Thread: Vegan Eats World

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Default Vegan Eats World

So I just picked up Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero. For those who don't know she is the coauthor of the incredible Veganomicon. This is book is set up the same way Veganomicon is but it is all international recipes. The book isn't out yet but I was at Tampa Veg Fest and Terry was there selling the book and as soon as I realized who she was I bought it. She signed it for me and everything.

Anyone who likes Veganomicon is sure to love this book as well so many delicious looking recipes.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna make first. Whatever it is I'll post pictures later today.

Default Re: Vegan Eats World

Thanks, its been on my Amazon wish list for a while but I will definitely buy it now its got a decent review!

I have just ordered Vegan Eats World as a belated Christmas present to myself-does anyone else have it and if so what are your favourite receipes?
    Houmous atá ann!

I got it as one of my Christmas presents from my sister (she got her wings for this), but I have not used it yet (I also received 4 other Vegan cookbooks - as presents to myself so its taking time to work through them). As soon as I have used Vegan Eats World I will post about it but I'm thinking soup might be one of the first recipes I make.

My copy arrived today, it is large and slightly overwhelming, but in a good way! I still haven't finished reading through it yet, I'll let you know if I ever make anything from it!

I made my first dish from VEW, the Ethiopian Berbere lentils (p165) with the dinner crepes (p203) as I didn't have any teff or buckwheat flour to make injera bread. The lentils were excellent, tasted exactly like food I've had in an Ethiopian restaurant. The crepes were good too, they use a mixture of wheat flour and chickpea flour so they hold together really well and are easy to flip. I think I made them a bit thick as the recipe said that it would make 9 and I only had 3!

Today I made Jamaican curry, in the book it is Jamacian curry w/plantains but I just made it with tempeh and chard, and short-grain brown rice.

I had never had carribean curry before. I liked it- slightly hot but aromatic and flavourful. All that coconut milk certainly didn't hinder it!

I looked for allspice but couldn't find it, although I did find a jamaican jerk seasoning mix in the UK import shop here in BCN with allspice as the first ingredient, so I figured that that would do!
    Houmous atá ann!

Me again! I made the Jamaican seitan patties (p213 I think) but with tempeh and mushrooms instead of seitan as I didn't have any on hand. They're really good, although I ended up with twice as much filling as I could fit into the pastry, maybe I didn't roll the pastry thin enough?

And I found allspice in El Corté Ingles, whole berries, under the name 'pimenton de jamaica', Jamacian pepper. Many more Jamacian curries to come! I'm really enjoying making more international food from this book!
    Houmous atá ann!

Me again! I made some of the savoury baked tofu and also some gyoza (although I made a different filling because I'm not mad about radishes!). I love this cookbook, couldn't recommend it highly enough if like me you like international food and experimenting with new flavours!

Today I made the Like and Egyptian Soup which was quite good, 5 spice seitan which was brilliant and the spicy black eyed pea cakes which I have frozen for next week.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Today I made the Like and Egyptian Soup which was quite good, 5 spice seitan which was brilliant and the spicy black eyed pea cakes which I have frozen for next week.
    Haven't tried those recipes yet, I love this book so much, everything is so interesting
    Houmous atá ann!

^^ I tried to make things that you hand't mentioned making in previous posts. The seitan was really really good, I will be making it again.

^^ I tried to make things that you hand't mentioned making in previous posts. The seitan was really really good, I will be making it again.
    Sorry if I have influenced your cooking decisions!
    Houmous atá ann!

I meant it in a good way so that different recipes got reviewed here.

I meant it in a good way so that different recipes got reviewed here.
    Good, so!
    Houmous atá ann!

Here are some pics of what I made:

Egyptian lentil soup:

Spicy black-eyed pea burger:

5 Spice Seitan:

All of that looks really good FS! I will have to look at the recipe for the bean cakes, your's looks so nice, I can never get bean burgers to stay together that well!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I can never get bean burgers to stay together that well!
    It has vital wheat gluten in which helps keep the shape, also I cooked it using a mini frying pan which really helps (it was £0.99 in B&M but they are similar to this: http://www.maiagifts.co.uk/Rex-Inter...prod_1916.html)

It has vital wheat gluten in which helps keep the shape, also I cooked it using a mini frying pan which really helps (it was £0.99 in B&M but they are similar to this: http://www.maiagifts.co.uk/Rex-Inter...prod_1916.html)
    I've never put wheat gluten flour in bean burgers but I'll give it a try. I looked at the recipe and it also has chickpea flour
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I've never put wheat gluten flour in bean burgers but I'll give it a try. I looked at the recipe and it also has chickpea flou
    That it does! I think both flours + breadcrumbs help it hold together.

I have been using this book as inspiration alot recently. I made a stir-fry this evening, but instead of just soya sauce I used mushroom soya sauce, Kikkoman's, a bit of sesame oil and freshly ground schezhuan (sp?) peppercorns and star anise. I am gradually building up to having all 5 spices from the 5-spice blend!
    Houmous atá ann!

Today I made periogies for the first time ever using the potato filling. They are very good I have to say I did end up with alot more fillibg than dough though (always happens to me when I try to halve cookbook recipes!)
    Houmous atá ann!