Thread: What Can Diabetics Eat to Stay Full

Not currently a vegan

Default What Can Diabetics Eat to Stay Full

As a Type ll Diabetic, most whole grain stuff spikes by blood glucose numbers. It's one of the prime motivators for me to go Vegan. Unfortunately those same whole grains are what make me full. I'm looking for help, please. Could other diabetic Vegans tell me what they eat to stay full? For me, the 1/2 cup of beans a couple of times a day and raw veggies and some fruits making up the majority of my other meals, just doesn't make me full. I've been Vegan for a very short time--about 2 and a half weeks--perhaps this too (the hunger) shall pass. Prior to embarking on Veganism, I was Pescatarian, eating fish 3-4 times a week.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Default Re: Help Wanted: What Can Diabetics Eat to Stay Full

Hi, I hope you will hear from someone else who has diabetes, but I thought I'd mention (in case you don't already know) that a lot of people find protein and fat helps with feelings of satiety. Could you include things like a few (extra) nuts (fat+protein) and maybe tofu (protein but not much fat) without upsetting your blood sugar?

Don't know if this article and the discussion under it is any help http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/vegan-diet.html - maybe you could try posting your question somewhere like that as well?

Well done for going vegan, I think it often does take people a little while to find out what eating pattern works for them, even without the complication of diabetes.

Have you tried green smoothies Grin?

I found them unnappetising myself (probably because I'm a chronic carboholic) but very filling. Extremely energising too. Had me bouncing off of the walls those things did!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Have you heard of the 'D diet'? I saw a talk about it and it sounded really good.

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaig...he-D-diet.html

Might not have anything too specific about staying full but maybe some of the things they suggest could be filling?

I'm diabetic and I tend to snack on nuts and raw veg in the day. Also I will try to bulk up meals with low carb veg (E.G. If I make mash potatoes I will mash some celeriac in which makes it go further without adding too many carbs).
    As you are type 2 are you taking pills or insulin? Generally if I want to eat more I take more insulin to accommodate it but obviously if you're taking pills that makes it much more difficult.
    There are several books available to help people who are vegan with diabetes: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...gan%20diabetic

hi Grinonneau!

I had pre-diabetes but I cured it with a low-fat vegan diet.

Mainstream medicine has not caught up with the latest nutritional research but the sugars/carbohydrates in food is not the primary cause of sugar-spikes and type-2 diabetes. The accompanying FATS is the culprit. Fats coat the cell membrane (wall) and prohibit glucose from being taken up by the cells. This results in the sugars staying in your blood stream which accumulates and spikes. Insulin tries it's best to mobilise the excess glucose but eventually over time people develop insulin-resistance and diabetes. (There is good scientific clinical nutrition research on this - just search Google Scholar).

Here is the deal: you can eat ALL the carbohydrates you want IF you keep your fat intake very low. No oils, and no more than 1/4 of an avocado or a handful of nuts per day. If you eat enough carbohydrates you will no longer crave fats as they are a dense source of calories. If you have enough calories from carbohydrates this will not happen.

I recommend whole, non-processed foods, so if you like your rice then go for brown rice. You can also have potatoes and other root vegetables, but eating fresh fruit is the best for your health so dragonfruit is great but so are all the other fruits! I love dragonfruit! Fruit is best as it digests so easily.

It may take you a while to transition. If you eat brown rice without fats you will not get sugar spikes. Allow about 3 days to detox.

Claire Jones

Not currently a vegan

Many thanks to all who helped me figure out how to stay full on vegetables, fruits and nuts. Adding a Vegan protein shake and some nuts has helped
    quite a bit. Thanks again for helping. I'll be back for a lot more advice.

Not currently a vegan

Thank you, Claire! Excellent points. It was great of you to help me.

Default Re: What Can Diabetics Eat to Stay Full

You're Welcome Grinonneau!

You can always send me a message if you have more questions or need more help regarding this matter. Have a RAWsome day!

Claire