Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm finding it really hard to exist knowing i'm surrounded by idiots

Default Re: I'm finding it really hard to exist knowing i'm surrounded by idiots.

Quote LeafyLux View Post
    I wanna throw everyone's plate on the ground. I know it's extreme ..
    More 'mad' I would have said Leafy ..

Extreme is more like sitting down at peoples tables and casualy asking them stuff like:

1. Did the Chicken that had so unselfishly volunteered to be in their Kiev have a name and, if so, what was it?

2. What steps they had taken, when ordering, to ensure that <insert name of chicken here> had enjoyed a full, happy and cruelty free life?

3. What were it's last words when it died?

4. Did it leave any greiving family behind?

5. Apart from not having the relevant hunting permit was there actualy anything wrong with what the Washington Sniper did?

Personal experiences may vary but my personal experience is that asking such pertinent and relevant questions is a much faster way to get viewed as an extremist than is the smashing of plates.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: I'm finding it really hard to exist knowing i'm surrounded by idiots.

Wow. Thank you so much for the support, everyone! It really does make me feel better. I volunteer as much as I can. I work at a vegan bakery, and sometimes on the weekends I go out and pick up all of the trash along the street I walk to the store. It makes me happy to see the progress in my own little corner, but turning around and seeing the chaos that is larger than just myself is very daunting. It gives me hope looking at these forums that other people DO care and understand <3 Thank you~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Personal experiences may vary but my personal experience is that asking such pertinent and relevant questions is a much faster way to get viewed as an extremist than is the smashing of plates.
    I appreciate you going into detail and helping me by coming up with things to do if I were to actually step into the food court and take any action. If I ever did chose to, I will keep all of that in mind. I do feel, though, you've misunderstood me. When saying "extreme" it was not in reference to being a vegan extremist. I was using it much like its synonym word "excessive". As in, unneeded, too far, or more than necessary.

(you may have already noticed I referred to the environment in which I would make such actions as a "dreamland")

Smashing plates isn't something I would do. I've seen my parents break dishes in a "hissy" fit and it gains no one any kind of respect.

I do, though, really like your suggestions! Thank you!

Quote LeafyLux View Post
    I work at a vegan bakery
    You're so lucky, that must be amazing! I'd love to have a vegan job, especially one that involved cakes!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote LeafyLux View Post
    I appreciate you going into detail and helping me by coming up with things to do if I were to actually step into the food court and take any action. If I ever did chose to, I will keep all of that in mind.
    I would put all of that straight back out of mind if I were you Leafy!

Perverse SoH, I have. Was just after raising a

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    I would put all of that straight back out of mind if I were you Leafy!

Perverse SoH, I have. Was just after raising a
    Yep, Cupid is a naughty little monkey (or maybe a big ape?)...

Quote Peabrain View Post
    Yep, Cupid is a naughty little monkey (or maybe a big ape?)...
    As would be revealed by a CTC scan of the inside of my head ..

Possibly more like this ...

rakin' muck

Hey Leafylux, I actually love the idea of smashing people's plates in the food court. I wouldn't actually do it, but it's a funny thought. On my college campus, there is only fast food, and whenever I have to walk through the giant Wendy's I feel like I'm surrounded by zombies and I'm the only one who's really alive... We're entitled to our thoughts. I personally enjoy a fantasy in which I hop onto a Wendy's table and yell, "YOU GUYS ARE PUPPETS! YOU ARE LICKING CORPORATE AMERICA'S BUTTHOLE RIGHT NOW! AND YOU LIKE IT, YOU COME BACK FOR MORE EVERYDAY!" I would never do this, of course. But thinking about it is a good release

LOL @ Cupid and also at vegmonkey.

Quote vegmonkey View Post
    Hey Leafylux, I actually love the idea of smashing people's plates in the food court. I wouldn't actually do it, but it's a funny thought. On my college campus, there is only fast food, and whenever I have to walk through the giant Wendy's I feel like I'm surrounded by zombies and I'm the only one who's really alive... We're entitled to our thoughts. I personally enjoy a fantasy in which I hop onto a Wendy's table and yell, "YOU GUYS ARE PUPPETS! YOU ARE LICKING CORPORATE AMERICA'S BUTTHOLE RIGHT NOW! AND YOU LIKE IT, YOU COME BACK FOR MORE EVERYDAY!" I would never do this, of course. But thinking about it is a good release
    Hahaha. That's awesome!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    You're so lucky, that must be amazing! I'd love to have a vegan job, especially one that involved cakes!
    There is actually a book of stuff from the bakery! I'll message you the info :3

Glosoli, is your name a reference to Sigur Ros' wonderful Glosoli? My mom has Icelandic horses and I always try to convince her when a calf is born or when she buys a new one, that she would name it Glosoli.

I too can feel utterly miserable about the fact that so many animals are killed every second. I can literally sit and just acknowledge the fact that a myriad of animals are killed now, and now, and now. I tried to change perspective from just acknowledgement of the death to actually seeing possible solutions, and nowadays I spend a lot of time thinking of how I can change people in every possible way, wherever I am, may it be work or in my free time.

Quote glosoli View Post
    It is easy to be ignorant. It is so impossibly hard to be a happy person when you're aware of all the sick mistreatment of animals going on constantly.
    People who don't care how it gets to their plate, are everywhere. People who buy puppies from mills.
    Abuse animals. Wear them.
    Are fine with them being chained and milked until they die.
    Having their young taken from them and killed or eaten.

Why is this world so fucking sick?
    Please, just. Remind me how beautiful the world is.
    I'm so miserable.

I'm so horrible to have ever taken part in this. To have consumed any of it in my lifetime.
    I hate that I was a part of this for one minute. Eating them, taking their milk.

I hate that as a vegan, I have to explain myself. I hate that i'm the weird one.
    They're the weird ones.
    I can relate to this so much.
    I went through this type of depression when I first turned vegan, it's a very isolating feeling. I became very misanthropic. I don't have any vegetarian/ vegan friends. I don't understand why I can see 'the truth' and others don't seem to care. But when you do say 'well if you can watch this video and still eat meat, then I'll respect that'. But they get defensive because they know what they'll see will upset them. It's wilful ignorance because the truth is available to see.

I liken it to the matrix lol. We see true reality, and why has it happened to us? I do get jealous of how ignorant and happy others are, but then I know what I'm doing is right.

I try and apply Mindfulness to it. Build positive experiences and be mindful of how much we can actually do. When you are triggered, do some breathing exercises, center yourself. Just knowing that you are only one person, and we are up against a huge institution that most of the world doesn't care about.

I liken it to the matrix...
    Cupid Stunt will like that; one of the first things he said to me when I joined the forum was about the red/blue pill analogy...

I love what you said about mindfulness - it works with anything!

Yeah, Mindfulness is really good, helps me with a lot of things. And you can apply it to almost everything and life seems a bit better.

Some non-vegans literally do not care about anything or anyone, let alone animals. And no matter what we say you can't teach someone to have a conscience. Like with my family, they know plenty abut the meat industry thanks to me hehe. They still don't give a damn. My sister rides horses, eats meat, thinks I'm an idiot for being vegan. She also doesn't care about racism, war, poverty, the environment, whereas I'm always trying to live ethically and do my bit.

I turned veggie when I was 10 with no outside influence. I just thought eating meat was cruel. I have never lapsed, I just can't. I've thought about it a lot but I just get an image of an animal being slaughtered and that's enough to put me off. I don't know why I'm like this, or why others vegans are. Maybe we are more sensetive?

I like to 'do my bit' by making up nice vegan recipes, because I think that's what puts people off veganism.

There are some small positivies I guess.I do think in the UK, people are more aware of animal issues. And this horse meat scandal which shows the hypocracy people have towards meat (cows OK, horses GROSS), may make people think about where their meat comes from.

Might not fit here ... but ... being surrounded by idiots

I am participating in a workshop at my company this week, and the company cafeteria excelled at providing sandwiches. They proudly answered my colleague’s question who was organizing the atering whether they could also provide some vegan sandwiches for me with a resounding “YES!!! We only put margarine on our sandwiches, no butter”. Of course, on top of the margarine, they put either roast beef or cheese…

My colleague who had organized the catering was so proud of her achievement, and that she had thought of my special requirement, I was afraid to break her heart pointing out why I would not eat those … but she was reconciled when I told her that I am always prepared and have my salad with me every day…

Best regards,
    Andy

I feel as a vegan I can never be at peace living in this world. I lie awake at nights thinking of the plight of animals, even watching a cookery programme is like a horror movie now. I do have to try to think of the positive things in my life though so that I don't get completely despondent. I think of my two vegan children and my husband who was vegetarian but decided to give veganism a go for the first two months of this year. Well, the two months have passed and he is still vegan.................that makes me feel happy and gives me hope.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I get you on the cooking show thing, Sandra. I used to love watching Nigella, even though I couldn't eat half the stuff she made it was just entertaining and relaxing. And I would veggie-ise a lot of the stuff she makes.
    Now, I feel sick watching her. Everything she makes has a gallon of cream or cheese in it. And its just glutton, not like she needs to eat all this stuff.

It's weird how people can just eat what they like and not care. I get upset just seeing a bottle milk these days.

Supersized vs Superskinny makes me sick too. There is no need to eat that much processed meat and dairy, it's disgusting.
    Last edited by misosoup; Mar 13th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

I totally agree with you. I find it baffling how people can eat what they like and not care. I'm just so glad there are people like us vegans in this world, at least I know I'm not on my own.

p.s. I tried to send you a pm Misosoup but it wouldn't let me.

You can PM me now, I've turned pm on, dind't realise you had to do that.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    ...whether they could also provide some vegan sandwiches for me with a resounding “YES!!! We only put margarine on our sandwiches, no butter”. Of course, on top of the margarine, they put either roast beef or cheese…

My colleague who had organized the catering was so proud of her achievement...
    I hate those situations when someone thinks that they have gotten you something vegan but they haven't, it breaks my heart too! I just thank them for thinking of me and how much I appreciate it but that what they got me isn't vegan and that maybe someone else would like it
    Houmous atá ann!

That sounds like a good way of handling the situation Blueberries.
    I often wonder though what is so hard for non vegans to understand when dealing with vegan food. Just think is there something from an animal in this and if there is then it's not vegan. I know there are other 'hidden' things in food too (E numbers etc) but they seem to make mistakes with the obvious things like butter, coleslaw etc.
    I once stressed to a waiter that I wanted a salad with NO coleslaw as I was vegan....................along came the salad and lo and behold there was the coleslaw.

The Rakes

During a tour of the West Coast on honeymoon in 2001, we stayed in Vegas. We couldn't find any dedicated vegan eateries so, in desparation, tried a veggie place. I asked for a green salad with asolutely nothing derived from an animal included. The waitress brought it to our table and it looked perfect. I lifted a leaf to find an egg. I called the waitress back and said "this egg is from an animal. Did you think it was from an eggplant [US word for aubergine in case you didn't know]?". She smiled and said "you're so funny!". She then asked why I couldn't eat anything derived from an animal. I said it was because I was vegan. She said "Hey, I'm Vegan too" (meaning Las Vegan). As I stared into space, I nearly split in half and dropped to the floor, like Spongebob does. Thankfully, San Francisco had 2 vegan restaurants and was far more enlightened. I survived Vegas on an exciting diet of Lays ready salted crisps.

Quote VeganRake View Post
    She said "Hey, I'm Vegan too" (meaning Las Vegan).
    Oh dear!

(Jeez, our smileys are 'naff'?)

Quote VeganRake View Post
    As I stared into space, I nearly split in half and dropped to the floor, like Spongebob does.
    PMSL! Oh I can see it in my mind's eye right now...

The Rakes

I wish I could do it for real - I'd be doing it all the time.

Default Re: I'm finding it really hard to exist knowing i'm surrounded by idiots

^

Default Re: I'm finding it really hard to exist knowing i'm surrounded by idiots

I'm having one of those days today. Had a huge blowout with my parents. They claim to support my veganism but won't even admit to their friends why I don't eat meat or dairy.
    They get really angry with me if I bring up what happens. My father's excuse is 'well we've done it since the dawn of time' and 'what I eat is important to me' as if that's a good enough reason. It feels really isolating when someone puts you vs the rest of the world like that.
    How is it evern natural to forcibly impregnate a cow? And when I try and explain how unnatural animal produce has become, they don't want to hear.

It does make me depressed. It feels like my own problems are so insignificant compared to what animals go through. Even though my childhood was rough and I wound up with PTSD, at least I was able to talk about it as an adult, I have a voice. Animals can never have this.

Quote misosoup View Post
    My father's excuse is ... 'what I eat is important to me' ...
    That would be a fascinating argument to follow through on?

Indeed. But it is hard to win these kinds of arguments with omnis set in their ways.

And few people like to argue for the fun of it and the sake of arguing (me thinks, you might actually feel somehow at home in that elusive group of persons, Mr. CS, judging from your forum contributions ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote misosoup View Post
    'what I eat is important to me'
    This "argument" is quite common - didn't A Well Known TV Chef once say something like "Stop being vegan and just enjoy your food”? I guess an underlying idea is that it's easier for some people than others (e.g. the speaker) to go vegan because those people don't care what they eat

Sorry you're having a tough time misosoup but stick with it and your parents may pay more attention in time - and even if they don't, you know you're doing the right thing.

Thanks guys. Have you seen the film Powder? At one point in the film,the lead character who is telepathic finds a deer that's dying after being shot and he touches the deer and the hunter, and the hunter feels the pain of the dying deer. I really wish I could do that to omnis. Or transfer what I know in my head into theirs.

I do care what I eat in terms of health, but I don't see my health as more important than animals suffering. Every living being deserves to live a peaceful and pain free life.

I wouldn't say I'm a particularly caring person, I do give to charity, care about poverty and try to eat Fairtrade etc. But to me, that's just the decent thing to do. I really can't understand how people are so selfish.

This whole argument of it being natural and we've always done it. This may be true, but there are lots of things I find about humanity that stinks. Why do people always assume that humanity gets everything right?

My parents aren't nice people anyways, so I'm probably wasting my breath trying to teach them.

I also made the mistake of starting to watch Northern Exposure as it's supposed to be a feel good show. But every other episode they go hunting, I feel I'm being brainwashed by some pro-hunting organisation or something. I can't get into it, or the whole 'feel good' message it supposedly has.

Quote Andy_T View Post

And few people like to argue for the fun of it and the sake of arguing (me thinks, you might actually feel somehow at home in that elusive group of persons, Mr. CS, judging from your forum contributions ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy
    I just have an enquiring mind Andy

I'm sorry to hear misosoup, that your parents are being so unpleasant, but you're right, imo, it's probably only worth going so far with certain people. It's especially hard with relatives isn't it? At least they are not trying to "sneak" an omni attack on you and put meat in your food etc...

If they can't introduce you honestly, you can choose to do so yourself maybe? Like, "I choose not to eat animal products" (saying "choose empowers you), and then if you think they are defensive or they are being judgemental, you could say "I'll be happy to tell you more about it if you REALLY want to know, but not at dinner time", otherwise let's just get on with the day/evening/whatever you are doing. That's the way I do it, and people usually either ask sincerely, as they know I'm not on the attack and feel open, or the ones that are too scared/don't care, realise they will get the truth if they ask - so they just don't.

Talking of sneaking offensive food choices on people, I like to make a joke sometimes, and say "Don't worry, I won't do a vegan-sneak-attack, and make you eat peas (or whatever vegetable they usually eat) or even worse - potatos/pasta/rice/etc." They usually laugh when they realise they're eating vegan food already...

As for the show "Northern Exposure" I sort of know what you mean, I saw an ad on TV where KFC were using a "funny sketch" to show a girlfriend offering her boyfriend a tofu and mung bean surprise and him chomping into a spicy chicken leg instead... Oh how ever so funny - NOT.

I couldn't help thinking I felt almost attacked in my own home, and about the way the world at large puts out these stupid messages "meat is GOOD, milk is GOOD, dragging whatever futile use out of a dying animal for whatever pathetic reason is GOOOOD"... But then I thought about all the vegan shops, and festivals, and people, and forums like this, and Justin Timberlake's veganville skit last week, and how every time I see Alec Baldwin, or Michelle Pfieffer, or one of the Deschanel sisters, or Benjamin Zephaniah, or Common, or Erykh Badu, or any other vegan celebrity you'd like to mention, and most of all, a gentle sweet happy animal at a sanctuary, and I think we're going good, and we're not going anywhere...

Meat eaters who think they are victims and talk about how preachy vegans are just make me think wtf. We are surrounded by omni culture. I can't watch cooking shows, adverts, it all upsets me. I am bombarded with messages constantly. You don't realise it until you turn vegan how bad it is.

It also freaks me out when people say 'well 99% of the popultion agree with me'. Its a very scary and isolating feeling. And I point out that years ago that was the case with feminism, racism, most 'isms' started with a tiny minority. It's never OK to pull the 'majority rules' argument.

It does mess with my head. Like how are people so blind to so much suffering? It's like we've reached the underbelly of humanity or something and found this deep dark secret.

To play devil's advocate quite randomly here, I'd like to point out first of all that I completely agree. ^^Especially with your comment there, misosoup.

However, I think common reasoning from omni's and people who don't recycle, or buy local, or buy products that test on animals, etc. (Lots of things people do on a daily basis) is 1) Ignorance. and 2) Apathy. They might know, but they don't care, because everyone else is doing it and they feel powerless to stop it, so they just keep going with the flow of the other sheeple.

I don't understand how my mother doesn't watch the news. She literally doesn't hear about stuff going on in the world unless it comes up in a conversation with another person. Like, how can you keep yourself so sheltered? She says to me, "well it's upsetting, and if there is going to be ANYthing on there about ANY animals or dogs being abused, I have to just leave the room. I can't even watch it."

She eats meat.

Not a lot of meat, but she eats meat and dairy. Lots of people don't make the connection. Or they do, but because mainstream media has spent all this time and money making veg people look like nutrient deficient weirdos, changing just doesn't seem possible.

Free thinkers are rare. It's just a fact. I believe you have to be at least somewhat of a free thinker to go against the grain, go vegan and take responsibility for your actions and impact on this planet.

Hopefully I articulated myself ok..

Yeah, Astrid I don't get it.
    I find anything about animals just as upsetting as the next person, difference is I care enough to do something about it.

It's like with child abuse, people turn a blind eye. We're having this ongoing case in the UK right now where a prominent tv star, who is now dead, is one of the worst peadophiles we have had, and has abused hundreds of kids. So many people knew, even the police. It's like people cannot just 'go there' with it. Yes it's horiffic, but the innocents suffer. It's cowardly. Just think of those people who have to watch child abuse images to catch predators, must mess with their head, but they have to do it.

I've always been open to the worst of humanity, I cant stand people with 'Pollyanna syndrome'.

Polyanna syndrome.. had to google that one
    Well, terrible things happen so often, I guess people like my mother and similar people think it's just as simple as turning off the television to avoid thinking about it; perhaps that is the only way they know to cope with knowing bad things are constantly occuring... It's the only way they can live life, in ignorance and denial.

Besides, are we, as conscientious people, any better off being so acutely aware of all suffering? Personally I have struggled with the idea often; ignorance being bliss and what not. I've had to make a personal decision at some point to stop taking on the weight of the world. I have wrestled with depression for ten years now (I'm 24), feeling hopeless about humanity. I am not depressed anymore. I am a mostly happy person. .. Because even though I know that these terrible things are going on in the world, there is always hope for mass change.. Also, I can't be sad knowing I'm doing what I KNOW is right. I feel on track now, mentally and spiritually. I use my positive light and attitude as a guide to those who haven't found this lifestyle. I think it's important to be a happy, energetic, fun vegan, not a preachy gloomy vegan. It's so hard to not preach though!! People can be so freaking dumb about their eating and health and not even SEE the blatant connection between the two!

Do I still cry about stupid people sometimes? Of course. I've had my fair share of wine ridden, sarah mclachlan, tear driven nights.

But I don't let it get me down constantly. And believe me , I serve deep fried meat and noodles to people all night long at a chinese foods restaurant. I'm the epitome of "surrounded by idiots"

I literally have people say, "Oh can I have my order with No MSG?" and trying to be helpful, I say, "Can I do that for the whole bill?"
    Other person - "No. I WANT MSG. Otherwise it doesn't taste as good.

In summary, I think we all have to see that it's more important to inform others and definitely important to keep asking these questions to ourselves about how best to bring about change in the world. It's never easy swimming upstream.

Quote misosoup View Post
    I've always been open to the worst of humanity, I cant stand people with 'Pollyanna syndrome'.
    I had no idea what you were talking about, so I got this answer from reference.com:

' The name "Polyanna Syndrome" comes from a movie Disney Studios made in 1960 starring Haley Mills. The girl, Pollyanna, was optimistic in spite of any situation she faced, and as a result, brought love and light into the lives of those she touched. A person with a "Pollyanna" personality is excessively optimistic in spite of everything around them giving no reason for hope. The negative thoughts*and heavy burdens most people feel at times in their everyday life never touches the heart and mind of a person with "Pollyanna Syndrome" because they do not have it in their nature. They see a silver lining in every cloud and a pony burried under every pile of manure. Being around a perpetually positive person can cause frustration, as we know reality is not as kind as the Pollyanna sees it. Yet!! Even a raw deal will have some saving grace in the mind of our ever-positive, always cheerful friend.'
    Houmous atá ann!

I don't think it is "Polyanna syndrome", understanding that is about persons who find everything great and see a sliver lining.

I guess it is simple suppression (blanking out things that make you unhappy) - which I understand is actually a survival mechanism as it allows our brain to cope with the danger/problem/whatever that is at hand and avoid getting swamped with the realization of all the other things that are terrible (but most likely not acute at the current moment).

Best regards,
    Andy

Yeah, I think pollyanna syndrome is meant to refer to those who are so optimistic they are blind to any realistic understanding of the world, which can render them less useful because they won't face things that need changing... BUT! Being optimistic and realistically aware at the same time is possible... It's getting the balance between facing the badness in the world, and most importantly, acting on that, yet not allowing yourself to be so swamped that you end up hurting yourself (whether deliberately or unwittingly - physically or emotionally)... A depressed vegan isn't as useful (as one who has some degree of the ability to put a positive spin on things (as long as it's not to the exemption of facing truths that can lead to change).

Edit: That's not meant to be a criticism of any depressed person - I have dealt with it on and off since my teens (so 20 years now), but it can be crippling and painful and we can't help the animals as much when we're suffering very badly, never mind the pain we are in ourselves. It's good to deal with reality, but important to balance it with hope.

Quote Astrid660 View Post
    Besides, are we, as conscientious people, any better off being so acutely aware of all suffering?
    Definitely, yes. Awareness is mindfullness and the alternative is mindlessness.

To accutely feel the suffering is good also. It is that which provides the motivation to act.

Allowing suffering to overwhelm us is a completely different thing though. It is almost definitely that (being overwelmed by our own suffering or the suffering of others or both) that results in depression.

Yeah, you're right Peabrain. When I turned vegan I felt really depressed and overwhelmed. But I practice Mindfulness which helped a lot, I became Mindful of the things I could change. I've been told over and over that being vegan is pointless because it won't change anything. But I don't want to give any of my money to support suffering, that's how I view it.
    If everyone thought like that, nothing would change. It's about building positive experiences, putting a penny in the positive jar. Just the fact vegans exist is challenging, and it offers an alternative.

In Mindfulness they teach that avoiding suffering prolongs it, which is so true, but it also teaches you coping mechanisms and how to keep things at a distance.
    Last edited by misosoup; Mar 21st, 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Yes putting the penny in the jar... I went into Lush yesterday, and was informed that they are slowly phasing out as much of the vegetarian products and changing them to vegan ones as possible (currently they're working on the items that have lanolin in them in particular and testing out soy instead), it's so nice to see how at first the had some options that were vegan (only a few, and they were specially named vegan items), then more and more, then they started labelling them with the Vegan Society logo, and now they're the vast majority of items... I'd say that MUST be at least partly down to the purchasing of the vegan items (methinks the management must be comprised of quite a few vegans too - as they are teaching their employees what these ingredients are and why they're not acceptable to vegans).

^We have that store in a mall in a bigger city here in Northern BC. I can't wait to shop there next month when I go!

Also, speaking of more vegan products, I was happy when, the other day, I went shopping at safeway for like the first time since going Vegan. I prefer Save-on because they have much more organic and veg friendly products.. But safeway now had tempeh and a few other items that weren't there last year. That made me smile, knowing that there is more demand for those types of things !

Yeah, that's really good. It does make a difference. Vegetarian/ vegan items are more prominent these days. I can remember when I turned veggie 20 years ago the only things available were dry lentil burgers lol.

I just get overwhelmed sometimes, I'm new to this vegan thing. This is why I love Mindfulness because it helps keep a healthy distance from things, because if we let things get on top of us then we are no use to the causes we support.

Actually on another note, as an adoptee, today was a really big day for me and my fellow adoptees. Australia issues a formal apology for forced adoptions and say what happened was illegal, and I never in my lifetime thought I would see someone acknowledge it. It also happened in the UK, although I doubt we'll ever get an apology. But it has made me realise that campaigning can make a difference. And so I am feeling more positive today. It will at least raise awareness here and that's a step in the right direction.

Yep! We're getting more mainstream. We are! Thus, our message will too (obviously there are those who are just vegan for the health/diet issues, but they're not the majority).

But people who have a vegan diet for health reasons may catch onto the reasons people are vegan for ethical reasons. And they do help with the 'veganism is unhealthy' argument. I mean, Mike Tyson is vegan! And I think Usher recently turned vegan also.

PS... Miso that's great news, I know it must be especially empowering for you to have that validation (albeit not directly).... and yes, it does show the power of campaigning (whether that be petitioning, rallying, leafleting, or just voting with your feet and your money against big businesses' exploitation of animals).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote misosoup View Post
    And they do help with the 'veganism is unhealthy' argument
    Good point! :P

There is a lot of similarities I've found with people's reaction to the meat industry and adoption industry. They are shocked when they realise the truth about adoption. And I wonder 'Did they think that the women just happily gave up their babies and then the adoptees were fine with this and their new identities?' Like with meat, people have been brainwashed. But when they think about it really hard, they tend to be quite horrified at the reality of what goes on. Or they get defensive and agressive- like some meat eaters do. People don't want to know that such an institution like adoption can be that messed up.
    Also like with meat, when you apply terms like 'adoption' to something it takes away the true reality of what it is. Like meat has nice fancy names to cover up what it really is. Dead animals.
    So yeah, it was very validating. It's amazing how much power 'sorry' has. And I hope it helps my birth mother who is still traumatised, well we both are.
    And this is something I really never ever thought I would see. Even if it is in Australia it still applies to here, because it was the same policy Social Services were working with.

So yeah, it has been an important day. And has given me hope for veganism too. I think also, if people get angry it means a nerve has been hit. I am used to experiencing this with adoption reform, people can be really nasty. But if you perservere people will listen.

If I ever feel down about veganism, I just look at vegan bodybuilding websites lol. They really inspire me. Not that I would ever get into that, but it's cool to see that you can be vegan and be built like a brick****house haha

Yep. I love the vegan bodybuilders!