Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird food

Default Weird food

1. What are some unusual combinations of foods that you like to have together?
    2. What do you do different with food that people think is wierd?
    3. What do you think is wierd that no body else thinks is wierd?

I barely ever peel carrots coz I can't be bothered and I mash potatoes with their skin on still - people can't understand this at all.

I can't understand people who like peanut butter and jam sandwiches...ewwww

I also can't understand the whole guacamole thing on top of corn chips or nachos

My boyfriend likes salted peanuts mixed with sultanas....salty and sweet in one mouthful is wrong!

I never peel my carrots or skin my potatoes either unless they're not organic (which I don't buy anyway). The outside has loads of nutrients anyway. Plus, it tastes better whole.

I like peanut butter, banana and vegan orange chocolate spread sandwiches. Is that weird, or just stomach churning?

Quote *M*
    I like peanut butter, banana and vegan orange chocolate spread sandwiches. Is that weird, or just stomach churning?
    Just stomach churning . Now a peanut butter and banana sandwich is mighty fine, peanut butter and anything really.

I like *M*'s combination.

I also love peanut butter with sliced tomato and onion. Sliced pickles and soy bacon with that makes it pure heaven.

People think this combination is bizaar but I think it's devine.

1vegan

Peanut butter or Tahini on bread with sambal *licks*

What's sambal?

Peanut butter with bananas and flax (it's the only way I'll eat ground flax!)

Jam and non-dairy cream cheese

Ketchup and jam on toast

1vegan

Quote feline01
    What's sambal?
    http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow
    (the sandwich)

That's what I thought it was, now that I know for sure, I'm thinking that it would taste pretty good with peanut butter or tahini.

I alway eat the ends of carrots, and when I eat some types of berries I eat the whole twig too. I also eat the green ends of strawberries, and the outside of kiwis (the fruits!)
    I also always eat the outside of carrots, potatoes etc.

Am I a nut? (If so, I hope I'm organic!)
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

"3. What do you think is wierd that no body else thinks is wierd?"

One of the weirdest thing I've eaten was a recipe I got from here. Biscuits and gravy. The biscuits were really scone-like, and the gravy was, well gravy. The other thing is what my sister in law makes for pasta. She boils spagetti and puts tomato sauce on it. No, not red sauce, but just ketchup straight out of the bottle. Ewww! And she feeds it to her whole family.

I've put ketchup on pasta before coz i was being lazy and it sounded like a good idea at the time, but it was gross! I couldn't eat it.

I like eating marinated tofu just out of the packet! My bf likes it fed to him sensually! I've never seen anyone turned on by tofu before.

I never peel carrots, they taste better (organic).

I like yeast extract on crumpets which i thought was weird, though some people think syrup on crumpets is weird and i say thats normal!

Sometimes i just eat mushrooms on their own.

so I should apologize beforehand for this post because i have some very strange tastes!! lol

1: weird things i like...

-peanut butter sandwiches with veggie bacon and pickles
    -I put cold marinara sauce,or cold ketchup, or even cold cocktail sauce on almost everything except desserts....especially salads!
    -mix a LITTLE soy sauce or tamari with vanilla soy frozen dessert...it taste like butterscotch!!!
    -vegan pizza with bananas....vegan chz marinara and bananas are sooo yummy

2. weird things i do with food...
    -when i eat a mango I loove to eat the skin too
    -I like salt so much i put it on dessert sometimes
    -mostly every night for dessert i heat up milled flax seeds with water and mix in everything i can find!...like hip whip, nut butters, rice cakes, jams, soy ice cream, vegan hot chocolate mix, soy/almond milk, cereals, soy protein powder....

I like mixing everything because if its not mixed i can never deside what to eat first lol

when i eat cereal I haaaaaave to have the soy milk/almond milk like freeeezing cold...sometimes once its all in the bowl ill put it in the freezer for like 10 min...I know Im weird ...then i drink all the soy milk and leave the cereal for last.

3. whats "normal" but I think is weird...

veganaise or nayonaise....i HATE the taste of mayo...whyyyy do people put it on sandwiches and salads

veggie burgers that try to taste like meat...gross....i can stand that "meaty" taste!!!!! :P...like the vegan boca burger yuck

has anyone seen how some people eat grapefruits...they cut it in half and load it with sugar...then eat it out with a spoon...gross

mango salsa...yuck...
    anything with cilantro....yuck

I also love tofu out of the packet. Just a bit of seasalt and yuuuuuummmmmmmmm.

"-peanut butter sandwiches with veggie bacon and pickles" I've had this. It's very good stuff.

My guy thinks I'm very strange, but I love olive oil and a bit of lemon pepper on my hot multi-grain cereal. And I like it very dry. Like "crumbling off the spoon" dry.

I eat rolled oatmeal out of the package. It's the only way I can tolerate rolled oatmeal.

Quote Banana
    2. What do you do different with food that people think is wierd?
    3. What do you think is wierd that no body else thinks is wierd?
    1) I don't really think anything I eat is too weird. My friend introduced me to peanut butter and jelly on a tortilla. That is weird, but it is great! Sour pickles and natural peanut butter is good. Carrots and peanutbutter are good. Lime and orange juice is good. green olives are good on everything in place of salt. Black olives and kalmata olives are good on things too.

2) People think pretty much everything I eat is weird. I don't peel things like carrots or potatos. I eat most veggies raw and plain. I always eat sunflower seeds with the husks on. I eat what I consider to be a normal amount of beans and people freak out and say I am going to get diareah or gas . Whatever, my body is used to eating veggies. I don't sweeten anything. I drink seltzer water, orange juice and a lime instead of pop. I don't like ice. I will drink pop flat and at room temperature. I like olives, people always think that's weird and they are my favorite food, I put them on almost everything. I love avocados. i drink soymilk and I eat tofu.

3) I am with Lyric Sarah, I think mayo is weird. I always have, I am afraid to even touch it, it totally grosses me out. I don't mind it in something (spinach dip, artichoke dip) but if I can taste or smell it I can't eat it. I think its weird how people won't eat veggies. people get grossed out by them and sometimes won't even touch them. this guy at work is afraid, one time i put some brocolli on his keyboard and he freaked out. I think eating meat is weird - it's dead! Gross. Stealing cow's milk and eggs is weird too - who thought of that?

tofutti better then creamcheese and Jam sandwiches.
    veganaise and ketchup on potatos. and veganaise and chips
    ketchup on non dairy mac & cheese
    also, the pb and soy baccon sandwich sounds great sans pickles!

Default Re: Wierd food

Quote Banana
    Yeast extract with avocado houmous (come to think of it, any houmous) or marmalade on top, on toast.

Default Weird food

That's totally disgusting! I just can't handle the sweet with savoury thing.

I eat kiwi as a whole, skin and all, as I cannot be arsed to spoon them.

LittleTigercub

1-I put packets of nuts in ready salted crisps and give the bag a shake to mix em together. Peanut butter (there's a peanut butter theme going on here!)with apple slices. Crisps dipped in marmite. Crisps and plain chocolate ate together(alternating bites) tastes weird but good. Muesli/breakfast cereal on it's own ie no milk

2-Just being vegan period. People think that's weird.

3-Ordinary bread-ugh! I can have it toasted, I like rolls and crusty bread and naan and all the exotic varieties but the ordinary sandwich stuff is soggy and bland to me. Cereal with milk, even soya milk, makes it soggy and ruins it. And I can't stand sunflower seeds! I know the suflower is the vegan society's logo but they are horrible, even the smell. And I hate gravy it reminds me of dog food.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

[QUOTE:littleTigercub]I eat kiwi as a whole, skin and all, as I cannot be arsed to spoon them.[/QUOTE]
    I have done that before - but I don't like it

[QUOTEoveInGreyClothing]Ordinary bread-ugh! [/QUOTE]
    ME TOOOOOO! I love the thick dense sourdough breads, anything with loads of grains and seeds in it, pita, tortillas etc...but give me plain sliced bread and I would rather starve

Quote DoveInGreyClothing
    Crisps and plain chocolate ate together(alternating bites) tastes weird but good.
    I just started laughing when I read that! That is wierd! I am just trying to imagine you Dove, having a crisp and then a bit of dark chock, then another crisp and a bit more chock lol

Seaside

None of the peanut butter combinations listed here are weird.....
    Fruits and vegan cheeses are vegan versions of French desserts....
    Unpeeled fruits and veggies are not weird.....
    You can even get potato chip/crisps coated in white chocolate in the USA....

Spaghetti with yellow mustard, now that's WEIRD!!! (But yummy!)

Posted by LyricSarah:
    -mix a LITTLE soy sauce or tamari with vanilla soy frozen dessert...it taste like butterscotch!!!
    OK, THIS might be weird!

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

hmm.... weird foods... well, some might consider it odd that I like ketchup on lots of things-- bread, zucchini, green beans, spinach, carrots-- yumyum!
    oh, I also like to broil/microwave/bake a lot of fruits before I eat them sometimes. This includes bananas, mangoes, strawberries, kiwis, blueberries, pineapple, apples, and peaches. tasty tasty tasty!
    now, what I CANNOT fathom is eating a kiwi with the skin! yikes!

My favorite dessert is fried bananas served with soy ice cream, a few people I know think that is weird.

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

mmm, I think that sounds really yummy, desert rat!

tails4wagging

Marmite on crumpets, yummy!!!!. (asda's is vegan).

peanut, banana and golden syrup (very fattening!!) sarnies.

I was experimenting last weekend and made an absolutely delicious but fattening dish:

I made a big bowl of popcorn then melted some Earth Balance (vegan margarine) in the pan and added a few teaspoons of peanut butter which I melted as well. Then poured the entire, fatty, concotion over the popcorn. Absolutely delicious!!!

Though clean up was a bitch.

spo

Mine is Peanut Butter on whole wheat with HOT jalapeno and habenero chili preserves. They are sweet and hot all at the same time. I love it.
    I also melt Earth's Balance and the Hot preserves and pour that over popcorn. Delicious but makes my nose run.
    spo

Quote tails4wagging
    Marmite on crumpets, yummy!!!!. (asda's is vegan).

peanut, banana and golden syrup (very fattening!!) sarnies.
    WHat is a sarnie?

It's slang for a sandwich, Banana.

Never heard that one - In OZ LANG, we call it a sambo.

tails4wagging

Yea Gods banana, if we called a sandwich that over here we would be hauled up in front of the race relations board as it is classed as an offensive word!!!!. Mad isnt it!!!

LOL

I like raw tofu (smoked anyway) and I've discovered that if you eat some brazil nuts then eat a banana, it tastes like chicken!

spo

Quote Evilfluffbunny
    I like raw tofu (smoked anyway) and I've discovered that if you eat some brazil nuts then eat a banana, it tastes like chicken!
    Thanks for the warning EFB--I will NEVER do that!
    spo

Thanks for the warning EFB--I will NEVER do that!
    spo
    I meant it tastes nice actually! I think I'll invent something new - Vegan Chicken Banana-Nut Nuggets.

spo

OK, EFB, you convinced me; I am going to give that a try.
    Anyway, I could hardly contain my curiousity
    spo

Seaside

You take a whole bunch of basil seeds (you have to buy them in bulk - a regular seed packet doesn't have enough), and soak them in water until they get a thick coating of gel and they look like frog's eggs, and then you use them as a topping for soy ice cream! Weird, but good!

spo

Hi, Seaside
    What flavor Soy ice cream? Are you partial to the Double Rainbow Vegan Soy ice cream? We have it here at Trader Joe's. I think it is terrific!
    spo

Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket - at http://www.worldwatch.org/features/food/ - I especially liked A Tale of Two Tomatoes!
    Eve

Quote Seaside
    You take a whole bunch of basil seeds (you have to buy them in bulk - a regular seed packet doesn't have enough), and soak them in water until they get a thick coating of gel and they look like frog's eggs, and then you use them as a topping for soy ice cream! Weird, but good!
    Sounds like something from a horror movie. I'll take your word for it .

Are you partial to the Double Rainbow Vegan Soy ice cream? We have it here at Trader Joe's. I think it is terrific!
    Oooo, that is the best. The mango/vanilla and cherry chocolate chip-YUM!!! I wish TJ's would sell more of their flavors.

Seaside

Default Re: Weird food

Posted by spo:
    Hi, Seaside
    What flavor Soy ice cream? Are you partial to the Double Rainbow Vegan Soy ice cream? We have it here at Trader Joe's. I think it is terrific!
    Any flavor will do. The basil topping has no flavor of its own, just texture.

Posted by feline01:
    Sounds like something from a horror movie. I'll take your word for it .
    Its fun for Halloween!
    I remember an Asian canned drink with basil seeds in it, and some fruit juice. I think it is from the Phillipines, but I could be wrong. I should go looking for it again. The description sounds gross, but the texture is really rather nice.

I like sandwiches made with pickles, vegenaise, and italian dressing. Also, chickpeas mashed with mustard.

cross barer

Quote littleTigercub
    I eat kiwi as a whole, skin and all, as I cannot be arsed to spoon them.

LittleTigercub
    I'm allergic to kiwifruit, if I eat too close to the edge I get this horrible sickly itching sensation down the back of my throat. However I can't resist using them whenever possible for the aesthetic value! What an amazing colour on a white plate with red berries...

sugarmouse

lol im wantin to try half of this stuff now!i never peel carrots either.and i never eat the middle of bread, just the crust.which is a bit strange i suppose.i put ketchup on everything, even tomatoes...

Quote adam antichrist
    I'm allergic to kiwifruit, if I eat too close to the edge I get this horrible sickly itching sensation down the back of my throat. However I can't resist using them whenever possible for the aesthetic value! What an amazing colour on a white plate with red berries...
    Adam,
    Please don't eat kiwis until you get an allergy test. If you are getting itching in the throat it could potentially be a serious allergy. I'm allergic to a bunch of antibiotics, and if I took them I would go into anaphylaxis.
    Sorry to sound like such a nervous jervous, but I just read that and I had to write.

Quote Kiva Dancer
    I like *M*'s combination.

I also love peanut butter with sliced tomato and onion. Sliced pickles and soy bacon with that makes it pure heaven.

People think this combination is bizaar but I think it's devine.
    Peanut butter, tomato, and onion sounds yummy!

I love toasted peanut butter and soy bacon sandwiches.
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

One of my favorite snacks may be a little weird. I take a couple of spoons full of spicy brown mustard. I add a spoon or two of Veganaise. I stir them together. Then, I slice up a carrot and use the mustardaise as dip. Yummy!

Some other things:
    I like to put maple syrup in my coffee grounds before making coffee. It gives the coffee this interesting smoked flavor.

I too like peanut butter on apple slices

I like to dunk ginger snaps in chamomile tea. Mmmmmm.

Some foods I don't get are anything in the licorice/fennel/anise category. They make my mouth feel all nasty. Gross. And eggplant! I'd rather eat the sole of my shoe. I think it would taste better and not be slimy/mushy/pus-like.

I guess all of that isn't too weird, after all.

Cheers,
    rant