Thread: All I can say is REALLY?????

Default All I can say is REALLY?????

Why is it whenever there is anything wrong with an individual it is obviously because they are vegan???? Like lets say a vegan passes out.....it MUST be bc they are low on iron. Or if someone who is vegan has an eating disorder.....it HAS to be bc they are vegan. Just irritated.
    Tanya

Default Re: All I can say is REALLY?????

True. Whenever I get so much as a cold, it's cos I'm Vegan. I just turn it around when they get sick, and say it's cos they eat meat!

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    Why is it whenever there is anything wrong with an individual it is obviously because they are vegan???? Like lets say a vegan passes out.....it MUST be bc they are low on iron. Or if someone who is vegan has an eating disorder.....it HAS to be bc they are vegan. Just irritated.
    I know it's really annoying, as a minority group the onus is on us to constantly prove ourselves. If something goes wrong with a vegan certain defensive omnis see it as preachy self-righteous vegans being pulled down a peg (honestly it says more about them than us). Veganism isn't a wonder-cure for everything, we're just normal people who sometimes have stuff wrong with us!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Jekyll View Post
    True. Whenever I get so much as a cold, it's cos I'm Vegan. I just turn it around when they get sick, and say it's cos they eat meat!
    Lol! Nice one Jekyll

I simply ask such people which is more likely:

1. That I caught whatever ails me by mixing with people who live entirely on low disease risk foods like celery, cabbage and carrots ..

OR!

2. That I caught whatever ails me by mixing with people who eat high disease risk shite like ... errrr ... meat.

"Eh?", "Aaaaagh ..." and "WTF!" are the three most salient answers I have ever had in reply to that question yet!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    "WTF!"
    That was actually my reply lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Veganism isn't a wonder-cure for everything, we're just normal people who sometimes have stuff wrong with us!
    It is not like we walk around trying to act perfect or like we will never have anything wrong with us. I just simply don't eat animals because I do not like the fact that something I ate had to suffer and die for no reason at all. Ik it probably should have been more towards improving my health, but I look at that as just a bonus!
    Tanya

I think it's partly a question of "perceptual salience" (http://changingminds.org/explanation...l_salience.htm), a psychological quirk - people remember that you're vegan because it's still relatively unusual and then they want to attribute everything that happens to you to that. 'Course some vegans may perhaps oversell the health benefits as well, which may encourage other people to look for counterexamples

I had a cold but still decided to go hiking in a sierra with some friends, when we got back the mother of one of the friends said "it's because he doesn't eat properly, he needs to eat meat" when someone mentioned that me and another person (meat eater, btw) were struggling a bit. It had to be my diet of course and not that I had a cold, had never been at that type of altitude before, had never gone camping/hiking before or that I was over a foot taller than everyone else... >_>

People can just be ridiculous. I have to bite my tongue so I don't snap at them and start a fight. I just get so annoyed. I mean of course it would be none of those reasons Lentils, it has to be because you are vegan. Just like me being getting up at night and eating a ton of food has nothing to do with the fact that I am bulimic and making poor choices, it must be because I am a vegan and need to eat flesh to stay full.
    Tanya

If you live outside the 'conventional norm', so to speak, you are going to get jibes and sneers. People are ignorant (I use that word in the sense of people being so brain-washed into believing that meat and milk are essential to live).
    Not so long ago, vegetarians were 'flaky, bunny hugging, sandal wearing, carrot crunchers'....Now, when someone says they're a vegetarian, nobody bats an eyelid.
    We're seeing the same thing with veganism. We're 'extremists' and 'holier than thou' apparently and yes, one sniffle and its 'there you are we told you so'.
    But we must brush off such things. Every one of us is proving a point; helping, even if only in our own small way, to make the world a kinder, more gentler place. In future times, more and more people will follow our example and veganism will be readily accepted.

Quote knightofalbion View Post
    Every one of us is proving a point; helping, even if only in our own small way, to make the world a kinder, more gentler place.
    This is true and it made me think of two quotes that I like..

"Whatever you do will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it anyway" ~Gandhi

"Every snow flake in an avalanche pleads not guilty" ~Stanislaw J. Lec (apparently)

Which makes me worry that the ease of being just one little snowflake weighed against all the aggro of doing the insignificant is not much of a contest at all.

Incomplete thought in my mind .. shall be making that my point of ponderment for the day .. I think ..
    All done in the best possible taste ...

It's weird that I can't even remember if anyone has ever been sarcastic to me when they learned that I am a vegan. Maybe because I am not too preachy about it. But if asked I am always happy to engage them, I say that it's better to leave animals alone and that is what really turned me on to a plant-based diet. Then I might talk just a bit about the environment and the economic benefits of agriculture as compared to livestock farms. But I never really sell veganism on the health stuff, because afterall we are all gonna go sooner or later. But that is just me.
    Respect for all living entities

When a vegan who has been well for about 5+ years and finally get sick, all of a sudden it's veganism.
    When a meat eaters who keeps getting sick over and over again, it's probably because of how unlucky the person is or is eating too much junk.

Sounds like a load of bs!

Quote Jivattatva View Post
    It's weird that I can't even remember if anyone has ever been sarcastic to me when they learned that I am a vegan. Maybe because I am not too preachy about it.
    I am not very preachy either bc doing that really doesn't seem to ever help. I don't think I have ever spoke to anyone about the health benefits besides my husband bc no one I know would care.....sad actually. They only time most people seem to really care about their health is when they become actually ill.
    Tanya

Ugh, the joys of being a minority. Which reminds me... WHY do I have to be part of so many???

Well anyway, I always feel weird about getting sick now and maybe tend not to mention it so much since people will attribute that to my diet. Of course when I ate meat or dairy or eggs and I got sick soooo much more, it wasn't my (bad) diet then. And no one seems to mention diet when it's other people getting sick. Neither do I, but I'm sure people would be glad to tell me.

It's sad that we have to be perfect, as every little tiny thing is because of our horrible diet.
    Yet non-vegans, it's perfectly normal for them to get sick.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

I find it funny that some people assume a vegan diet must be unhealthy and that it must lead to some sort of a deficiency. I mean, if you eat a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and perhaps beans/soy, what exactly are you going to be deficient in? It's a good idea for anyone to take vitamins B12 and D as a supplement, meat or no meat. My mom is really worried about me because most of my caloric intake is from bananas and dates. I don't see what's wrong with that, most other people eat bread the way I eat sweet fruits. I'm quite sure it is healthier.

Some vegan diets simply are unhealthy, but so are many diets that contain meat, dairy and the likes. I don't think dairy or large quantities of meat is ever healthy, but if you're a vegan who mainly lives on crisps, vegan chocolate and bread you're not necessarily the healthiest person in the world. A lot of fast food contains meat and cheese, so at least vegans won't eat these, but then not all carnists do. I don't know, it's complicated

It’s possible to have a very healthy vegan diet without much effort, but any diet can be unhealthy, especially if it lacks in fresh fruit and veg.