Thread: Help me get enough calories!

CRT

Default Help me get enough calories!

Recently I've been getting hungry and tired through much of the day. I suspect it's because I'm not eating enough so I'd like some suggestions on what to add during the day please.

I'm 6' tall, male, and I get a fair amount of exercise (walk at least 1hr 30min a day, and run around 12 miles a week, plus some other exercise - pull ups, push ups etc but not a huge amount).

I've never counted calories before I think it's safe to say that I get less than before I switched to a vegan diet. It also seems probable that a lack of calories are the cause of my tiredness.

Here is what I ate yesterday, it should be a fairly typical day for me calorie-wise. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to add? I'll probably be needing more than 2000 really, but 2000 would be a start.

Default Re: Help me get enough calories!

Quote CRT View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to add?
    Get some falafels and avocado in those pitta.

Really not sure what to suggest other than that, you say you need to eat more, so just eat more!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hello - yes you could scale everything up but also maybe add a few things, especially (unsalted) nuts which are calorie-dense but healthily so - you could have those with salads or porridge and also as a between-meals snack (maybe together with some fruit). How about adding some beans or tofu to your evening meal to make that more satisfying?

If you feel tired but aren't losing weight it could be to do with the glyc(a)emic load of your meals so you might want to look that up if you haven't already.

Hi
    You could try upping the amount of porridge that you have (say 60 grams instead), you could also stick a dollop of peanut/but butter into it along with a banana, add soya/rice/almond yoghurt's/desserts into your lunch and try snacking between meals.
    You could add tofu/tempeh/seitan into the curry which would definitely increase the calorie content.

Have you thought about liquid calories? Fruit juices, soya/rice/almond lattes/hot chocolates would also increase calorie intake

Quote CRT View Post
    Recently I've been getting hungry and tired through much of the day. I suspect it's because I'm not eating enough so I'd like some suggestions on what to add during the day please.

I'm 6' tall, male, and I get a fair amount of exercise (walk at least 1hr 30min a day, and run around 12 miles a week, plus some other exercise - pull ups, push ups etc but not a huge amount).

I've never counted calories before I think it's safe to say that I get less than before I switched to a vegan diet. It also seems probable that a lack of calories are the cause of my tiredness.

Here is what I ate yesterday, it should be a fairly typical day for me calorie-wise. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to add? I'll probably be needing more than 2000 really, but 2000 would be a start.
    Hi CRT, welcome! This is a pretty common problem, not just with vegans, although veg are naturally lower in calories. People think that they have to only eat 3 large meals a day, I find that snacking is better for your energy levels and also you get a better variety of food. Looking at what you eat it seems very little for a man of your height or activity level. I see that you eat bread and grains but you should eat more calorie-dense food such as nuts, oils and avocados. Use them as sauces or garnishes on what you already eat.
    Houmous atá ann!

I would not suggest eating more fat in order to increase calories.

Why not? Pick up some good books on nutrition, e.g. Dr. joel Fuhrman's "Eat to live".

What about fresh fruit? Apples, pears, bananas, whatever! Healthy food, nourishing and good for you. Have you ever tried green smoothies (putting lots of fruit, water and some greens in a blender and giving it a good whirl)?

I'd rather try that than eating more fat.

Best regards,
    Andy

I would, fat is tasty.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    I would, fat is tasty.
    Yeah, that's the problem! (sigh)

Best regards,
    Andy

I would personally look at adding nuts, snacks, other caloric beverages, heartier breakfasts like granola, and some higher-protein food at dinner.

trail mix or some dried fruit, dried papaya spears are so sweet, I'm surprised you don't eat peanutbutter or more nuts in your diet because I love peanutbutter myself

Quote CRT View Post

Add some BEANS to your diet plan. Beans are a superior form of carbs and they digest S-L-O-W-L-Y so you feel fuller longer.

Healthy trails!

Helyn's Healthy Kitchen

If you added one ounce of mixed nuts (28g) to your breakfast porridge and 100g of tofu to your eating plan as you proposed you would effectively add an extra 200 calories. If you're looking to gain weight or muscle, you could also consider investing in some kind of vegan protein powder with your early morning soy milk which would probably add another 100 calories. You could make fruit smoothie which, depending on size can be anywhere between 80-160 calories extra.

Legumes, grains, nuts, breads. I'd stick with wholemeal as that is my preference, however these are all high calorie based foods and there are many variants of them. A wholemeal bagel with peanut butter or whichever nut butter you want to eat can easily add 300-400 calories depending on the amount of peanut butter/size of the bagel. Just read up a little and add whatever you feel is necessary to add, it's quite easy! Good luck!