Thread: I think I have flu

Default I think I have flu

I feel so ill it's unbelievable, I didn't take the flu vaccine (which I was offered this year as I was diagnosed with Asthma about 10 months ago - before I became Vegan); all because I was still undecided, partly for vegan reasons and partly because I assumed I wouldn't get it...

Now I genuinely feel absolutely awful - so I'm gonna phone the out of hours GP. If they offer me antivirals I will take them.

I just wanted to say to any newbies, don't take risks with your health like I stupidly have!

Wish me luck... :/

Default Re: I think I have flu!

Feeling a little better after paracetamol has gone done, but no dinner, and hours and hours on end of "toilet breaks" is exhausting. Hopefully I'll sleep tonight.

I hope you feel better soon. I, foolishly, didn't get a flue shot either.
    For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras

Peabrain I hope you get to feeling better! It sounds like you have more of a stomach virus than respiratory flu from talking about toilet breaks? Or am I misreading your post?

I have not gotten a flu shot for several years since being vegan. Every year I did get a flu shot I still got sick, but I have not gotten the flu for the past two years and my colds last a very short time compared to before. I used to get so congested when I consumed dairy. Even if I do get the flu I will not get a flu shot unless it becomes mandatory. Not just for vegan reasons but for the other chemicals in it. I used to feel awful for weeks after getting the shot. It's my personal choice but I wouldn't look down on anyone else for getting one if they felt they needed it.

Never had a flu shot in my life and never had flu since I went veg 24 years ago.

Experience may vary but as an omni I used to get flu much the same frequency/severity as everyone else.

Get well soon PB!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: I think I have flu

I've had the flu for ten days now and I still feel like murder. The doctor told me that my symptoms were so severe that if I wasn't in otherwise perfect health that he would have sent me to the hospital! I think it's the sickest I've ever been... I just started a new job too and I had to take the entire week off work. Unfortunately there's not much you can do Peabrain apart from resting and sitting it out.

Robinwomb - I had pretty bad diarrhea at the start of my illness and my doctor told me it was consistent with flu symptoms.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Thanks all... Obviously, I'm not saying everyone has to/should get a flu shot, but in my case, I think it may have been wise to at least go and talk about the pros & cons, instead of ignoring the letter...

Although I don't tend to get ill too often, this past year I have had a history of frequent and severe chest infection (the last one lasted over 2 months) which is what lead to the Asthma diagnosis, and although I've been vegan for a few months now, I'm sure my system needs a bit of time to recover from the effects of my previous diet (dairy especially)... But even then, that's on the assumption that dietary influence was the only risk factor, and even best vegan diet doesn't preclude a susceptibility to some illness, so what I was really trying to say was that I was annoyed with myself for not at the very least considering whether it might be helpful, and that I hoped others would take it into consideration (they don't offer the flu jab to everyone here, only those in high-risk groups); as yesterday and last night was so bad that I couldn't do anything AT ALL at one point, and my teenage son had to do the housework, feed the two little ones, before hubby came home and put them to bed.

Robin, I'm pretty sure it's flu. I promise, I'm not one of those people who says it's flu when they really mean something else. LOL....

I was unlucky enough to get swine flu several years ago (when it was an epidemic in the UK), and this is just like that... Sore throat, blocked up nose, sneezing, stuffy head, all over body aches (even my skin hurt), shivering one minute, then itchy and hot the next, mild fever, and of course, the "runs"... The only thing I'm missing is the coughing, but my chest feels a bit tight ATM...

I spoke to the out of hours medical centre and was told it may well be flu, but I said I wanted advice on self care as I couldn't possibly have gone out to see them, so they agreed and said to call back if I didn't feel any better soon... No-one mentioned the antivirals, and I think on second thoughts I'm glad about that!

I feel a bit better this morning, everything still hurts and my throat/nose are still bad, plus still have a throbbing head and a sore neck, but the toilet troubles and excruciating stomach pains seem to have stopped for now...

I genuinely was worried I might have to go to the hospital at some point, as I was feeling that bad. I've got three kids, and so I've caught bugs off them a few times, including adult Chicken Pox (which is like hell on earth), but this was something else!

Apart from the swine flu, I've never had flu before in my life either, even as an omni, I have always tended to recover quite quickly from any bugs I did catch, and even then, after cleaning up after several sick children, I can usually get away with avoiding catching it.

Anyway, just off to lie down again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry to hear you're also ill Barry. Here's wishing you well too... *hugs*

I didn't realize you could get diarrhea with the flu. Thanks for the clarification guys!

Neither did I until I got it. It's a nasty bugger! Off back yto sofa/...

Get well soon Peabrain, Barry and anyone else feeling poorly.

If it's any consolation there seems to be some doubt about how effective the jab is according to one doc in this article in today's paper http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...do?INTCMP=SRCH and also this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/fl...sts-claim.html

I don't seem to get as many colds etc in the c19 years since going vegan, and the ones I do get don't seem to last as long. Not sure whether I've had flu at all since being vegan. Wonder if it's to do with getting more vitamin C or something? But obviously, other things than diet affect the immune system. Anyway, mustn't tempt fate as obviously even vegans get ill sometimes.

I have Fibromyalgia and a couple of other issues I wont go into here, which do seem to affect my immunity poorly, but yes, it actually does make me a little bit vindicated to learn it may not have helped all that much. LOL...

Peebee,

hope you get well soon!

Best regards,
    Andy

Thanks Andy. Hugs. Sadly, the kids are all getting it now (although no-one as yet has it as severely as I did at first!) thank goodness!

Unfortunately I've ended up with a secondary chest infection, and just when I thought the diarrhoea had stopped, it started again. Going to the doctors today has completely knackered me out. Anyone got any good ideas for a good vegan energy boost - maybe a smoothie?

Oh no, poor you. I would probably have some porridge with nuts and things, if you've got any oats. A smoothie might be a bit fibrous if you've got the runs though you could filter it I suppose.

I prescribe pizza, and lots of it, stat.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote Barry View Post
    I prescribe pizza, and lots of it, stat.
    LOL... I was just about to say "I don't eat cheese" then I remembered I was talking to a vegan and you meant vegan pizza... I'm such a div!

I'm currently munching salted popcorn and raisins, with a big huge glass of apple&orange juice mixed together! I'll of course have to try all suggestions already made plus those still to be made... After all, I have to keep my strength up... *pats tummy*

Well apparently I have the FRICKIN FLU AGAIN! Gggrrrrrr! Although I now don't feel the "vegan defensiveness" about worrying non-vegans are blaming my diet as my omni hubby had it too (in fact I think it was HIM that gave it to me! LOL...)... Me and the kids have had it all week, but when i went to see the doc and she informed me (which i didn't know) that there's more than one strain much like colds and other viruses... She also said I apparanetly had it worst. I've had a fever for a week now! Dagnammit! I think I'm starting to recover now at least though, but I'm wiped out. *grumbles swear words under breath* Bah humbug!

Peabrain I am sorry you have the flu again! Arghh! I had the flu all the time I traveled to the ocean on my Spring break from school a few weeks ago (just can't get a break i guess). Though I did not get the flu shot, my husband did and he too got the same flu (before me). I think in our case though...he has advanced HIV and is now battling rheumatoid arthritis and taking meds that suppress his immune system so it made it easier for him to get sick. And I am very underweight right now and my immune system isn't in the best shape either so I doubt the flu shot would have made much difference but who knows. It seems every year these flu strains get worse. Scary. Take care of yourself and get some rest! I had a fever and chills for a week too. I am STILL dealing with congestion and chest issues three weeks later. You must have the same doosy I had.

That's bad luck Pb - hope it's gone soon xx