Thread: Non Soy Yoghurt?

Default Non Soy Yoghurt?

Well it seems that I am officially soy intolerant, which as you can imagine is a pain in the arse. In reality it's not "too" problematic as I can just switch to almond milk, but my real problem is that I'm quite the fan of yoghurt, and really don't want to give that up.
    Does anyone know of any vegan soyless yoghurt, that is pretty easy to get in the UK, or am I going to have to actually "put the effort in" and make my own?
    If the latter, where would the best place be to get a starter kit for the bacteria?
    Thanks in advance,
    VJ.

Default Re: Non Soy Yoghurt?

Holland and Barrett sell little pots of yoghurt made from pea protein, made by Redwood's in plain and fruit flavours, which are quite nice (they do taste very faintly of peas, though). The plain one is a little disappointing, though, in my opinion - I'd prefer it to be more acidic-tasting.

- - - Updated - - -

Holland and Barrett sell little pots of yoghurt made from pea protein, made by Redwood's in plain and fruit flavours, which are quite nice (they do taste very faintly of peas, though). The plain one is a little disappointing, though, in my opinion - I'd prefer it to be more acidic-tasting.
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Quote VampireJack View Post
    Well it seems that I am officially soy intolerant, which as you can imagine is a pain in the arse. In reality it's not "too" problematic as I can just switch to almond milk, but my real problem is that I'm quite the fan of yoghurt, and really don't want to give that up.
    Does anyone know of any vegan soyless yoghurt, that is pretty easy to get in the UK, or am I going to have to actually "put the effort in" and make my own?
    If the latter, where would the best place be to get a starter kit for the bacteria?
    Thanks in advance,
    VJ.
    I know it seems like a hassle but you could make your own yoghurt out of almond or coconut milk
    Houmous atá ann!

This is a rather expensive coconut yoghurt, you could buy a tub and then use it as a starter for your own youhurts

Sad to hear about your soy intolerance...

In Sweden we have a brand called Oatley which specializes in Oat based products. They have almost all of the equivalent products made by soy, including yoghurt, flavored aswell as natural. Their ice cream taste better than real ice cream according to my meat eating friends. Dunno if you have something similar in the UK though, but it does exist!

Edit:
    http://www.oatly.com/
    Get it to the UK if it's not there!
    Last edited by Leaf; Feb 19th, 2013 at 05:43 PM.

United Kingdom
    SHS Sales & Marketing Limited
    Manderson House, 5230 Valiant Court, Delta Way, Brockworth, Gloucester GL3 4FE
    Tel: +44 (0)1452 378 500

Go you anglosaxic vegan hero you!

Quote Leaf View Post

In Sweden we have a brand called Oatley which specializes in Oat based products. They have almost all of the equivalent products made by soy, including yoghurt, flavored aswell as natural. Their ice cream taste better than real ice cream according to my meat eating friends. Dunno if you have something similar in the UK though, but it does exist!

Edit:
    http://www.oatly.com/
    Get it to the UK if it's not there!
    Yup, we have Oatly over here - I have some of their oat milk and oat cream but haven't seen any yoghurt as of yet. Hopefully it'll be unleashed in the UK some time in the near future as it's killing me (not literally, thankfully!) that I can't have any yoghurt!

Maybe you could harass your local stores, VampireJack. I had thought of doing that with my closest supermarket which already has quite a few veggie options, but haven't as I can find them in other nearby places, but I have noticed an increase in veggie items since I moved here. Someone must have asked them for more stuff.

Quote Leaf View Post

In Sweden...Oatley...have almost all of the equivalent products made by soy, including yoghurt, flavored aswell as natural...ice cream
    Wow, Oatly yoghurt & ice-cream sond great! In Ireland and here in Spain I've only ever seen Oatly milk and cream
    Houmous atá ann!

Ah, so it's only a matter of selection within the brand. Push your stores, make sure they get the ice cream and different yoghurts! If they got the milk and cream, the rest should be no problem. Sign a petition or something haha. If you pick a store we can organize telephone calls to it. I can call and try to have a british or spanish accent (god I love the spanish one, I go around all days sometimes just speaking with a spanish accent), urging for Oatley's ice cream and yoghurt.

It would go something like this:

S(alesman): Yes hello welcome to Sainsbury Grimsbury, how can I help you?
    M(e): Yes hello! My name is Leafy McVegveg and I live in Grimsbury.
    S: Oh yeah? Where at?
    M: Umm... Oxford street?
    S: We don't have an Oxford street in Grimsbury...
    M: God damnit why are you being so nosy? I LIVE HERE OK?!
    S: Geez, ok, sorry!
    M: Anyways... I'm calling because I traveled to the lovely country of Sweden some time ago, and I saw that their selection of Oatley products was widely spread, moreso than over there... I mean here in the UK. So I would just like to urge you to buy more Oatley products, and if you want to get down to specifics, get the ice cream *starts with uncomfortable nom nom sounds over the line*
    S: Ehm... Yeah. I will definitely look into that, gottagonowthankyouforcallingkthxbye!

TADAA! We'll get it there in no time, TRUST ME!

I emailed Oatly UK to ask if they would be good enough to start selling their ice cream/yoghurts in the UK, this is their response:

Dear Mr Firestorm

Thank you for your recent enquiry through the Oatly website with regards their products. After speaking to the Brand Owner with regards your query, I can confirm that they have no plans at present to introduce their yoghurt and ice cream products into the UK market however they have passed your comments onto their Development and Marketing Teams for their information.

I trust the above is satisfactory and look forward to your continued and loyal consumer support of Oatly.

Yours sincerely

Andrea Surplus
    Quality Assurance Assistant
    SHS Sales & Marketing on behalf of Oatly

Now there just needs to be a bunch of people to e-mail/call Oatly UK demanding for the yogurts and ice creams. IMO, if a large amount of people demand those products, then they'd be stupid to make them unhappy. Maybe a petition?

They probably don't feel there's enough of a market there, so if you could show that they would sell well I can't see why they wouldn't bring it. Or maybe they don't want more money?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Dear Mr Firestorm
    I love the idea of that being your actual surname!
    Houmous atá ann!

What Cacique said. People always get the same response if there's just one. It's not like Oatley ice cream and yoghurt is impossible to get to the UK, it's just about demand.

I live in the U.S. so things might be a little different here, but I was able to lobby and get coconut milk yogurt (SoDelicious brand) into a store I frequent. I noticed they had other SoDelicious products so I figured it couldn't be that hard. I wrote the management and explained that I am vegan and also have trouble with soy due to a health issue (hypothyroidism) and mentioned the specific brand and type of yogurt I was hoping they would carry. I also made sure to tell them I have been a faithful customer there since 1998 and appreciate their efforts to include organic produce and alternative food sources (and I like that they keep the plant milks away from the regular dairy section so I don't have to walk down that aisle). I was very tactful. I received an email from management within a week and within a month their shelves were and still are stocked with coconut milk yogurt (for the record it is Cub Foods). Here is the U.S. a lot of grocery stores and chains have request forms on their websites if you are looking for something they do not currently carry. At the very least they could explain (with your asking) why they are not able to carry the product so it eases your mind instead of having you think all kinds of scenarios.

Quote Cacique View Post
    Now there just needs to be a bunch of people to e-mail/call Oatly UK demanding for the yogurts and ice creams. IMO, if a large amount of people demand those products, then they'd be stupid to make them unhappy. Maybe a petition?

They probably don't feel there's enough of a market there, so if you could show that they would sell well I can't see why they wouldn't bring it. Or maybe they don't want more money?
    Gonna be e-mailing them within the next 24 hours myself.

If someone will share their email address I'll write too - am "time poor" at the moment (but not cash rich unfortunately!)

Quote harpy View Post
    If someone will share their email address I'll write too - am "time poor" at the moment (but not cash rich unfortunately!)
    This is the email: info@oatly.co.uk

Thanks Mr Firestorm Will write, esp as I can genuinely see myself buying this stuff.

I have wrotten, will report back if I get a reply.