Thread: I'm going to do it! For real! Yum would appreicate some support please

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default I'm going to do it! For real! Yum would appreicate some support please

Hey there- I saw Korn had responded to my thread I had written a few months back. I have decided I will be going back to Veganism. I have just done a mega food shop a few days a go with non-vegan things in so will eat them and then off I go. ( I am far to broke to buy more food- i'm a vegetarian of 11 years and my daughter is vegetarian from birth ( she is 2 and 1/2). Hope you don't mind me posting in here. If I can still have access to the vegan food recipes on here I would really appreciate it! I don't get paid till the end of the month which will give me plenty of time to acustom myself with vegan recipes etc as I haven't been vegan for 3 years now. When I was vegan I was vegan for quite a long time and posted in here a lot. Then when I fell pregnant and become single within the same month I gave up veganism. Would really appreciate a support network and not be judged for having been vegetarian. For now my daughter will remain a vegetarian, as I am not comfortable I can provide her a balanced, varied and interesting diet as I have no idea what i'm going to eat as i've forgot pretty much everything to do with being vegan. Any support would be appreciated

yum
    xxx

Heya Yum, good to see you back!

Quote yum View Post
    When I was vegan I was vegan for quite a long time and posted in here a lot. Then when I fell pregnant and become single within the same month I gave up veganism.
    I can only imagine how stressful a time that must have been . We all get to veganism different ways, and for some people that road's a bit bumpy and that's okay. You can ease your little girl into veganism as you become more comfortable with it again, you're lucky that she's at an age where that will be (relatively) straightforward. There are loads of books and online resources for raising vegan kids and I know there are a few parents around the forum too. Good luck with returning to veganism and hopefully we can be a good support for you again
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: I'm going to do it! For real! Yum would appreicate some support please

Thank you for your reply! Will take a while to get back into he swing of things as i feel like im starting from
    Scratch as ive forgotten so much. At work today and decided frpm today o will buy no more dairy. Bit daunting! Not sure how this balance out helping animals when my daughter will still be eating dairy for now!?!! :-/

Default Re: I'm going to do it! For real! Yum would appreicate some support please

As well as forgetting hoq to go vegan ive forgot hoq to use this forum! Just replied and it disappeared! Was jist saying today is the day i stop buyung dairy. Im at work and aually have a choc croissant for breakfast. So will have to think of something else. Wpuld anyone
    Like to be/ or could be my vegan buddy- as in to text or inbox when i get stuck?
    Yum
    X

Quote yum View Post
    Would really appreciate a support network and not be judged for having been vegetarian.
    Given how much of a 'swim against the tide' veganism can feel like, sometimes; I'd not criticise anyone who slipped back into vegetarianism during very difficult times Yum.

For now my daughter will remain a vegetarian, as I am not comfortable I can provide her a balanced, varied and interesting diet as I have no idea what i'm going to eat as i've forgot pretty much everything to do with being vegan.
    There is a wisdom in not taking risks with such a young child ('muesli malnutrition' stories never did anything to help the vegan cause?) whilst you get yourself sorted outed, imho.

On the reasonable assumption that you are going to find a balanced, varied and interesting vegan diet for yourself quite swiftly that one should sort it outself anyway?

Probably worth speaking to a vegan freindly dietician about your daughter anyway though. My understanding is that a balanced diet for a child is slightly different than a balanced diet for an adult. Kiddies need more of certain fats and sugars and possibly certain other things.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Yum,

good to have you back!
    Am happy that you are giving it another try.
    Regarding your daughter - I can understand that it is a challenge. Nevertheless, you might consider trying to get her to also follow a vegan diet while she is still small, once she is old enough to be used to animal products and able to demand them, it might be more difficult.

Best regards,
    Andy

Thank you for your replies. I'm not thinking about my daughter being vegan at all at the moment as I have no clue what I'm doing at the moment. My daughter eats alot of quorn, hummus, pasta, toast, milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs and chocolate (now and again!) I dont want to affect what she eats whilst figure it out. I still don't know what I'm doing
    I work in sales at the moment and always snack through day and haven't bought anything dairy or myself. The plan for now is to work out all the vegan stuff for me and give my daughter the vegan meals.
    Mostly but continuing giving her the dairy she eats. It's hard but I don't want to make a big change for her. Hope this post doesn't offend anyone

Yum

Xx

Hi yum - hope things are going well, generally I mean?

Just wanted to mention a friend's son who was a very picky eater when young and put himself on a virtually vegan diet for many years: he would only eat things like rice, pasta, hummus and raw vegetables. He is in his 20s now and I believe he is lacto-veg these days unfortunately but anyway he has grown up to be a huge strapping chap so I expect your daughter will do well once you have it sussed out.

Yum, you might want to consider that there are not only ethical, but also health considerations involved ... http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

In shorts, the words. "milk does the body good" are normally only heard from dairy industry marketing information, but not so often from doctors or nutritionists (at least if they know what they aare doing). Even more so for eggs.

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi,

I don'y know you from before but welcome back anyway. I'm sure you will find your way back into eating in the way that used to work for you. Like QS said, being vegan isn't the easiest of paths and suddenly pregnant and single must have been very hard to cope with.

I'm not feeling the most confidant of parents right now, but if you are planning on transitioning your daughter off eggs and dairy eventually I'd suggest looking at it from the angle of finding vegan treats she likes and gradually dropping the eggy and dairy ones. Giving her new goodies and gradually dropping out the old.

My children are teens, gosh, my daughter is now legally an adult and until a couple of years ago were both vegan except for the odd treat exception via a friend and they are both big strong youngsters. My daughter is doing circus skills and is taller than me and her little brother is the tallest of us all at nearly 14 and is stronger than me. Bringing up vegan children seems good for their health, in my experience and from what I have read and seen on line. Mine, to my regret, both now enjoy eggs and dairy products.

Quote yum View Post
    The plan for now is to work out all the vegan stuff for me and give my daughter the vegan meals.
    Mostly but continuing giving her the dairy she eats. It's hard but I don't want to make a big change for her.
    Just a suggestion for a starting point Yum;

Using a simple food group chart take a look at a meal and see if it loses anything nutritionaly (protein calcium, whatever) if you leave the chicken-periods and cow-puss out.

Using the same simple food chart just find something vegan that contains the missing nutrition and chuck a decent handfull of that in.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Heya Yum, how're you getting on?
    Houmous atá ann!