Thread: Pig Dissection

Default Pig Dissection

So I've decided to go back to college and I'm in Biology. I knew there was going to be a fetal pig dissection lab in this course, but I felt I could handle it. WELL, last night was another story. I broke down and ran out of the room crying. Seeing the poor guys was much different than I thought.
    On a better note, this was the email that my professor and I exchanged. I thought this would make all my fellow vegan/vegetarian friends proud.

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:47 PM
    To:
    Subject: Pig Dissection Lab

Let me just start off by saying that I am trying very hard in this course. For some reason it does not come easy for me. I was aware of the pig dissection lab, but felt I could handle it. I have been vegetarian for 16 years, 6 of them being vegan, due to my moral standings. I wish to pass this course and I know walking out on that lab was not going to make my grade any better. Is there anything I can do to make this up? I can try my best to fillout the lab paperwork
    based on the videos or I can try my best towrite the paper as asked. If i can not make it up, I understand.

Thanks,
    Kim

My professor's response:

Kim,

I understand and respect your moral standings. I wish everybody is like you! I will drop this lab for you.

If you have any more concerns or questions feel free to ask!

-I

Guess it goes to show that standing up for yourself can do some good. :)
    Last edited by 3oranges1pear; Nov 13th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote 3oranges1pear View Post
    Kim, I understand and respect your moral standings. I wish everybody is like you! I will drop this lab for you.If you have any more concerns or questions feel free to ask!
    Wow, that's an amazing response, well on you! You're really lucky!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Pig Dissection

I agree, you are very lucky indeed! I had to take Anatomy and Physiology over the summer and my instructor emailed us ahead about a lab kit. It turned out the lab kit contained cow eyes and a brain (which I didn't know about until after I ordered and received it). I could not and would not take part in or buy these products to dissect and I let her know this, but she refused to budge (and claimed she was vegetarian herself...she wouldn't even let me make it up by doing something else). Thankfully I was able to switch to another class at the last minute after I contacted the other instructor and was told he only used online simulations for dissection. I gladly returned the kit but only got a percentage of money back. In your situation I would have probably done the exact same thing! I was ready to contact the physicians committee for responsible medicine to see if I could get some help. That was going to be my next step if I couldn't get into the other class. I was ready to fight it. School is a hard place to be vegan that's for sure!

Are you going for nursing? I was going to try to go into the science field, but this class is really tough for me. I don't understand why they don't do online dissections all around anymore. Do they purposely breed pigs for dissecting??

Actually, I am a non nursing student studying Health Information Management, but I need to have detailed medical knowledge for coding and analyzing medical data for providers. I hear you about the dissections. More and more places are doing them online but still so many do it the old way. There is one college in my city that is doing dissection using human cadavers for A&P which I wouldnt have minded because at least presumably those people gave permission before they died and weren't tortured and murdered first. It is barbaric isn't it?

Great, good for you and the prof

Robin that is so gross! I cannot believe they actually have students order stuff. I am very sorry, that seriously had to have made you flip when you realized just what was in the kit.
    Tanya

It is horrible that this sort of thing still goes on. I would have thought it would be preferable to use humans for these dissections, and as RW says at least they have given their permission.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yes but why use anything? Don't virtual dissections do the job just as well?
    Tanya

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    Robin that is so gross! I cannot believe they actually have students order stuff. I am very sorry, that seriously had to have made you flip when you realized just what was in the kit.
    Yes, I was irate! Why oh why can't they tell people this stuff in the description of the class BEFORE hand. I was not expecting a HUMAN anatomy and physiology class to have something like this. When I took the box to the post office to return it, the clerk was quite curious about what was in there as the box was labeled "science lab industries" or something like that. I think he was worried more about anything explosive or poisonous. The cow eye and brain was in a formaldehyde solution. Talk about a nightmare of an experience.
    In case anyone is wondering where the animal parts came from, the product came from e science labs, and when you go to their site and track the material data and safety sheet, it lists the animal specimans as being supplied by Carolina Biological Supply company. If you go to that website and click on "animals", you will get an eye opener of all the different animal parts (and living animals) they supply for not only colleges but grade schools too. Those animal parts are supplied by factory farms. They are byproducts of a brutal industry, and this is what our children are being given to dissect for educational purposes, including home schooled children. Frightening huh?

Absolutely terrible
    Tanya

Disgusting ! in this day and age we can easily do it using computer simulation !

In my biology class there was apart of dissection of rat brain but it was use with computer simulation and was recorded video , I was glad I didn't have to do it though .