Thread: looking to find vegan devon/cornwall group?

Smile looking to find vegan devon/cornwall group?

Hello, Im new to this site!
    I am moving to Devon/cornwall. (currently devon, but looking for a house!)
    I really want to find friends/groups that are vegan to make the move a bit easier. I will be living with my onmi boyfriend, and have friends around that are all omni. I just feel sometimes that it would be nice to have friends with similar views, rather than feeling confrontational all the time.
    I enjoy cooking and baking, hula hooping and fitness, nights out, crafting and art making and a whole variety of other things!
    thanks!

I'm not in the UK but I just wantes to say hi and welcome to the forum
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: looking to find vegan devon/cornwall group?

Welcome! We have about 20 threads with Devon or Cornwall in the thread title - maybe they are worth a look?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hello,
    there are some vegan people in Devon, I give you this message from EFFA (Exeter Friends for Animals), like this you can join some of their activities if you want:

Dear Friends,

Plenty to get involved with over the next couple of months....

Firstly, we have decided to hold a planning meeting/social get-together in Exeter on Thursday 25th October. We'll start off at The BikeShed (163 Fore Street) at 6 pm for the meeting proper, then go on to Herbies for a meal at 7.30 pm. All members are welcome to attend any part of this (but please let us know if you're joining us for the meal so we can book!).

At the meeting, we'll also be distributing posters/flyers for this year's Animal Aid South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival, which always comes round faster than you think! If you can't make the meeting but are able to display some publicity material where you live, please let us know and we'll get it out to you. More details about the Festival soon... in the meantime, if you are of an artistic bent and feel inspired, we would love to incorporate a members' arts and crafts section on our EFFA stall. Su has started the ball rolling with her lovely knitted toys which went down so well last year, so any more offers would be greatly appreciated!

To mark World Vegan Day on 1 November, Clare & Paul of Fairfoods have once again generously offered to organise a vegan outreach stall, giving away free food to the public. As we know, eating is believing! If you can help, we'll be in the usual place by Bedford Square from 12 pm. Afterwards (from 4 pm), join us at the Plant cafe for a drink and snack to celebrate!

Finally, we have attached the invitation to this year's joint EFFA/LACS Christmas meal at Herbies on 7 December. Please note you will need to send your deposit to Pete by the end of October to secure your place.

Diary dates:

Thursday 25 October : EFFA meeting, 6 pm at The BikeShed, followed by meal at Herbies at 7.30 pm.

Saturday 27 October: West Midlands Vegan Festival, 11 am - 6 pm at The Wolves Civic Hall. See http://www.veganmidlands.org.uk/festival/home.html

Thursday 1 November: Vegan outreach stall in Exeter for World Vegan Day. Organised by Clare & Paul (Fairfoods). Bedford Square from 12 pm. Followed by meet-up at Plant cafe from 4 pm.

Saturday 24 November: Animal Aid South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival. 10 am - 4.30 pm, Exeter Corn Exchange.

Friday 7 December: Joint EFFA/LACS Christmas meal at Herbies (see attached invite).

Saturday 15 December: Glastonbury Vegan Fair,Glastonbury Town Hall 11.00am - 3.00pm. Free vegan food tasters, info and stalls.

Armchair action

BADGERS!!! A few suggestions from Network for Animals (their website makes it all very easy):

- Write to your MP asking for them to confirm their position on the cull and whether they will commit to attending a debate on this issue: http://www.networkforanimals.org/news/call-for-badger-debate

- Write to the new Secretary of State for DEFRA, Owen Paterson: http://www.shootinginthedark.org/

- Write to leading supermarkets asking them to refuse to stock milk from badger cull zones: http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1736&ea.campaign.id=16398 (Waitrose, Co-op and M&S are on the "good" list!)

Another very good website with further suggestions for action is http://badger-killers.co.uk/

COSMETIC TESTING - 11th hour action: urge the European Commission to drop plans for a loophole and uphold the 2013 ban on the sale of animal-tested cosmetics http://action.humanesociety.org/site...0&dlv_id=51382

Noticeboard

- If anyone is interested in training as a badger vaccinator, Rodney at brownharepreservation@btopenworld.com has details of how to apply. Experience of badger surveying is a pre-requisite for the course. Cost is £750 but there may be a 50% Defra grant available.

- Carole at Animal Aid sends her thanks to all those who supported the Meat Wagon initiative. She reports that the country-wide tour was a great success, with 1,000 leaflets handed out at each location

Best wishes,

Sharon & Martin
    Exeter Friends For Animals

P.S.Please let us know if you wish to unsubscribe from this newsletter.

Email: mail@effa-uk.org
    www.effa-uk.org
    Last edited by Jara; Apr 27th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

thankyou for all the information!! i will look these things up
    also Hi Blueberries, where are you from?
    Kim

Quote Kim Day View Post
    Hi Blueberries, where are you from?
    Hi Kim! I'm Irish
    Houmous atá ann!

Hello again, here you are the next events for vegans in Exeter. There is also a dinner in Barnstaple so, if you are around call in!
    In it is the information about the vegan pledge which takes place every year in Exeter. You can have a try or encourage your friends. Maybe I'll see you there!
    I've copied a message received by mail:

To start the EFFA year, our social organiser Wendy has arranged a trip to Barnstaple with a 3-course vegan meal at Cafe Libra on Saturday 26 January. (This is the veggie successor to the Owl Cafe which some of you will remember from past visits.) The meal costs £14 per head, and the menu is attached. As time is short we will need to know numbers as soon as possible. So if you fancy brightening up the January gloom with some good food and good company, please contact Wendy on 01395 268823 or email tonywendy88@yahoo.com by the end of this weekend stating your menu choices. A party of us will be going up on the Tarka Line from Exeter: again, more details from Wendy.

Next on the EFFA agenda is a free community screening of the award-winning documentary film Peaceable Kingdom at the Exeter Phoenix Black Box studio on Friday 15 February (details here: http://www.exeterphoenix.org.uk/even...-journey-home/). We think it makes a compelling case for a more humane treatment of animals - all the more so because it is told from the point of view of farmers who have come to question the basic assumptions of their way of life. We think every meat-eater should see it, so please try and persuade a non-veggie friend/relative/colleague to go along. As the studio only seats 40, booking is essential and ideally we'd like to give priority to the "unconverted". But the good news is that the cafe bar has agreed to provide a special pre-show vegan menu (also attached - sounds delicious!) for £8.95 which everyone is more than welcome to partake in, whether or not you stay for the film. What's more, we're delighted to say that a contact at Exeter University is organising a screening there on the Tuesday of the same week. This is also open to the public and since the hall seats 152 there will be plenty of room for everyone. N.B. PLEASE CONTACT US IN ADVANCE FOR DETAILS OF BOTH SCREENINGS!

We will use both these opportunities to advertise the Exeter Vegan Pledge, which is back by popular demand after its successful launch last year! This year's workshop dates are 2 March and 13 April, and the venue will be the St Sidwell's Centre, which is handy for the bus station and city centre. Potential pledgers can sign up now via our website or by giving Kim a call on 07810 898440. Clare & Paul of Fairfoods have kindly offered to do the catering again, Jane Easton from Viva! will be giving cookery demonstrations at both workshops, and registered dietician Sandra Hood will be on hand with nutritional advice. The events are free, but donations will be very welcome to help us finance the project.

Ways you can help:

• Put up a poster (attached) at your local library, place of work, etc. (let us know if you need a paper copy posting to you)
    • Encourage friends, relatives and colleagues to try it - or give it a go yourself if you're not already vegan!
    • Help on the workshop days (e.g. kitchen jobs, setting up, clearing away, etc.)
    • If you have any tips for our guide to vegan-friendly places in and around Exeter, please send them in (e.g. restaurants with good vegan options, cafes with soya milk, hairdressers which use cruelty-free products, etc.)

Once again, we'll also be organising some social events during the Pledge month, which all EFFA members are welcome to attend (details to follow).

Here's a summary of dates so far:

DIARY DATES:

- Saturday 26 January: EFFA trip to Cafe Libra, Barnstaple. Contact Wendy (see above)

- Tuesday 12 February: Screening of Peaceable Kingdom at Exeter University. Queens Building Lecture Room 2, 6.45 pm for 7 pm start. Please contact us to book.

- Friday 15 February: Screening of Peaceable Kingdom at Exeter Phoenix Black Box Studio, 8 pm (from 6 pm for pre-show vegan supper). Please contact us to book for the film and/or meal.

- Saturday 23 February: Anti-fur stall, Exeter High Street by Bedford Square, from 12 noon. Help us raise awareness of this hideous trade - please contact us if you can lend a hand with leafleting.

- Saturday 2 March: Start of Exeter Vegan Pledge - introductory workshop (film, talks/discusssion, cookery demo, buffet lunch). 10 am - 2 pm.

- Sat 16 - Sun 17 March: Brighton Vegfest. An El Dorado for vegans and would-be vegans! Some of us will be making a pilgrimage there, so do get in touch if you'd like to meet up. See http://brighton.vegfest.co.uk/

- Sat 6 April: Animal Aid Grand National Day of Action: leafleting outside Exeter betting shops, from 12 noon

- Sat 13 April: End of Exeter Vegan Pledge - concluding workshop. 10 am - 1 pm.

ARMCHAIR ACTION (thanks to EFFA members for these alerts)

- Write to Exeter Makro store urging them to stop selling live lobsters. Contact details: Makro Stores, Yeoford Way, Matford Business Park, Exeter EX2 8LB, tel. 01392 823 430, email customer.services@makro.co.uk
    For more details of the campaign, see www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/vegetarianism//2694//

- Sign the online petition against pigeon nets on buildings, which can trap the birds causing a slow and painful death http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35356

- - - Updated - - -

I've realised the menus aren't attached, if any one is interested I could send them.

Being a Devonshire based vegan who spends a fair amount of time in Cornwall I feel as if I should say hello, especially as this year I want to get more involved in Veganism near where I live and not just online - I need more vegan chums.

hi enchantedgypsy
    I feel the same way, and currently live quite far from exeter without a vehicle. So many of the events held there arent possible to get to!
    Where abouts do you live roughly? Im trying to find out if there are any vegan happenings in Plymouth. Ive found one group, there email is plymouthvegans@yahoo.com

Hello enchantedgypsy, I hope it is of any help the information, maybe you can join some of the events.
    Best wishes

I copie for you the last news from EFFA: social events, vegan pledge, on line petitions:

Dear Friends,

Preparations are in full swing for this year’s Vegan Pledge, which we’ve now decided to call the Devon Vegan Pledge, to draw in people from further afield. There’s still time to sign up if you’d like to take part (see our website: EFFA -Exeter Friends For Animals-). And if you’d like to help out with the events or by putting up a poster where you live, we’d be glad to hear from you. There will also be two social events during March: a weekday evening meal at Herbies, and a special Sunday lunch & quiz at the Cavern, kindly organised by Fairfoods. Everyone is welcome to attend these events, whether or not you’re doing the Pledge, and it would be especially good to have a good crowd for the quiz as it’s also a fundraiser for the Pledge itself.

And don’t forget to contact us in advance if you would like to attend our community screening of Peaceable Kingdom next Friday (see diary dates). Bookings for the pre-show vegan supper are going well, so there should be quite a little party of us for that, even if we can’t all squeeze into the 40-seat auditorium. (Thanks, by the way, to those of you who have offered to give up your seat for a non-veggie if necessary!) Alternatively, all are welcome to attend the extra showing at the University on Tuesday.

DIARY DATES:

- Tuesday 12 February: Screening of Peaceable Kingdom at Exeter University. Queens Building Lecture Room 2, 6.45 pm for 7 pm start. All welcome.

- Friday 15 February: Screening of Peaceable Kingdom at Exeter Phoenix Black Box Studio, 8 pm (pre-show vegan supper at 6.30 pm for 7 pm). See http://www.exeterphoenix.org.uk/even...-journey-home/. Please contact us to book for the film and/or meal. N.B. Deadline for meal bookings/menu choices is TODAY FRIDAY 8 FEB!!

- Saturday 23 February: Anti-fur stall, Exeter High Street by Bedford Square, from 12 noon. Help us raise awareness of this hideous trade - please contact us if you can lend a hand with leafleting.

- Saturday 2 March: Start of Devon Vegan Pledge - introductory workshop (film, talks/discussion, cookery demo, buffet lunch). 10 am - 2 pm.

- Thursday 7 March: Vegan Pledge social event (1): Drinks/discussion at The Bikeshed 6 pm, followed by meal at Herbies at 7.30 pm. All welcome to either or both!

- Sat 16 - Sun 17 March: Brighton Vegfest. An El Dorado for vegans and would-be vegans! Some of us will be making a pilgrimage there, so do get in touch if you'd like to meet up. See http://brighton.vegfest.co.uk/

- Sunday 24 March: Vegan Pledge social event (2): Pop-up lunch & fundraising quiz at the Cavern, 83-84 Queen Street, Exeter.12.30 pm for 1 pm. Tickets £15 all-inclusive for meal and entry to quiz (£3 from every ticket will be donated to Devon Vegan Pledge). For details and bookings, see http://fairfoods.org.uk/events/exeter-cafe/

- Sat 6 April: Animal Aid Grand National Day of Action: leafleting outside Exeter betting shops, from 12 noon

- Sat 13 April: End of Devon Vegan Pledge - concluding workshop. 10 am - 1 pm.

- Sat 27 April: World Day for Animals in Laboratories. National March & Rally in Oxford, 12 pm. Details at http://www.wdail.org/. There might be a minibus going up – we’ll let you know if so.

ARMCHAIR ACTION

- Please sign the Hillside horse slaughterhouse petition: http://hillside.us2.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=4c95cca2af7aa16d5d44b5a9e&id=be8ef93a0 d

- Help stop the bull torture festival in Mexico: https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4565

- Support South West Equine Protection’s planning application to expand its facilities for rescued moorland ponies (details attached)

- Siobhan is monitoring replies to complaints about the judge in the Heythrop Hunt prosecution (see last newsletter). If you have received a reply, please get in touch with her at mail@paulsiobhan.com so she can pass on numbers to LACS.

- Following the government’s announcement to go ahead with the badger cull in June, the 38 Degrees petition is up and running again: please sign (again) here http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/badgers-petition

... And finally, some GOOD NEWS!!!
    As you may have heard, the EU is finally set to announce a ban on the import and sale of animal-tested cosmetic products and ingredients on 11th March 2013. For more info, see http://www.buav.org/article/1184/eu-set-to-ban-animal-testing-for-cosmetics-forever?dm_t=0,0,0,0,0. This is the result of many years of hard campaigning by animal protection organisations, and we would like to thank all EFFA supporters who have done their bit too over the years by collecting signatures, dressing up as bunnies, etc.! It just goes to show – we can make a difference!

Mousee!!

Hi there! My gf is from tuckenhay so we love Totnes. Willow especially and greenlife

Yes, is nice. I've been living in Totnes for two years and worked at Willow. Now l'm in Exeter, which l prefer, though.

Hello! Just wanted to say hello I live in Lyme, which is in Dorset, but just on the Devon border. I know about EFFA, but am always working when they meet/have events I don't drive, so have to rely on public transport, and sometimes feel that Lyme is very far from anywhere. It's a beautiful part of the UK, but it's easy to feel a little isolated here. So.... hello! x x

I'm from Penryn/Bodmin depending on Uni term times, in Cornwall Both me and one of my current flatmates here are Vegan c:

I want to visit Lyme Regis in August, a friend of mine is working that month in there. I really like this town, and now with the new veggie restaurant..!

I wanted to recommend a place in Exeter for eating. Mainly all the menu is vegan (even the lasagna, and the pizza has a vegan option). It has been always my favorite place to eat (now I work there!). If you want to have a look to the menu, is mouth watering

http://www.eatoutdevon.com/upload/pd...-OUT-DEVON.PDF

Say hello if you pop in!

Jara, it's great to know you work at Herbies, I'm in Exeter and have yet to visit! Do you know if your wines are vegan?

Yes! all the wines are vegan

That's brilliant! I know where I will be going for dinner next then

Good!

Quote Jara View Post
    Yes! all the wines are vegan
    And they are all organic..!

Best wishes

Herbies is really good I lived in Cornwall for many years and used to stop at Exeter and go to Herbies whenever we were passing through.

If anyone wants o pop in, I'm in the kitchen, don't doubt to say hello to the spanish lady.

Hello all,
    I would like to inform you about next events in March organized by EFFA. As most of you know, in March EFFA use to do the Vegan Pledge in Exeter. This year it is going to be called "Go Vegan" and there are some activities for encouraging people to try to have a cruelty free life.

Here I post you all the events, I hope it could be useful for those who have any interest in veganism:

Sat March 1: Launch Go Vegan Stall Bedford Square

Fri 7th: Peceable Kingdom screening, Exeter Phoenix

Wed 12th: Informal drinks, place TBC

Sat 15th: Go Vegan stall, Bedford Square

Th 20th: Herbies Go Vegan night

Sat 22th: Charity car fundraiser/ Go Vegan stall

Wed 26th: Vegucated screening, Exeter Phoenix

Sat 29th: Exeter badger march/Go Vegan stall/leafleting

Sat April 5th: Grand National leafleting (and maybe last Go Vegan stall)

Sat 12th: Bake sale/Go vegan Fair, Palace Gate Center

Between March the 29th and April the 12th it may be a pot luck, still to be confirmed.

You could visit EFFA's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/exeterfriendsforanimals

Or you can go to the EFFA's website: http://effa-uk.org/effa/effa.aspx

Regards!
    Last edited by Jara; Jan 23rd, 2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: adding EFFA's website

There's a couple of Facebook groups Cornwall Vegans & Vegan Cornwall

Newly opened fully Vegan cafe in Falmouth. http://www.wildebeestcafe.com/