View Poll Results: Is the food you eat on a vegan diet as tasty as the food you ate before?

Voters
708. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, vegan food is better than the food I ate before

462 65.25%
  • NO, the vegan food I eat is not as tasty as the food I ate before

39 5.51%
  • Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference

97 13.70%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is slightly better

62 8.76%
  • Almost no difference, but vegan food is a little less tasty

48 6.78%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

I do not get how anyone cannot love vegan food.
    It is all so sweet and delicious.
    My sister is Paleo. Her food is gross. There is no sugar or sweetness to it.

Default Re: "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Epicurus at about 300 BC said that he said that he tried the expensive delicacies of his day, and the peak of pleasure can be reached in eating barley bread. Context, simplicity, and naturalness are key. There are all kinds of non-vegan concoctions which people get off on, but the best, healthiest, most enjoyable foods are vegan - it doesn't get better than that.

My taste buds have completely changed since being vegan and I don't crave the same food as I used to. Before, I used to be able to eat a ton of ice cream, very high fat dairy. But recently I even found my oatmeal with soy milk too creamy and it was too sickly for me, so I changed to water. I think I have a bad association with dairy now, because of how sick it made me and how much better I look and feel. I just have to think of a calf missing out on it's nutrition and that's enough to put me off. Meat has always grossed me out so I don't miss it, haven't eaten it in 20 years.

There's an important distinction I think is important to this question of pleasure in food. Philosophers, Epicurus included (if memory serves), have distinguished between "higher" and "lower" pleasures. J.S. Mill said that the pleasure of reading poetry is higher than the pleasure of playing a game of push-pin. Higher pleasures are more beneficial, satisfying and longer-lasting.
    I think there are higher and lower types of eating pleasure. Junk foods for example tend to give a stronger dose of immediate sensory stimulation and are a lower pleasure, whereas healthier vegan foods tend to give more enjoyment of the higher type.