Thread: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner

Default Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner

I bought this book in December (and for some unknown reason was reading it Christmas morning whilst waiting for everyone else to wake), but have only just got round to using it (partly due to laziness and partly due to needing unusual ingredients and growing cultures). I've made the Boursin, Sharp Cheddar and Air Dried Emmentaler (currently air drying) and can't wait to start munching them.

Everything seems to have worked out well so far except the Cheddar which seems a bit weird, it could be due to the culture not working properly or my blender not making the nuts smooth enough. It still tastes good but has a weird texture, other than that the other 2 "Cheeses" look and smell perfect.

Does anyone else have this book/made anything from it?

I haven't gotten around to getting this book yet, but it does look intriguing and I will get it at some stage. Do all the recipes need special ingredients or is there some simple stuff for beginners/cash-strapped folk?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner

There are some more simple recipes such as the "Almost instant cheeses" that use yoghurt but I still think they need agar or carrageen.
    I am trying out different ones (aged/air dried) as I was considering opening a vegan shop (either online or real) if I lose my job and I thought cheese would be a good thing to sell.

Default Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner

Couple of photos as well:

2 of the Boursin:

Emmentaler as its Air Drying:

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I was considering opening a vegan shop (either online or real) if I lose my job and I thought cheese would be a good thing to sell.
    That would be very cool, FS! I might give the book a go, but I think I would have to get a good blender first, all I have at the moment is a hand/immersion blender as all my lovely appliances are at home in Ireland
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    all I have at the moment is a hand/immersion blender as all my lovely appliances are at home in Ireland
    Oddly enough I found my hand blender worked best, I used my big blender to blend a large batch of nuts for the Boursin & Cheddar and it didn't cope well, but I used the hand blender for the Emmentaler and it did really well (it may be due in part that the recipe used more liquid).

This looks really interesting, I might get the book soon. My mom bought some rennet recently as she makes ricotta (with cow's milk unfortunately) but the rennet she uses is vegan and she wants to try and make me some cheese. I doubt it'd work though as rennet and a vegan milk wouldn't curdle enough I'm guessing because of all the added water in the milk. Are all the recipes in the book using nuts?

The majority of them do use nuts, I will have a look if you want to see if there are any without?

I don't mind, I need to buy the book anyway (not want, need! Haha) :P