Thread: Carbohydrates - or lack thereof

Unhappy Carbohydrates - or lack thereof

Has anyone else experienced this? For a few weeks now I've had 'brain fog' (it's the only way I can describe it), where I've felt as if my concentration isn't what it was, and that only half of my brain has been functioning. I've also felt very tired late afternoon/early evening. Before I became vegan, this never used to happen.

Anyway, I've been to the GP today, who says that it's most unlikely I will be deficient in anything (in fact, previous blood tests have always come back fine), but that I need to eat more carbs. Up to now, I'm sure I've been eating enough rice/pasta/bread with each meal, but the GP seems to think this might not be sufficient. I did reassure the doctor that I was eating properly every day, but she said the effect might be cumulative.

Please tell me I'm not the only vegan with this problem!!

I get the brain fuzz the odd time, I'm never really sure what causes it but I certainly don't lack carbs in my diet! I usually try to eat something like nuts, something with a bit of fat and protein, and drink some water to get my head back in gear but don't take that as medical advice!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Carbohydrates - or lack thereof

I've had periods of brain fog but it's been more hormonal, perimenopause.

I went through surgical menopause at the age of 33 (seven years ago) and boy did I have brain fog! I have to take hormones to feel human without ovaries but I still get brain fog if my thyroid is low (I also have hypothyroidism). Otherwise, I don't have that issue too much. I space out my meals so I get five small meals a day instead of three large ones and it has helped enormously in my energy level and stamina. I have done this for over two years now but I did it off and on before that. I eat plenty of carbs (probably more than a lot of people).

I have had brain fog.. doc said it was to due with my lack of vit b12 at the time.. and to be fare it did improve after takin some vit pills which i normally dont like doing, but have to say on this occasion it helped.
    Potato LoVe

I have occasionally had something like that but my theory is that's more to do with low blood sugar, which is likely to be more down to having the wrong type of carbs (i.e. refined ones that burn up too fast) rather than not enough carbs, I think.

I can't see why not enough carbs would have that effect unless perhaps one wasn't getting enough calories overall? (Not a problem here sadly!)

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm going to have another blood test shortly, so that might show something. AFAIK I'm getting enough B12, as I drink plenty of fortified plant milk, and take a supplement, but I suppose I can't be sure until the blood tests come back. Harpy, you're right: the carbs thing is weird - I'm never light-headed or nauseous, which I'd expect if I was low on blood sugar.

Unless it's my hormones? But I'm assuming I'm a bit young for that (42)....still , one never knows.

42 is probably around when I was having my worst brain fog...

Ah. Perhaps I'm hormonal after all....I just attribute every health problem to being vegan. I don't really know what to expect tbh - have only been vegan since Feb this year. N00bs, eh? :S

Eating every 2hours seems to help for me like others have said. Also try journal-ling your daily mishaps.
    "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Vincent Van Gogh

markus I need to start journaling again. Good idea! My posts on this forum are getting way too long lol.

Quote markusaurelius View Post
    Eating every 2hours seems to help for me like others have said. Also try journal-ling your daily mishaps.
    Thanks for this - eating a bit more frequently seems to help. I just need to choose slightly more healthy options than hash brown barms!

Your welcome. At work I used to eat cold white baked potatoes with hummus but now I'm starting to go off them (maybe i will try sweet potatoes). I've just ordered a wide necked thermos which I plan on filling with some rice & vegetables for a change. Or porridge. I still eat overnight oats with banana, some kind of berry, cinnamon & maple syrup and don't seem to get bored of it so far though. Also I recently found spelt bread which is good but its 4 times the price of oats. Journal-ling is great for changing your ways. My brain fog can be fixed with practise imo and regular leafy green vegetable intake (Although somtimes I still feel like switching off at various points through out the day). You just got to know where your brain fog is taking place and make a note of it for next time. That way you become aware & bypass that automatic brain fog - "urgh did I remember to lock the front door on my way in urgh"
    Last edited by markusaurelius; Oct 29th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Vincent Van Gogh

1. Lack of essential fatty acids.. walnuts, almonds, etc..
    2. Demyelinating disease from the intake of fruits contaminated with organophosphates(pesticides).

Thanks again, everyone. I feel tons better, and have had some blood tests which show my calcium levels, phosphates and parathyroid are all OK. I wonder if this means that Vitamin D2 is OK after all?

So glad you're feeling better Blackpoolvegan - who knows, it might just have been "one of those things" (e.g. post-viral fatigue, you don't always notice the virus) and nothing to do with food at all.

Quote harpy View Post
    So glad you're feeling better Blackpoolvegan
    +1
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote harpy View Post
    So glad you're feeling better Blackpoolvegan - who knows, it might just have been "one of those things" (e.g. post-viral fatigue, you don't always notice the virus) and nothing to do with food at all.

Thanks, Harpy! Aaaah, that's interesting.............. I do feel almost normal, so I wonder if a viral infection is the answer. In fact, the first time I had a blood test, I got called back for another test because the first result was inconclusive: the practice nurse said it was to do with inflammation (probs viral). Hmmmm....