Thread: How to make custard?

Default How to make custard?

Hi everyone,

Could you please tell me if it's possible to make a vegan custard without using cornflower and if so, how do you get the custard to look pale yellowish?
    I used to use a brand of custard powder that made brilliant custard (i think it came from a company called Wholefood) but I just can't remember. It used to come in a cardboard box and if memory serves, it had a blue and white jug or something similar on the packet. The thing is, I can't tolerate corn, cornflower and maize products any longer, therefore I can't use this particular custard powder, hence the question.

Thanks very much

Hi Bluebell, I've never made custard before but I've seen recipes that use tapicoa starch and arrowroot powder as starches so they may work. As for the yellow I'd say either use a vanilla soya milk, they tend to be quite yellow in colour, or some food colouring. Let us know how it works out
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: How to make custard?

You could try using carrageenan as a thickener, I think thats what Alpro & Provamel use

Dear Blueberries and Firestorm,

Thanks for the arrowroot powder suggestion, that´s a really good idea. I´m not sure where to source affordable vegan food colouring and likewise with the carrganeenan. Although regarding the carrageenan, it was interesting reading about where it comes from and its many, varied uses. So thanks again!

If I manage to make something edible and pourable, I´ll let you know.

You could of course just buy the Provamel stuff which appears to be maize-free - though I don't know if it includes something else you can't have? http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/soy...-provamel.html

Just use a few saffron threads for the yellow colour. You could also make a soy bechamel sauce using flour, add some sweetner and the saffron to colour.

Sorry for the delay in replying. The saffron colouring is another great idea. Thanks! I'll do a couple of experiments at some point over the next few weeks and let you all know how it turned out.