Thread: Adelaide vegans

Default Adelaide vegans

Since there is a growing number of Adelaide (South Autralia) vegans here it has been suggested that we have a thread to post local events and restaurant reviews and exciting *vegan finds* around the place.

Go somewhere yummo and vegan friendly? Have a favorite lentil locale? Find it in Adelaide? Post it here!
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Default Vegan Meetup Adelaide

Adelaide vegan meetup can be found here.

A new group that has regular events - sign up to recieve email notification of the next social outing - or even better - suggest an outing or activity.

Default Womadelaide

Hello I'm interested if you or anyone who is a vegan might be interested in going to Womadelaide on Sunday. I rang VenueTix and there are still plenty of tickets available. It's $95 for a whole day (12pm to 11pm) or $72 from 6:45 to 11pm.. My phone number is (08) 8266 6680. I know this is late notice but I was quite busy. I'm going to contact about 30 people but last time I did it I hardly got a reply so don't expect many of the vegan group I'm gathering to turn up. So please try reply to my phone no. or email at yanee@dbzmail.com. If this goes well perhaps we could make a mini vegan Adelaide club. Please if you don't want to go let your vegan music loving friends know asap.

Hi Yanee! I wouild love to go and have been for the last two years but am back to study and things are financially tight. I hope that you have a great time and meet other vegans. Adelaide vegan meetup was going to go but there was only mild interest. We have just started an Adelaide thread for Adelaide vegans and visitors here where you can find the link to vegan.meetup.

I wish I wish I wish I wish I could go Unfortunately funds are low to zilch with me also right now... But do please let us know how it all turned out for you, Yanee! Hope you have fun at Womad, it's such a brilliant festival! And maybe tell your friends about the vegan meetup group also

Default restaurant review

Govinda's Restaurant, which is in the centre for Krishna Consciousness at 25 Le Hunte st, Kilburn, has an $8 all you can eat (yes, ALL you can eat) vegetarian buffet meal. Went there with family a few nights ago and it was one of the most interesting meals I've ever experienced! Barefeet is a requirement and the Hare Krishna chanting goes on right next door as you dine! What's the catch? The food isn't entirely vegan (there was cream cheese in the salad), but just ask and they'll tell you what's in what. It's only open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and I think booking is a good idea, as it is in a tiny room (ph. 8359 5120). You are invited to walk around the grounds and chat with the residents. You may make an offering to Krishna if you please, or buy some handmade jewellery. Look for the little white bunny hidden in the carpark It's a very cute place, set in an old convent, with a very pleasant vibe to it. Definetely worth a visit. Just be prepared to consume more food than you ever thought could fit inside your body!!

PinkFluffyCloud

That (Govinda's) soundsfascinating, I would love to go somewhere like that for a meal.
    It's a bit far away, though!

Quote Yanee
    Hello I'm interested if you or anyone who is a vegan might be interested in going to Womadelaide on Sunday.
    So how was it Yanee ? Who did you see ? What did you eat ? Do tell.

LittleNellColumbia

Question Adelaide Vegans and products

Hey Everyone!!
    Im just wondering if anyone who knows, could post where to find particular yummy or needed vegan products in Adelaide or mearby, coz im having a bloody bad time of it!!! lol

Things i cant seem to locate ANYWHERE are:
    Decent melting soycheese
    Kingland soy yogurt
    nutrional yeat
    Tofutti brand products
    Yummy vegan chocolate
    Baked vegan good and pastries

I just dont wanna have to order things, it would be nice to be able to just walk into a shop and have it contain the product you need!
    I have emailed Coles in my area, and told them a list of products and vegan items i would like to see in store, and told them how dissappointed i was that they did not cater more the vegan population. Do you think this will work or they will just laff it off and chuck it in the recycle bin???

Thanks guys!!

Default Re: Adelaide Vegans and products

'Haigh's chocolates' do excellent vegan chocolate. They have a shop on the corner of Rundle Mall and King William St and have a shop in one of the arcades just off Grenfell as well as a shop near the Central markets.

'Wilson's Organics' (on Gouger Street) sell Green and Blacks organic vegan chocolate. They also sell the soy yoghurt that you referred to. 'Goodies and Grains' is also worth checking out at Central markets.

Vegan pastries are a little harder to find unfortunately but Clearlight on Rundle St sell nice vegan cake by the slice and yummy vegan lentil pies. I am not sure about toffuti as I don't use it but Goodies and Grains would be a good starting point for most of the products that you refered to. Their phone number is in the white pages.

Good luck!

Try out http://www.vegano.com.au/ - you can get just about anything from Vegano!
    Eve

cross barer

Also try the south Australian animal liberation website, contact them. I know of one vegan in their organisation, he'd help you out.

Quote happycow
    Hey Everyone!!
    Im just wondering if anyone who knows, could post where to find particular yummy or needed vegan products in Adelaide or nearby, coz im having a bloody bad time of it!!! lol

Soy cheese - Coles has those remarkable plastic cheese slices by Tofutti. I have bought some at Coles in Grote St, Adelaide. They melt-ish and are disturbingly familiar to the memory of the real thing.

Soy yogurt - "Soygurt" it's organic and made locally and it's better than the other two that are available around here. Worth the added expense (minor).

Most health foods have Torula or Brewers yeast easily available. Torula is more palatable if you don't *love* the taste, but Brewer's is more nutritionally packed.

Clear Light, downstairs in Rundle St have a delightful assortment of vegna pastries - you can buy them cold and take them home for the freezer, or have one (or two ) for lunch. They also have a huge range of herbal extracts and assorted products.

Wholesalers - Gaganis Bros. 9-13 Bacon Street Hindmarsh - near the Hindmarsh Soccer Stadium. Heaven - honestly, you have to go - you will love it - take a credit card and a trailer. Not expensive - just you tend to buy a lot as it is all so good. Nuts, seeds, dry beans, herbs and spices and loads more...

Community Aid Abroad stocks a range of Fair Trade dark chocolate - it's not bad, bit pricey - but then you are doing a lot of good too.

Haigh's Chocolate has an ingredients listing products that are safe for vegans. The chocolate coated coffee beans are a lovely occasional treat.

Always hassle if you want something. I heard recently someone saying that the response was always "No- there isn't enough demand"... and now the same products are on the shelves and in the refrigerators... Never hurts to let them know what you want as they know if you want it - there are chances that there are others out there hat do also and haven't thought of asking.

[Hello! BTW ]

LittleNellColumbia

Hello Veganblue!! wow thanks for all of that, its nice to have a vegan around Adelaide to share info and stuff with, and to chat too!
    Greatly appreciated
    I am yet to go to a vegan cafe or restaurant and i can't wait to coz i reckon it'd be a buzz to just be able to order what you want and know its cruelty free!
    Yep im gonna keep hassling coles........but i do wish i knew some more veggo down here coz i could get them to email aswell
    I can't wait till all the good products that the UK and USA get are available over here.....

Also, just one question: Is brewers yeast the same as nutrtional yeast? coz i thought they were a completely different thing?

Cheers for your reply

Constant Cravings chocolate is locally made totally vegan chocolate. You can pick them up at the Clearlight or Wilsons Organics on Gouger. Also sometimes Drift Cafe stocks them. Kingland Soy yogurt is stocked at the Healthy Life store in Rundle Mall and also at the Clearlight (if memory serves right..) Also at the IGA on Prospect Road in Prospect. I love that stuff

Coles on Grote street has a totally vegetarian cold section with lots of vegan cheeses and quick-make foods. Go to Goodies n Grains in the markets for a selection of creams, yogurts and cheeses also.

Don't dilly-dally any longer - Get Yerself to a vegan cafe or restaurant. We need to support these local businesses or they'll disappear!

happycow, you asked a question: "Is brewers yeast the same as nutrtional yeast? coz i thought they were a completely different thing." You were right first time, they are completely different products.
    Eve

LittleNellColumbia

Default Re: Adelaide vegans

Thanks eve! luckily i didnt go to put some on my spag bog.......

Vegetarian Action has organised Adelaide's 'Stop the Machine' campaign for World Animal Day 4 Oct. For more info visit www.vegetarianaction.org.au
    Eve

LittleNellColumbia

I went crusing around the city the other day and stumbled upon alot of cool vegan shops! In rundell mall, there is a plaza thingy, and down stairs it has a shop called "food glorious food" and it sells lots of vegan choccy and bikkies and stuff like that! Also, the health food shop in the mall sells great vegan chocolate melty bikkies and tofu and other cool stuff!