Thread: L'Oreal buying Urban Decay

Default L'Oreal buying Urban Decay

Not sure where to put this, but personally I'm gutted. Urban Decay's thing is non-animal testing, comprehensive vegan labelling.... selling to such a disgusting company is shocking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ys-urban-decay

Default Re: L'Oreal buying Urban Decay

Very disappointing but they were going to start animal testing earlier in the year so they could break into the Chinese market. It seems like there was such outrage by their customers that they changed their mind. So it doesn't really surprise me but their 'We don't do animal testing. How could anyone?' is going to be pretty redundant.

This is alwful! How any so called ethical company with a strong vegan stance do this ? It makes you wonder how strong their morals were in the first place. Once again profit and greed prevail, what a sad world we live in....

But I use L'Oreal shampoo and they're not tested on animals. Is it different for shower amenities and face cosmetics?

L'Oreal tests everything apart from their Ever Pure range on animals as far as I know.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Aaargh gutted indeed!! At least half my makeup is Urban Decay and without parallel from other cruelty-free brands I guess I will just have to resign myself to ugliness when I run out of Love Junkie lip gloss, Pore Perfecting Potion and Gunmetal eyeliner...

I dunno anymore.. My makeup bag is in foreclosure! I can't keep up! I don't trust any of them! That whole Urban Decay thing melted my head! I spent ages researching and researching companies and asking and bombarded them with emails and they promised me they were 100% cruelty free.. so I bought a concealer and two weeks later that whole scandal hit the media.. I was so so sickened.
    By the time I've researched everything I then have to start again on anti-aging/stress products! So basically..I follow this rule: even if they have leaping bunny and vegan logos... if you can find it in China.. forget it! I also don't agree with buying from companies whose parent companies condone testing.. I feel it's the same thing.. you either have integrity in business or you don't.
    But since all of those companies were outted, I've been making my own face oils and masks! Granted, I can't make mascara and lipstick and concealer! So any recommendations would be great!
    Maybe we could start a makeup thread? Share tips and ideas? And if we find 100% Good Vegan products then share that too? Is that allowed? (sorry.. I'm a newbie!)

I've being buying stuff from www.naturisimo.com recently if you click on the item and then go to info it tells you if the product is vegan etc. They are all about natural and organic products so not the sort of thing you find on the high street but they have a good choice of different brand and I think they are free delivery as well.

I also buy Barry M products I usually buy the mascara as it's easy to get hold of in superdrug and Boots etc.

Another makeup brand I have come across that overtly states it has a vegan, organic and eco-friendly philosophy is Everyday Minerals. They are based in the US but you can buy their products online from the UK site Love Makeup.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check those out! : )

Jo

Smile LUSH has pretty good vegan credentials!

Quote Turtle.. thatisall View Post
    I dunno anymore.. My makeup bag is in foreclosure! I can't keep up! I don't trust any of them! That whole Urban Decay thing melted my head! I spent ages researching and researching companies and asking and bombarded them with emails and they promised me they were 100% cruelty free.. so I bought a concealer and two weeks later that whole scandal hit the media.. I was so so sickened. By the time I've researched everything I then have to start again on anti-aging/stress products! So basically..I follow this rule: even if they have leaping bunny and vegan logos... if you can find it in China.. forget it! I also don't agree with buying from companies whose parent companies condone testing.. I feel it's the same thing.. you either have integrity in business or you don't.But since all of those companies were outted, I've been making my own face oils and masks! Granted, I can't make mascara and lipstick and concealer! So any recommendations would be great!Maybe we could start a makeup thread? Share tips and ideas? And if we find 100% Good Vegan products then share that too? Is that allowed? (sorry.. I'm a newbie!)

Default Re: LUSH has pretty good vegan credentials!

Thanks jrw205! I have a few lush face masks.. have yet to check out their make up!

It seems to be the norm these days - smaller company manufactures a product that is compassionate towards animals, fair in the treatment of their workers and focuses on environmental sustainability, only to sell out to a massive, unethical corporation. I don't usually wear makeup, but Urban Decay was sort of my go-to brand for cosmetics such as their Deluxe Eyes eye shadow and their Pocket Rocket lip gloss. I'm bummed.