Thread: Food ruts

Rocket Queen

Default Food ruts

I have ALWAYS been like this. I get into food 'ruts'-i.e I'll eat the same things or variations of the same things for ages.... Eventually I get fed up and/or ill, and cannot remember what I ate before the rut so get stuck for what to eat!

Most recently, I've been eating loads of tortilla wraps with various fillings..Beans/Soy mince/salad/roast veg/tomato sauces......Often until I'm too full, and this weekend I did this far too much and at work I was too bloated and by the time I felt like eating again I was sick with hunger and have had stomach aches ever since!

Its a bit difficult for me as I work 10pm until 4 am without a break , sometimes manage a bag of rice cakes in that time but nothing else.. So I try to get full before work otherwise my blood sugar crashes (I have dodgy blood sugar anyway) and I get sick feelings. But if I get TOO full, I am suffering the opposite effects!

I never want to see a tortilla wrap ever again!Lol
    The last time this happened it was eating loads of dips and chips, like loads of them until I was full off them, and loads of carrots...Since then Ive hardly touched a carrot lol!
    Am I the only one who does this?!
    Any random suggestions on what I can eat for now until I'm over the trauma?
    lol sorry for randomness.
    '
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Lightbulb Re: Food ruts

One times ate peanut butter so much, that the smell of it made me slightly nauseous for months (and I like peanut butter!).

I tend to go through "food phases," where I only want to eat the same dish for almost every meal until I get sick of it (though now that I'm with my fiancé, we both share the cooking so I don't get into it that extreme anymore- he's always telling me to stop eating the same thing unless I want to get sick of it )

Food suggestions:
    • Rice with vegetables and beans or tofu, prepared however you want (I make many different styles of this: Indian, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, Greek)
    • Couscous (I usually make it with garlic, onions, tomato, & Italian Spices, but like with rice you can really do whatever you want with it)
    • Pasta (I make it like spaghetti with spinnach or eggplant, or with teriyaki sauce like a stir fry with Asian vegetables- you can even do a Thai peanut sauce)
    • Homemade Falafel with hummus, tahini, & lettuce on pita bread (I also add a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar)
    • Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (I often substitute peanut butter with other nut butters- Seasame Seed Butter is my favorite- and I always use jelly sweetened with fruit and whole wheat or whole grain bread)- one of my roommates from college used to grill PB & J- it's really good like that!

Aso, check out the blogs and cookbooks of these Chefs:
    • Chef Chloe - I love her "Avocado Pesto Pasta" and "Vegan Mac 'N' Cheese"
    • Happy Herbivore - and "Black Bean Burgers" and "Quiche With Greens"

If you get one of thse thermal food containers that keeps food hot, you could pack up leftovers of whatever you cook and bring the rest to work

Rocket Queen

Default Re: Food ruts

Thanks-I feel a bit better that It's not just me! I like your suggestions and will definitely check those links out. I can see myself getting addicted to Falafel next. That's a premonition!

Work's hard for me, I get so close to people and I am so active, I couldn't have anything that people could scent on me or that could get messed on my work outfits or anything ..I usually take crisp-type things because you can't smell them on me and they're easy to eat.... I might try making some cereal bars instead...

Assuming you can drink during working, have you thought about taking some home made juice or a smoothie to keep you going at work? if you can snatch tidbits whilst working dates or grapes are good pocket foods to keep you going.

Meals containing complex carbs will give you plenty of slow release energy before you go to work, so wholegrains, brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

As for getting into eating ruts, you could try planning a weekly menu in advance and only buying the food you need for that menu
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Rocket Queen

I may try that with smoothies-do you think it would work? Given that my blood sugar drops so fast and if I begin to feel sick, smoothies may be too harsh on my stomach ? Ive considered it before. It may be worth a try!

Hi Festered, what about making Full meal muffins? http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com.es/2...ffins.html?m=1

I'd say they'd be a good on-the-go snack for you. I used to make them alot, they're really good and full of added nutrition.
    Houmous atá ann!

start off with just very plain smoothies and see how it goes, just a few bananas blended with enough water to make it liquid enough to drink, i put 7 or 8 bananas in 1 litre of water but you could do half of that.

The muffins Blueberries posted look good too, and have cinammon in them, which is now thought to be a very good blood sugar regulator so well worth a try
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

try some dried fruit or trail mix at work to snack on if you can

Yes, picking at (for example) a couple nuts and and a date as prudence suggests, really keeps blood sugar even! I have traveled with border-diabetes friends and it makes a world of difference. A bit every hour or so.

As for your obsessive compulsive food choices, join the club
    I play the menu elimination game: countdown on the starches ie ate sandwich so no more wheat until potato and rice and corn and quinoa. Go thru the colors everyday too. This doesn't mean you couldn't do say a curry phase but lots of variety within those limits. Oh, and tomato sauce only once or twice a week really makes me stretch my imagination.
    Last edited by pat sommer; Jan 11th, 2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair