Thread: Veg burgers

Default Veg burgers

M45 Posted: Apr 2 2004, 04:07 PM

I tried some Veg Burgers for the first time and thought they were pretty good...But after I ate my first burger, I soon found out that it contained eggs . Garden Burger says they're "100% Vegan". Is this true? Are they any good?

Thanks
    -m45

mattd Posted: Apr 2 2004, 04:50 PM

*link deleted due to not working*
    Last edited by tricia; Apr 26th, 2004 at 11:23 PM.

I can't access that link.

Some gardenburger flavours are not vegan (found out AFTER I bought a box of portabello flavoured... grrrr).

Here's a listing of what's vegan and what's not in the gardenburger world. http://www.gardenburger.com/products/index.html

i bet u cant since the site was hit with that virus.... i will delete the link so no one else gets disapppointed...
    Vegan-pagan-homeschooling momma to Khaila (5) and felines Gamma (3) and Mickey (3 mnths) and new foster cat Holly (2)

Thumbs up

I like Amy's Texas Burgers. They are vegan, made with organic veges and grains.

I made burgers with them a couple of weeks ago with relish, sliced beets, bread & butter peppers, toffuti cheese, lettuce and tomato (and the bun of course!). Yum!!

Eww, I can't tolerate Gardenburgers unless they're burnt and smothered in ketchup and pickles. My personal preference runs to Boca burgers. The "original"/plain version is specifically labelled on the front as vegan (I only have the grilled veggie version here, so I can't verify against the ingredients label), and prepared properly they really are very good. I've even found 8oz versions in restaurants before. If you just poke around different grocery stores long enough you can find some great vegan soy/portabello based burgers.

...Unfortunately, I just checked the label on my box of the grilled vegetable Boca, and it contains dairy. *sigh* Best variety, too. Though all they'd have to do is nix the asiago and mozzarella that comprise "less than 2%" of the ingredients, so maybe some comments to the company might help to fix that. You really have to be careful with this stuff sometimes; I've noticed that many vegetarian hot dogs and sausages contain egg whites.

the plain variety of boca burgers are vegan but... they have hydrolyzed veggie proteins in them which contain msg--no wonder they taste so good!

i adore garden burgers! i like them because they taste like vegetables and such. kiva- thanks for that link! i just found out my favorite gardenburgers (veggie medly) are vegan, which means i can buy them again. i just assumed they had cheese in them and stopped gettingt hem after i made the switch.

dont think gardenburgers are available in the uk...

....any recommendations for veg burgers available in UK guys??

Quote cedarblue
    dont think gardenburgers are available in the uk...

....any recommendations for veg burgers available in UK guys??
    If you're not BBQing, I'd try that 'burgamix' stuff, you add water to it, make it into burger shapes and fry 'em up. Two of those fellas make a pretty substantial meal.

Mmmm mustard

I kinda prefer nature's burger, the boxed kind made by fantastic food. i like the taste better than any other store bought veggie burger, and because it's a mix you can make your burger as big as you want. slap a little veganaise, ketchup, onion, tomato, and maybe a slice of soy cheese and you've just reached enlightenment

Quote Cloudy
    If you're not BBQing, I'd try that 'burgamix' stuff, you add water to it, make it into burger shapes and fry 'em up. Two of those fellas make a pretty substantial meal.

Mmmm mustard

just realised i have a couple of packets of realeat 'vege banger' mix, anyone tried that? says you need 1 egg and some oil but can be made with the egg or oil and water only. will get it a go. still want an excellent frozen one to keep in freezer for 'emergencies' tho.

mmmmm french's mustard

I'm looking for a burger recipe. I've tried to make some soya & bean burgers but .... .... can't say they were yumm-o.

I'm looking for something nice and firm like the "real thing".

anyone ever had something like that?