Thread: My first vegan Christmas - went quite well...

Smile My first vegan Christmas - with non-vegan family - went quite well...

I've had a great couple of weeks over Chrimbo... Quite a few milestones and good Christmas things!

1) My first full family vegan dinner (in that me and the kids eat vegan, but my husband eats meat usually - this time he accepted TOFU - shock horror! - with stir fried vegetables and rice noodles, and LOVED it!)... He'd actually heard me out about feeding the kids vegan diets (WHOOP!) when I explained the nutritional info I had researched and after seeing how well I looked/felt for the past few weeks had to admit it seemed fair with the proviso that it was until they got old enough to understand where meat came from and choose themselves, and that there were still gorgeous choccies and things like that so they don't feel left out... Okay that's not a Christmas dinner type event exactly but it happened the week of Christmas so I considered it a Christmas "gift" in a way...

2) My first new set of vegan make up, and hair dye (although still got to perfect the tone/experiement with that one) which was nice as I had been feeling very frumpy (I had previously chosen to wear nothing on my face and not do my hair rather than putting things on my hair/face, eyes, or lips that came from any animals's suffering)...

3) I bought hubby VEGAN Christmas presents! Two pairs of shoes (which he really loves!), a gorgeous jumper, and some cologne (from Lush)...

4) Hubby bought me VEGAN Christmas presents! Yay! Some clothes (he had especially avoided a feather down coat whilst considering what to get me) and a bunch of beautifully scented vegan stuff again from Lush! He also bought me a big new office chair a couple of days before Christmas, and when I (politely and nervously) asked if it was leather, he said "oh no, I got you one that's only PRETEND leather!" (which it did say on the box)...

5) Went to the a Christmas dinner for the whole family (all meat eaters), hosted by hubby's sister (who is very well off), and I had told her I was "vegetarian" as at the time was only very new to veganism and thought it would pose a "stigma" so soon, so brought my own vegan sausages and gravy, only to find out she'd already bought them and arranged for the chef (yes - she hired a chef!) to cook them for me!!! Unfortunately there was butter in the potatoes I think, but I decided that was one for the "as far as reasonably and practically possible" part of the vegan definition, so thanked them and ate them whilst politely pointing out my preference for no dairy or egg, which chef duly noted, for next time...

THEN, as if that wasn't good enough, MIL asked if I was Vegan, I said "yes technically but I don't want you to think of it in the way that some non-vegans do - ie. food fanatics and aggressive activism" and she said "Oh no! It's quite normal these days! I don't think that at all!"... *wipes brow of sweat* Phew! I really thought of all the possible people who might "disapprove", she wouldn't understand...

THEN!!! As if that all wasn't enough, a family member told me all about a friend of his who makes vegan cupcakes and all about how he admired the ethics of it, and it was pretty cool "these days - not like in the 80's when even vegetarianism was considered weird"... LOL

So now, I'm officially "out" and I'm feeling supported (although of course some things aren't completely understood just yet, like why wool and milk aren't so innocent as they seem to be)! I have said that if anyone wants to ask me questions they can, but that I won't be shoving horrible facts down their throats, and they all seemed so relieved, that it then automatically paved the way for some of their questions... Hubby is fascinated by the change he's seen in me physically (not just in terms of weight, but my demeanour - I've been feeling joy and telling people about it, and my health - I have Fibromyalgia and have been feeling somewhat better - although I think that's partly due to my recent increase in exercise too!)... My other friends have asked how "easy" it was to find nice food (which I find very encouraging as it is the kind of question people ask when they are imagining the - however remote - possibility of trying something new)... And family are pleased to see they don't have to move Heaven and Earth to adapt to my changed preferences.

*happy faaaaaacceee*
    Last edited by Peabrain; Mar 31st, 2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: removing private detail of family member

Default Re: My first vegan Christmas - went quite well...

Dammit - got a feeling this is in the wrong place again. I'm finding it pretty hard to know *where* things go (d'oh! can anyone tell I'm a blonde?)... Apologies mods if this needs to be moved!

Glad it went so well, Pb - you sound a good advert for veganism

Heya PeaBrain, I'm glad that you had such a great vegan Christmas!
    Houmous atá ann!

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience. This was my first vegan Christmas too after 25 years of being a veggie. We hosted our parents so I made a nut roast (own recipe) which went down well with everyone, including meat addicted 87 year old father-in-law. Have to say I was astounded by his positive reaction! My lovely mum hunted out some Choices chocolate caramels fron Sainsbury's (which was fab as I was a chocoholic and missed CDM) which have all gone and I will be searching them out as they were delicious! Also enjoyed the vegan red wine specially selected for us by the lovely people at Vinceramos in Leeds. I'm loving the peace of mind this lifestyle affords - still got lots to learn but really enjoying the journey. Happy New Year!

Congrats PeaBrain & Angcat6! The first Vegan Christmas IMO is the hardest (but most exiting as well - trying new products etc) but it gets better every year!

Glad it went well for you PB and Angcat

For reasons too complicated to go into I had to blow out my family this xmas. Never had a family get together, ever, in which someone does not say/do something stupid or offensive.

Quite nice not having to sit through a 'cannibals picnic' over the holiday season, for once, though
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    For reasons too complicated to go into I had to blow out my family this xmas.
    Sorry to hear that, I hope you still had a good Christmas

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Sorry to hear that, I hope you still had a good Christmas
    Totaly cool one I had. TY matey

Nice to hear about all the positive experiences. For me, the holidays are always tricky. Not because I'd crave things (I don't), but because there's never a completely vegan menu, so I really struggle with trying to ignore pieces of flesh on the table. And to make it harder still, it usually doesn't stop there - as it is with special occasions, people tend to prepare something ''special'', so you are very likely to hear all about the kinds and parts of animals used and the whole preparation process. Which makes it so damn difficult being joyful or even not teary when you see the cute playful reindeer on the holiday table cloth beneath the deer roast.

How do you deal with it? I study abroad so I'm mostly only home a couple of times a year (usually holidays), so it's a family event and I cannot just excuse myself. I don't want to offend anyone by leaving, but staying (and eating after having lost your appetite) is also not easiest :/ (that's also why I tend to lose and not gain weight during X-mas).
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

Quote Anouk View Post
    .. I really struggle with trying to ignore pieces of flesh on the table. ... Which makes it so damn difficult being joyful or even not teary when you see the cute playful reindeer on the holiday table cloth beneath the deer roast.
    That's that 'cannibals picnic' thing I was talking about Anouk.

How do you deal with it?
    I dealt with it (past tense) by using my sense of humour to really make people squirm over what they were actualy doing.

Lately I came to the conclusion that I was mostly just "teaching pigs to whistle" and as the saying goes that only serves to waste your time and, from the pigs PoV, is cruel.

Now I have the luxury of being reclusive. To avoid them seeing their own cruelty, and perceiving the cruelty to be mine, I simply choose not to eat with 'pigs' at all.

I did pretty good with my first Christmas being vegan...i am the only 1 in my family and most respect my wishes but it is still hard as some wonder "Is just a fase she is going thru,is this costing us more money, etc" But i like it and will stick with it as this is what is best for me!!

Thanks all. Great news Angcat6. Glad you enjoyed your choccies!

Cupid, sorry to hear you have people who are unsupportive around you, but glad you enjoyed your Christmas the way you wanted. I think the expectation society has, that one has to hang out with family all the time is unrealistic, sometimes your friends (or just you) are better company innit?

Anouk, I can relate... I live with a meat eater (my husband and I were both meat eaters until I became vegan 2 months ago) so I was immediately faced with that situation on a daily basis (not the reindeer tablecloth underneath a deer roast exactly, but someone eating meat) and I was mentally torturing myself at first. I mean really badly. But then I realised that as someone said on here, good people can make bad choices, and I saw this quote by the Dalai Lama: "Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." so I started to concentrate on myself and the good I was doing, which in turn actually made people start asking sincere questions! LOL...

Anyway, here's wishing you all a Happy New Year. xxx
    Last edited by Peabrain; Dec 31st, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Cupid, sorry to hear you have people who are unsupportive around you, but glad you enjoyed your Christmas the way you wanted. I think the expectation society has, that one has to hang out with family all the time is unrealistic, sometimes your friends (or just you) are better company innit?
    Ty for the kind words there Pea Brain

Saying I like; "If your not happy in your own company then you must be bad company"

And from Leonardo DaVinci on the subject of seeking company amongst the thoughtless ..

"If you are alone you belong entirely to yourself. If you are accompanied by even one companion you belong only half to yourself, or even less, in proportion to the thoughtlessness of his conduct; and if you have more than one companion you will fall more deeply into the same plight."

Anyway, here's wishing you all a Happy New Year. xxx
    Happy New Year Pea Brain

Happy New Year everyone

Happy New Year everyone!

I had my first vegan Christmas too - just took my own noms round to my parents' place. Aaaand the vegan Christmas pudding from Lidl was delish - we all shared that.

My parents have been awesome: I want to pay tribute here to both them and my BF for being generous, accommodating and selfless. My mum's comment this week was priceless - 'If it can look over a farm gate, she doesn't eat it. Including the farmer.'

Couldn't be happier or healthier! Wishing the same to everyone on the forum.

xxx

It's so nice to hear of so many vegan Christmasses!

A very Happy Vegan New Year to everyone on the forum.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Glad to hear your 1st vegan Christmas went so well!. I had my 1st vegan Christmas also. My son is vegan, but my husband insists on meat. I made stuffed acorn squash, and it was delicious and very festive looking, because I stuffed it with a wild rice blend, chopped red peppers and baby spinach so it was a pretty red and green. I also made a mock New England "clam" chowder, substituting Coconut milk for milk, and mushrooms for clams. My husband didn't even notice the substitutions - or was just being polite. We got weird food presents from friends who either didn't know, or didn't get it: egg nog; cannoli cake, struffoli cake. I regifted the egg nog, dumped the struffoli, and my husband is eating the cannoli cake. Anaj

Ooooohhhh Anaj that acorn squash sounds delish! Give us the recipe! *flutters eyelashes* Pretty pleeease.

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks to Sandra, and congrats to Blackpool. Happy New Year! xxx

Although I have been vegan for several years and have had my own vegan Christmas food, this year will be the first year (our Christmas is going to be tomorrow since we couldn't get together over Christmas) that my entire family will be eating vegan. My Mom went vegan in April and my sister went vegan in June. We had a vegan Thanksgiving too. My husband is not vegan but he will eat an all vegan meal at these get togethers. We visit his family too and none of them are remotely vegan so he gets his own food at those while I bring all my own food. So it's a trade off.
    My sister is especially doing remarkably well. She lost 45 lbs since June and she looks fantastic. I remember a thread somewhere here about mental illness and veganism and I was skeptical, but my sister, who has paranoid schizophrenia, is much calmer and less angry now than she has been in years. There really has to be something to this. She is also learning to cook, a major feat for her, and she even brought a very nice lentil dish to the Thanksgiving dinner. I am so proud of her!

I'm also happy for all of you celebrating vegan holidays! This is great news!

This is the recipe for stuffed acorn squash. My sincere apologies to the person who created it on the web I would give you credit, but I don't remember who it was. It was surprisingly easy to make. I changed it a bit because I am a spice wimp, and the original included hot spices; feel free to put hot spice back in if you like it.

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Wild Rice Medley

Ingredients

Acorn Squash
    3 acorn squashes, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
    1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, divided
    sea salt

Wild Rice Medley
    1 cup brown / wild rice medley uncooked
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 small red bell pepper, diced
    small onion or shallot, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups mushrooms, sliced
    2 large handfuls greens ( kale - baby chard - baby spinach) I used spinach
    1 cup cooked white beans – Navy, cannelloni,
    1 tablespoon thyme
    sea salt and cracked pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a oven proof sauce pan, fill half way with water and place on the bottom rack (this will give a little steam to your squash). Cut and seed your squash, place on baking sheet with cut side up. Season each squash with about 1/4 teaspoon thyme along with a few twists of the sea salt grinder. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until tender...knife should easily slide into the flesh.

Cook your rice according to package. Wild rice will take about the same time as the squash to cook, about 40-45 min. (Quinoa would be great too and add even more protein per serving.)

Once the squash and rice are cooked, set aside to cool and begin with the vegetables.

In large wok or saute pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bell peppers, saute for about three minutes. Add mushrooms, beans, one tablespoon thyme, red pepper flakes, a few twists of salt and pepper, cook for another three minutes. Add leafy greens, stir frequently until they are wilted (you may also want to use a cover in between stirring to help soften the greens). Combine rice and sautéed vegetables in the larger of the two pots. Taste for seasoning adding additional salt and pepper as needed.

Scoop mixture into each acorn squash half and serve with any additional seasonings.

Serves 6. Half a squash is a large serving.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    Although I have been vegan for several years and have had my own vegan Christmas food, this year will be the first year (our Christmas is going to be tomorrow since we couldn't get together over Christmas) that my entire family will be eating vegan. My Mom went vegan in April and my sister went vegan in June. We had a vegan Thanksgiving too. My husband is not vegan but he will eat an all vegan meal at these get togethers. We visit his family too and none of them are remotely vegan so he gets his own food at those while I bring all my own food. So it's a trade off.
    My sister is especially doing remarkably well. She lost 45 lbs since June and she looks fantastic. I remember a thread somewhere here about mental illness and veganism and I was skeptical, but my sister, who has paranoid schizophrenia, is much calmer and less angry now than she has been in years. There really has to be something to this. She is also learning to cook, a major feat for her, and she even brought a very nice lentil dish to the Thanksgiving dinner. I am so proud of her!

I'm also happy for all of you celebrating vegan holidays! This is great news!
    Robinwomb what a lovely sounding Christmas! Also with regard to your sister, although I'm not Schizophrenic/don't suffer a mental illness of this kind, I did have some anger issues and I've noticed a marked decrease in my intolerance levels and irritability too.

Anaj, thank you for that!!! I will most certainly be trying that out soon.

Not currently a vegan

Nice to hear most of you had a lovely calm Christmas; I didn't go fully vegan until the day after (although I have been dairy free for 10 years, and was veggy before that). I had got to the stage where I was getting tearful when next to a lorry full of farm animals - poor piggy's looking out of the crates... not nice.

My OH doesn't think he can go vegan although he hates the cruelty but he has agreed to tasting each dish I prepare and saying yes or no to eating it with me the next time - so there is hope. If I can get enough recipes he will eat, he would eat vegan at home with me at least.... He doesn't eat cheese (allergic) and drinks the Alpro Light with me anyway I don't think I could wean him off his butter though.... but hopefully I can get him to eat less animals through this also.

Sounds like a good plan. At least he's understanding of the situation and open minded.

friendly fri

Quote Anouk View Post
    Nice to hear about all the positive experiences. For me, the holidays are always tricky. Not because I'd crave things (I don't), but because there's never a completely vegan menu, so I really struggle with trying to ignore pieces of flesh on the table. And to make it harder still, it usually doesn't stop there - as it is with special occasions, people tend to prepare something ''special'', so you are very likely to hear all about the kinds and parts of animals used and the whole preparation process. Which makes it so damn difficult being joyful or even not teary when you see the cute playful reindeer on the holiday table cloth beneath the deer roast.

How do you deal with it? I study abroad so I'm mostly only home a couple of times a year (usually holidays), so it's a family event and I cannot just excuse myself. I don't want to offend anyone by leaving, but staying (and eating after having lost your appetite) is also not easiest :/ (that's also why I tend to lose and not gain weight during X-mas).
    I find it disgusting to see my brother in law funnelling half a turkey into his face and mumbling about he hopes not to offend the vegetarians, there is a word..starts with a w........
    :D :)

Quote friend View Post
    I find it disgusting to see my brother in law funnelling half a turkey into his face and mumbling about he hopes not to offend the vegetarians, there is a word..starts with a w........
    lol!

Know exactly how you feel there, Freind

LOL... Agreed. I hate it when people whinge about their guilt whilst actually doing the thing they say made them feel guilty.

Either eat it and shut the heck up, or if you actually give a flying f*** about offending anyone, have a go at a nice nutroast instead.

I suppose if they actually feel guilty they might get around to doing something about it eventually - but some of them just feel embarrassed about eating meat in front of people who don't, I suspect.

Still, that could at least mean they understand there is a principle behind non-meat-eating rather than thinking it's a personal foible, as some do.

Quote Peabrain View Post
    LOL... Agreed. I hate it when people whinge about their guilt whilst actually doing the thing they say made them feel guilty.

Either eat it and shut the heck up, or if you actually give a flying f*** about offending anyone, have a go at a nice nutroast instead.
    Bit like attempting to burp the national anthem in a restuarant, apologising to anyone who finds burping offensive, then attempting to burp it again?

Quote Peabrain View Post

never ceases to amaze me the number of people who say "i actually eat very little meat" when they discover i am vegan, like they are embarrased by their consumption.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Ah yes, the lesser spotted I-only-eat-meat-once-in-a-while-atarian. LOL...

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Ah yes, the lesser spotted I-only-eat-meat-once-in-a-while-atarian. LOL...
    You familiar with the 'Defensive Ominvore Bingo' card PB? If not then look it up!

Not entirely related, but I found this quote whilst Googling earlier too ...

“Vegans and vegetarians act so superior to others,” they said.

“We’re above animals in the food chain, and they were put on this world for us to eat, so we’re supposed to eat them,” they said.

How linger fickin' bang on the nail is that???

Haha! Yes, the bingo is hilarious! I went into a cosmetics shop (no food in sight), and asked if they knew if any of their hair dyes were vegan, was then told by shop assistant, who i didn't say anything to about what i thought of her habits... "I'm totally against animal testing, but I love my bacon too much"... I asked again if there were any non-animal-tested dyes in shop. She didn't have a clue which did or didn't.

As for us having superiority complexes... Well, takes one to (wrongly) know one doesn't it?

Excuse the re-edits all over the place, this bug has my mind all foggy... Where's that sofa and nice fluffy (pretend fluff might I add) cushion? *sniff hack*

friendly fri

Quote tickled onion View Post
    never ceases to amaze me the number of people who say "i actually eat very little meat" when they discover i am vegan, like they are embarrased by their consumption.
    Most at work will say that to me.
    :D :)

Quote tickled onion View Post
    Same here tickled..

They even go to the lengths of announcing when they have a 'meat free' sandwich in their lunch box and proudly display a cheese or egg sandwich to prove it. One work mate even 'confesses' when she is eating a meat sandwich and apologies to me that she is doing so!

haha, they are all so predictable! when displaying their non meat dairy infested sandwich do they also say "you would be so proud of me"? I always want to reply "why would i be, you'll be back to eating the dead flesh someone slaughtered for you by dinner time, i usually just ask how they'll manage without the protein though, the look on their faces sometimes is priceless..

i do always make sure they know they dont need the protein after though, wouldn't want to perpetuate the old protein myth!!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix