Thread: Strange "gelatine" kind of stuff in beans....???

Default Strange "gelatine" kind of stuff in beans....???

I just opened a tin of Royal Crown "White Salad Beans" (from B+M) and was surprised to see that they were in a strange gelatine like, well, jelly.
    I've never had beans like that before so am a little concerned about them?
    The ingredients that are listed are :

white salad beans,
    water,
    salt,
    antioxidant (ascorbic acid).

Perhaps it's just some kind of chemical effect that causes the "jelly" like substance, and it's meant to be there to keep the beans fresh (it really looks very similar to the gelatine in a pork pie) - anyone have any ideas what it is, and if it's "fine"?

Thanks in advance,
    VampireJack....

Default Re: Strange "gelatine" kind of stuff in beans....???

I would think it was just the starch from the beans thickening up the water.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Wot Pob sed

Wot Harpy sed Pob sed.

Long since noticed that the salt water in tins of kidney beans gets kind of gelatanous too.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I would have been suspicious too, but since there's nothing nasty in the ingredients list, you're probably ok. If it says on the tin that it's suitable for vegetarians, then I'm sure it's fine.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Long since noticed that the salt water in tins of kidney beans gets kind of gelatanous too.
    I've also noticed it with aduki and flageolet beans (so maybe it's poncy beans that get it worst...). I googled the question and alternative theories seemed to be that it was protein or fibre that leached out into the water, but anyway it seems to be a byproduct of the canning process rather than anything nasty added.

Believe it or not I have a (vegan) friend in the canned food industry and he says the gelatinous stuff is 'starch, assuming you are referring to "dry soak" beans, meaning varieties canned from dried beans (eg kidney, black, garbanzo) rather than those canned from fresh (e.g. green, wax)'.

"White salad" beans seems a bit of a vague description botanically but I suppose it's quite likely they're produced from dried beans.

Quote harpy View Post
    Believe it or not I have a (vegan) friend in the canned food industry and he says the gelatinous stuff is 'starch, assuming you are referring to "dry soak" beans, meaning varieties canned from dried beans (eg kidney, black, garbanzo) rather than those canned from fresh (e.g. green, wax)'.

"White salad" beans seems a bit of a vague description botanically but I suppose it's quite likely they're produced from dried beans.

Makes sense. It's like I said though, I've never seen it before so was a little concerned.
    I "think" the beans are haricots.

Quote VampireJack View Post
    Makes sense. It's like I said though, I've never seen it before so was a little concerned.
    I "think" the beans are haricots.

UPDATE :

Well I emailed the manufacturers and it seems it's pretty normal :

Dear sir

Firstly please accept our sincere apologies for this regrettable incident. The reason the beans have a thicker viscosity than usual, is because starch has begun to leach out of the bean. Several factors can cause this to happen the first and foremost is that the product could have been soaked too long and begins to take on excessive water at the factory before processing begins. The beans take on too much water and this causes a reaction whereby the starch will begin to leach out of the product. The other factor is unlikely but can happen is that the beans have been overcooked and gone very soft causing the product to break down and have a similar consistency but more mushy.

There is nothing wrong with the product as regards consuming, a thorough wash will clean the product and then cooked in fresh clean water until ready to eat.

The product is acceptable for Vegan Diets.
    Dear sir

Firstly please accept our sincere apologies for this regrettable incident. The reason the beans have a thicker viscosity than usual, is because starch has begun to leach out of the bean. Several factors can cause this to happen the first and foremost is that the product could have been soaked too long and begins to take on excessive water at the factory before processing begins. The beans take on too much water and this causes a reaction whereby the starch will begin to leach out of the product. The other factor is unlikely but can happen is that the beans have been overcooked and gone very soft causing the product to break down and have a similar consistency but more mushy.

There is nothing wrong with the product as regards consuming, a thorough wash will clean the product and then cooked in fresh clean water until ready to eat.

The product is acceptable for Vegan Diets.

Firstly please accept our sincere apologies for this regrettable incident.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Heheh, it is a bit like that Risker. I thought that was quite normal for some kinds of beans!

Lol risker thank you for cheering up my morning!! I did think the email was rather over the top...Mind you, much better that way then no reply or a rude reply!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty