Thread: Soy yogurt – disappearing everywhere?

SR Guy

Default Soy yogurt – disappearing everywhere?

Hi. I am in Austin, Texas, home of Whole Foods. My problem is that Silk has suddenly stopped making its plain soy yogurt and, much to my amazement, other soy yogurt manufacturers have followed suit. The fruit soy yogurts have disappeared all over Austin, as well. I have consumed a half gallon of Silk plain soy yogurt every week for many years. My system relied on its probiotics for digestive health and balance. That system has now been thrown into chaos. I am struggling to get centered, again, by downing this probiotic capsule/powder and that one, but it's a tough row to hoe, let me tell you. I have made my own soy yogurt, but it takes time. I heard that the dairy industry successfully lobbied to make it illegal to use the word "yogurt" on any non-dairy product. Supposedly this went through at the end of last year. This makes sense to me since that is when all soy yogurts disappeared, down here. I have called manufacturers and have been told that they no longer are making soy yogurt. Further details are not given. WholeSoy still is available, at this point, but it is too sweet, for me. If what I heard is correct, I suppose it, too, will disappear, in time. Are any of you guys experiencing the same phenomenon? Do you have a favorite plain soy yogurt that is tart, not sweet? Where do you buy it? I'm anxious to find a tart, soy yogurt with the six probiotics that the Silk product contained. Wildwood has also just stopped making its plain soy yogurt. I spoke with them this morning. Any info you may have on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm not in the US so I can't offer you any advice brand-wise but I figure that you have 2 options. Either make your voice heard; ask every health food shop about it &write relentlessly to every company, or make your own. Or you can do both! Both are pretty easy to do
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Soy Yogurt-Disappearing Everywhere???

I looked on the Silk website and I can't even find the 32 oz or any plain soy yogurts listed, only the small size fruity ones along with other products. Although I like soy yogurt, my body does not do well with foods containing soy. I have hypothyroidism and soy products drive up my TSH. It has happened over and over. I cut out all soy for a while, was very strict with every label on everything, even herbal teas, checking to make sure there was no soy. I did well as far as thyroid issues but I felt I was missing out on some key nutrients so I added back in tempeh and bam again I have been sick with thyroid issues and finally had it checked out. Sure enough my TSH is too high again (meaning I am back on the hypothyroid side). So I have to sadly avoid soy yogurt and other products. But I LOVE coconut milk yogurt, specifically SoDelicious. My Whole Foods Coop carries it and they now have the plain flavor and in a two serving container. I also frequent another grocery store and they did not carry SoDelicious yogurt but I wrote the store and mentioned it and requested that they carry it and within a month they had it on the shelves!
    Have you asked the store, or higher up the chain, why they stopped carrying Silk? Where I live in northern Minnesota Silk products abound, more so than WholeSoy, including soy yogurts, and I have not had trouble finding any vegan friendly yogurt, although I may have to travel around to different stores for different ones. And non are too cheap.

SR Guy

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    (snip)
    Have you asked the store, or higher up the chain, why they stopped carrying Silk? Where I live in northern Minnesota Silk products abound, more so than WholeSoy, including soy yogurts, and I have not had trouble finding any vegan friendly yogurt, although I may have to travel around to different stores for different ones. And non are too cheap.
    The stores cannot get Silk soy yogurt because Silk stopped making it. If you are still seeing it in MN, that is because it has not run out, yet. The one vegan food I can't stand is anything with coconut in it, so that won't help me. Thanks for the info, though.

Weird. I'm in Canada and just found 2 brands of soy yogurt the other day. So Good and Nancy's. I must admit, it was my first time trying. I didn't like it...but then it was a "no can sugar added" brand. I like my sugar just fine, thankyouverymuch!
    http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--that's the vegan recipe blog I write. Mostly comfort food. Sometimes I get into a healthy mood though.

I haven't seen much soya yogurt here in Alabama recently, Either. It's still around just few and far between. It's mostly all coconut yogurt now, which I like, but I prefer my yogurt to have protein. I haven't seen the big containers in months. Have you looked into making your own? You can even buy yogurt makers now, though I don't know much about them and haven't tried making it myself, yet. but definitely look into. I know I am. That and artisan vegan cheese. It would be a lot cheaper, more customizable and Eco-friendly. I too have digestive issues so I feel your frustration. I used to eat soya yogurt once or twice a week and Garden Of Life vanilla probiotic protein powder daily. Since I ran out my stomach has been miserable! Good luck with your search.