Thread: biscuits made with water?

Default biscuits made with water?

I know it sounds dumb, but I've just developed a hankering for biscuits the way my dad made them - just flour, milk and baking powder because of wartime rationing - and milk alternatives are so expensive. Does anybody know what would happen if I made them with water instead of milk? I haven't made them since going vegan and I'm not a very good cook. And on a very tight budget. What do you think?

Default Re: biscuits made with water?

I think they would just taste of flour and baking soda to be quite honest.

How much does supermarket own brand type soya milk cost where you live?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post

How much does supermarket own brand type soya milk cost where you live?
    I was wandering about the same thing - AFAIK the difference here isn't big at all. Plus - rice milk or oat milk is just water plus some rice or oat anyway. So anyone with a hand mixer could make a milk alternative for their biscuits in no time.
    So - unless you are eating extreme amounts of biscuits, I don't think this should be a problem, dwdanby.

PS - my son made some pancakes for his non-vegan class mates not long ago, and they preferred his vegan pancakes (made with water; no milk substitutes involved...) over the traditional ones...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I think I'd try it with water, I doubt if the milk makes that much difference to the flavour or to the process. Maybe you could add extra flavouring (pepper?) to make sure they're not bland and a very small amount of vegetable oil in case the fat from the milk makes any difference to the chemistry? I see normal biscuits (which I think are a bit like UK scones) have some fat added?

Maybe you could add extra flavouring (pepper?)
    A small amount of vanilla also gives a richer taste, even if the amount is so small that it doesn't taste like vanilla. A small amount of coconut milk (again, so small that the result doesn't taste like coconut milk) may also be useful.

Quote Korn View Post
    PS - my son made some pancakes for his non-vegan class mates not long ago, and they preferred his vegan pancakes (made with water; no milk substitutes involved...) over the traditional ones...
    Lend me your son please, Korn?

All my attempts to make a decent vegan pancake have failed miserably and I really like pancakes

biscuits the way my dad made them - just flour, milk and baking powder
    And, now that my xmas 12 year old single malt has cleared my system, I realise that is a recipe for what we would call 'crackers' rather than biscuits. Why crackers made with water are called water biscuits rather than water crackers I don't know though.

Dwdanby, I think that if you try your dad's recipe with water instead of milk then a little pinch of salt may be all you need to add to it.

As Korn said though making your own milk(s) is easy;

1. Boil any pre cooked nut/seed/grain/bean in clean water (not the original cooking water).

2. Liquidise thoroughly.

3. Bring to boil again and strain thoroughly to seperate your milk from the solids.

If you're on a real tight budget here's how to make your own tofu:

1. Make milk with soybeans as above.

2. Return strained milk to boil and stir in lemon juice untill the milk seperates into curds and whey.

3. Strain that through a very fine cloth (muslin works best) and wring tightly to make the curds as dry as possible

4. Put the curds into a container and place something on top of the curd block to compress it.

5. Leave in fridge for a few hours before using.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Lend me your son please, Korn?
    Not needed. He got the recipe from me, I got it from my daughter, and here's what she found:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...294#post715294

Pretty sure I have, as our Southern family loves them. I add oil/Earth Balance though. Also salt to mine. Haven't made them in a while is why I'm having trouble remembering I guess. I don't usually seem to have a problem replacing milk with water.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden