I could not fathom enjoying the taste of murder... so the food i eat now is better than any non-vegan food I could imagine.

Due to the difference in knowledge with time, I voted that both were equally as tasty when I ate them. I miss very few things, and I've gained a lot of new things to feast on.
    context is everything

EcoTribalVegan

I put a little better. I think I've developed a psychological aversion to eating meat. The smell of meat (certain types in particular) make me feel a bit nauseous.

I voted the same.

I have always been a good cook and so produce some great meals, both vegan and omni. I have worked very hard to translate some of the omni meals into vegan meals without sacrificing the unique taste. I have suceeded in most recipes, but I still want to experiement further with some. I do have amuch more varied diet than when I was omni though, and have really expanded my repertoire too.

unfortunately I love the taste and texture of meat and dairy, so I'm afraid i probably different to a lot of folks on here - my decision was purely a moral decision not to exploit animals etc.

nicola

Quote pudding06 View Post
    unfortunately I love the taste and texture of meat and dairy, so I'm afraid i probably different to a lot of folks on here - my decision was purely a moral decision not to exploit animals etc.

nicola
    I think we might be on the same page, actually.

I like the "flavor" and "texture" of meat, fish, etc, but I the idea of it coming from an animal appalls me so much that it's hard to divorce from the flavor i might smell.

However, when I've gone to really good vegan restaurants that serve fake meats, I've LOVE it. Especially fake fish, 'cause that's a flavor I like.
    context is everything

Hi Xrodolfox,

Do you know the ingredients of fake fish? I have to admit that I miss sea food myself and my Buddhist vow is not to support any type of killing in my thoughts or in my actions. Occasionally I review the horror in "Diet for a New America" and that takes away any desire I have for beef or poultry but I still miss a good piece of fish.

Best Wishes,

Robert
    May all Beings be Free of Suffering

EcoTribalVegan

Quote pudding06 View Post

I doubt it. Even Dr. Peter Singer states the only reason to eat meat is for taste; as we can get all our nutrients from plant based sources. I think you have the same reasoning as everyone here...except people who are vegan for health reasons.

You know, I had it in a restaurant in San Francisco. Taro Root I suppose? It was a Buddhist recipe, if you are interested in that.

I am quite sure that there is at least one restaurant in the NYC area that has that dish. I never really liked the taste of mammals or dairy, but I did like taste of fish and mullusks. My wife did get me some vegan "scallops" fr my birthday from www.pangea.com
    Maybe you can find something there.
    context is everything

My diet is more varied now, i eat loads of different vegetables in a week and always trying new things so YES definitely much much tastier!

RubyDuby

I hated mayo, but love veganaise.

before switching over I didn't have a taste for a lot of foods that I really like now: onions, olives, tofu, grapes.

the thought of eating an animal is like the thought of eating a person. The thought of eating egg or dairy... I don't know, it just seems dirty.

That kind of sounds like I've brainwashed myself, but it's really the opposite.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

pavotrouge

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I hated mayo, but love veganaise.
    strange, isn't it? I used to hate a lot of animal products from birth on but love the vegan varieties... veganaise, cream, whipped cream... even vegan cheese!

RubyDuby

yeah, its gross to think of spreading raw egg and oil on bread and eating it... ewww. who came up with that idea???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

My food doesn't taste like death, rape, murder and torture anymore so it's gotta taste better right?

As a vegan I eat alot of fresh fruit and veg now and spend alot of time preparing healthy nutritious meals. I love my food. You ask anyone what is top of my list and it is food. I like some meat substitutes too and am a sucker for swedish glace ice cream. I feel a whole lot better in myself. Stronger, fitter, faster.

As an omni I used to eat bacon, chicken, potatos and pizza. Sometimes I'd eat tinned spaghetti too. What a load of shit! It wasn't hard for me to be vegetarian. It really wasn't hard for me to be vegan either.

YUM TO VEGAN FOOD! Yuk to everything everyone else eats, which in my opinion isn't even food!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I think food comes down to perception in a large part. Appearance, presentation, the smells that come from cooking and subjective associations of food (Mum's 'home cooking', reminds you of someone/something you love etc.) all play a significant role in how much we enjoy our food.

I'd say vegan food is on a par with veggie/omni food, because we can retrain our taste buds to almost any pallette. I do enjoy my food more now, but I think that has a lot more today with the satisfaction of cooking most of it for myself, and enjoying knowing I'm living a cruelty free lifestyle, than the actual taste of the food.

I do however agree with emzy1985's point that animal products aren't 'food'.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.