Thread: Thai Veg Buffet Restaurant Meatless Meat

Default Thai Veg Buffet Restaurant Meatless Meat

Hi all

I am very new to this forum and very new to being a vegan - although have been a vegetarian for many years.

I used to go to a restaurant called Veg or Thai Veg. They are based in Angel Islington and have other branches elsewhere in London, although not sure if anywhere else in the UK.

I want to know if one can buy the 'meat' that they have in their dishes from somewhere?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Thai Veg Buffet Restaurant Meatless Meat

I'm not sure where to get the same meat replacement products that they use, but I really like Redwood's mock duck - which you can find in Holland & Barrett and other healthfood stores. Otherwise maybe try chinese supermarkets which often sell mock meats. Our local one has 'chicken' satay skewers and other fun faux-meat products!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Quote jahina View Post
    I want to know if one can buy the 'meat' that they have in their dishes from somewhere?
    Quite likely from here: http://www.veggie-world.com/OnlineShop

Welcome to the forum, Jahina, btw
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Quite likely from here: http://www.veggie-world.com/OnlineShop

Welcome to the forum, Jahina, btw
    Ooh, thankyou for the link! I remember those faux prawns, they're so funny!

Not sure if it's what you've had Jahina but in those sorts of buffet restaurants (the cheap ones that I've been to anyway!) I think they use quite a lot of TVP so you could try that - it's available in Holland and Barrett and so on. You might have to experiment a bit with sauces etc to get the same effect.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Ooh, thankyou for the link!
    You'se most welcome

I remember those faux prawns, they're so funny!
    Yes, yes they are.

The faux lobster (made myself a very respectable lobster thermidor over xmas with one of they) is outright hilarious though!

Ahhh, prawns. Tbh, I'm wondering how much I would like this food. We had the Redwoods Smoked Salmon, can't say it was a very pleasurable experience. But the prawns in Thai restaurants went down rather well with some of the family. Thanks for the link, I've been looking back through old posts looking for that one.

Hi, thanks all for your suggestions. I popped into Holland and Barrets and picked up a few faux meat products there and made a very nice rice stir fry last night which was delish.

Maybe going Vegan isn't all that hard after all! Serves me right for listening to the myths and not making up my own mind!

It really isn't hard, is it?

Glad you had a nice meal, it's fun to experiment with new things isn't it, although I must admit I haven't been hugely keen on any of the faux meat I've had. I do like tofu though - do you? I'm not sure the buffet places have it as much, perhaps because it's more expensive.

Quote jahina View Post
    Hi, thanks all for your suggestions. I popped into Holland and Barrets and picked up a few faux meat products there and made a very nice rice stir fry last night which was delish.

Maybe going Vegan isn't all that hard after all! Serves me right for listening to the myths and not making up my own mind!
    Glad you're enjoying it so far! I personally keep faux-meat to a minimum - I like soya mince to make spag bol, and Redwood chicken pieces and duck pieces for certain dishes - but generally I like to use vegetables as much as possible

Quote jahina View Post
    Not only not hard but an open door to a world of wonderful 'new' things too, Jahina, I think you will find/are already finding?.

For the sake of chit-chat and with apologies to those who have read my regular self indulgent ramblings many times before ..

It was the quest to add more to my food experiences (aka pissed-off-bored with my standardish omni diet) that actualy turned me vegetarian. Looking to learn how to use new ingredients in different ways I lived entirely off of recipes from a vegetarian cook book for a month and accidentaly 'detoxed' myself of meat. Jeez! You can really taste that you are eating a corpse once your system is 'clean'.

Contamination of so many things with animal by-products (cheap because mainly dumped as waste) means constant diligence required when shopping and eating out. Personaly I reckon thats the hardest part.

Worth it though. Comes a time when omnis ask "Vegan? But, but ... but what on Earth can you eat?" and "a thousand things you have never heard of nor tasted the delights of and probably never will ..." is the first answer that springs to your mind.

Mind benefits too: Those who want to do wrong have to 'train' their brains to think wrongly in order to make wrong into right. Vegans are free from having to train their brains to think wrongly, if they want.

Quote jahina View Post
    My biggest downfall is that I hate cooking. But the meal I made with the faux meat was a stir fry which was really easy - and plenty left over for yesterday's lunch! So, now today, I am going to have to be a bit more inventive, but I did buy a Vegan cook book and there is a very nice sounding vegetable curry stew in there that I am going to try out today.
    Good for you. I don't like cooking either but once you get into the way of it you can do reasonable meals from scratch in a very short time, and if you make enough for two or more goes it certainly helps (really organised people make enough for several batches and freeze it but I'm afraid I'm not one of them!).

You know what - one of my favourite cookery books is Jamie's 30 minute meals - the recipes are really simple, taste awesome and you can always replace the meat with faux meat if you feel like it, or just leave it out.