Thread: How can I eat enough calories and get all my nutrition while restricting fiber?

Default How can I eat enough calories and get all my nutrition while restricting fiber?

I am on this diet program right now. It's really great, I was on it while I was a meat-eater. But, I was in a stressful time in my life then and I quit, gaining back the 100+ pounds I lost.

Now that I'm a vegan again (I was vegan for a few months a couple years back, but I stopped for a while due to a combination of factors.... anyway, the past is behind me), I want to continue on this diet program. And I really do have to play by his rules, whether or not I agree with them, because otherwise it doesn't work.

I'm a 6'2" male, weighing 375 pounds. My maximum limit (which may be lower than the amount I should have as-is) is 2200 calories, which is in addition to daily exercise. The only other thing I need to worry about is that I must intake 25-40 grams of fiber. That's non-negitiable. I am trying to cut out non-healthy vegan foods from my diet, or drastically reduce them.

How can I ensure I get enough calories and nutrients without resorting to empty calories such as soda, and I'm also trying to eat less processed foods like these fake meats, etc although I love them. It seems like most fruits and vegetables are really low in calories yet proportionally high in fiber. If I have to cut my fiber at 40, how can I work my diet to accomodate that?

Lots of doctors think that although fiber is beneficial, too much of it has drawbacks, so I kind of agree. Anyways, tips?

Default Re: How can I eat enough calories and get all my nutrition while restricting fib

There are different kinds fiber, but I don't think that getting too much fiber is a general problem for vegans. Is there any particular food type you have problems with - or which you think contains too much fiber for you?

Lots of doctors think that although fiber is beneficial, too much of it has drawbacks, so I kind of agree.
    Why do you agree?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: How can I eat enough calories and get all my nutrition while restricting fib

Quote Korn View Post
    There are different kinds fiber, but I don't think that getting too much fiber is a general problem for vegans. Is there any particular food type you have problems with - or which you think contains too much fiber for you?

Why do you agree?
    Well, just this

http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp

Is it possible to construct a 2200 calorie diet while restricting fiber to 40?

I haven't been eating healthy, but I'm going to transition. My tracker from yesterday was like

Breakfast
    Boca spicy chikn patties x 4, 560 cals 8 fiber
    Nayonnaise 30g, 70 cals 0 fiber

Lunch
    Chipotle burrito bowl (consisting of brown rice, black beans, guacamole and hot salsa)
    470 calories, 23 fiber

Snack
    Frito Lay Peanuts, 1 package, 260 calories 4 fiber

Dinner
    Boca Spicy Chikn Patties x2, 280 cals 4 fiber

This totals up 1640 calories and already I am at 39 fiber. I also drank a 260 calorie soda bringing me to 1900, but still, soda isn't healthy.

I think the fact that I'm a 375 pound guy shows that nutrition hasn't exactly been big on my agenda, but as a vegan it needs to be, and I plan to gradually move in more healthy options such as actual fruits and veggies, etc.

BUT these things seem to have so much fiber! How will I limit it to 40? Is it even possible to do this healthily?

I could probably eat more than 40 if I could get a doctor's advice stating such. But that's like $100 I don't have to spend. And there are articles stating that too much fiber has side effects and isn't any healthier to eat more than that. But It seems to be not that big of an issue... still I have to check in my numbers each night on this program and my fiber has to be <= 40.

That link doesn't seem to suggest fiber is bad?

AFAIK most people could do with more fiber. What diet is it that says you should restrict it?

Don't high calorie foods that are low in fiber usually have a high GI (lower GI being more healthy)?

You could drink more fruit juice to get calories with little fiber (fruit juice having much less fiber than actual fruit).

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    That link doesn't seem to suggest fiber is bad?

AFAIK most people could do with more fiber. What diet is it that says you should restrict it?

Don't high calorie foods that are low in fiber usually have a high GI (lower GI being more healthy)?

You could drink more fruit juice to get calories with little fiber (fruit juice having much less fiber than actual fruit).
    I didn't say that link DID say fiber was bad. The guy in charge of my weight loss program says it's good (but to not go over 40, where the big point of it is really to make sure they are getting at least 25).

I have to email in my numbers each night, and if I go over 40 fiber, all I'm going to get are emails the next day telling me not to go over my fiber, as opposed to emails saying I did a good job following the rules of the program.

Hi Karl! The food pyramid I am familiar with : http://www.veganfoodpyramid.com/ actually puts more emphasis on fruits and veg and less on breads and whole grains. How about preparing meals that are based around fruits and vegetables and less breads and pastas? For example, vegetable casseroles and stews. By eating tons of veggies and fruits, teamed with smaller portions of rice, pastas and breads, you might find you accrue more calories easily, as a simple vegetable soup can hold as much as potatoes, broccoli, carrots, onions, squash, spinach and loads of other stuff, all in one serving . Also the meal plan you posted seems to centre a lot on processed faux meat. Perhaps swap the 'Chikin' for beans and veg instead? Such as bean burritos, and vegetable wraps? Good luck with everything!!!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Can you say why he he thinks more fiber is bad?

I always thought, the more the better, when it came to fibre..... !
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

I quote:

I got your other email about too much fiber as well. Have you done a google search to see what some of the potential risks may be? On the extreme side of it, a decrease in vitamin, mineral, and nutrient absorption, as well as potential blockage, gas, bloating, which could lead to a short term weight gain. Now these are some of the things that we have found. How much is too much? With the possibility of these of having these thing happen, do you really want to find out? We know that it is recommended about 12 grams of fiber per 1000 calories, which for men and women it would be around the 25-40 gram range.
    He says there are lower-fiber alternatives even in a vegan diet:

There are some instances that you would need, even if you are vegan to reduce fiber and the foods that you would migrate to are low pulp juices, tofu, almond milk, as well as foods such as white rice, or white potatoes without the skin.
    I just want to make sure I'm getting all my nutrition in. Guess I really need to just try to eat balanced and if I'm still having trouble, go from there.

Hi again,
    here's an example of an articles which tries to go a little below the surface in terms of describing various types of fiber:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...emicals/fiber/

If someone suggests that some or all of these types of fiber are bad or you if the sum of total fibers exceed 40g/day, maybe you could ask them for a link to a scientific source?

Here is a very short excerpt from that article:
    Although people with higher intakes of fiber-rich foods, particularly whole grains, appear more likely to maintain a healthy body weight, the role of fiber alone in long-term weight control is not yet clear. Effects on body weight might depend on the specific type of dietary fiber.
    ----

I could probably eat more than 40 if I could get a doctor's advice stating such.
    For starter's, if you don't have a doctor's warning against getting more than 40g fiber/day, I'd try to find scientific info which explains why 40 is the limit, and if that limit includes all kinds of fiber. The article I referred to above explains, to some degree, how various types of fiber are different from each other.

If you avoid refined sugar (use fruit etc instead), avoid processed and ready made meals food (like fake meat, fake mayonnaise, and avoid repeatedly using the same 'elements' as main ingredients in your meal (per day/week), I think you'll soon see that your food habits will improve, you'll feel better, and the food will taste better. You'll usually also get a higher intake of nutrition - and more varied intake of nutrients - that way, and last but not least - eating will become more... interesting!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

The quickest way to loose weight is to increase your Vitamin A intake from plant sources. Fresh squeezed carrot juice and lettuce. The body NEEDS vitamins and minerals to burn the stored fuel.

The Gerson Therapy is a good reference.