Thread: Is veganism impossible for my body? What am I doing wrong?

Default Is veganism impossible for my body? What am I doing wrong?

So, I am in need of some serious advice. I have been vegan for almost 2 years now (I’m a 23-year-old female), and truly, I love it. It comes so easily and naturally to me, and all in all, I feel excellent! I’m not low energy in the slightest. My only problem—near-constant hunger and subsequent weight gain. I am not a junk food vegan by any means. I strive to eat a balance of whole grains, veggies, healthy fats, and protein at every meal, and I snack on a variety of fruits, nuts, crackers, etc. In other words, my diet is diverse! I drink plenty of water, to the point where I pee A LOT. I’ve had a dietitian call my diet “a dietitian’s dream.” I’ve tracked micronutrients, macronutrients, calories, and I’m almost certain I’m getting everything I need. Calorie wise, I eat around 500 for breakfast, between 400-500 for lunch and dinner, and I snack between meals, tacking on another 500+ calories there, too. My daily totals range anywhere from 2000-2500, sometimes more, thanks to binge-eating related to stress sometimes, yes, but also a desperation to not feel hungry anymore. I can eat HUGE amounts and still literally feel empty, like nothing’s in my belly AT ALL.

Sometimes, I do feel satiated, but most of the time, I’d say I’m not. It honestly makes no sense to me. I read about loads of new vegans raving about how satiated they feel, how deeply nourished. I read about how eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of fluids helps satiety (a big fat lie, in my opinion). I exercise 8-10 hours a week, as I’m a yoga instructor and teach 6 hours, then add 2-4 hours of additional cardio, depending, usually closer to 2 hours, I’d say. Yet, no matter what I do, my weight has steadily crept up, and I cannot shed it for the life of me. I’m not at an unhealthy weight for my height by any means, and I’m in very good shape. I had my metabolism tested once, which told me I could maintain my weight at 2500 calories a day, so apart from occasional splurge-days, I’m mostly in my calorie range, plus all the exercise. I also supplement, so I’m absolutely certain I’m not lacking, nor do blood tests reveal any deficiencies. So, what in the world is wrong with me?

I guess my other question, then, is this: Am I not designed to be vegan? I’ve read about some people who claim that they just cannot physically tolerate/sustain veganism, that they feel their best eating some animal products. I’ve always shaken my head at this because I’ve believed that, when approached properly, a plant-based diet is THE best diet possible, a diet that CAN fulfill humans’ nutritional needs. But after 2 years of struggling, I am at a loss. Mentally, it pains me to think of eating dairy and eggs again (I will just be vegetarian, no meat, thankfully!)—I feel like a failure, a let down. I’ve scoured the internet in search of answers to very little avail. I’ve experimented with my diet a lot to try to figure stuff out on my own. Nothing. Nada. So, now, I’m here, asking for insight, advice, something that could maybe, hopefully, lead me to an answer. So, again, am I possibly one of those people who thrives better as a vegetarian? How does one rationalize the switch back without feeling horribly guilty?

Thank you so much in advance!

Default Re: Is veganism impossible for my body? What am I doing wrong?

Hi!
    What makes you think that the lack of eggs and dairy will help you with your hunger and weigh gain problems?
    What exactly is it in eggs and dairy that you think will make you less hungry and gain less weight, compared with what you eat now? IF you don't know (I don't know if you know), why do you think that adding these two elements will make life better for you?

There are many reasons for weight gain (we have separate threads about that), and both weight gain and hunger can be a psychosomatic thing. Some people also tend to gain weight and eat more in the winter months. But maybe you know something about eggs and dairy which I don't. Anyway, since you generally love being a vegan and feel excellent after having stopped using animal products, adding animal products doesn't sound like a good idea (apart from the arguments pro a vegan lifestyle). Fruits, nuts, crackers, fruit juices, binge eating and stress (you mention both) are all know to trigger weight gain and weight gain as such/overeating usually triggers more overeating, both because even an healthy glass og organic juices increased blood sugar levels and may cause juice (etc) cravings, but also because food sometimes is addictive, including the healthy stuff, if you have too much of it. Fat (nuts) and sugar (sweet fruits and juices), for instance, are addictive-ish and causes cravings.

I’m not at an unhealthy weight for my height by any means, and I’m in very good shape.
    This, and the fact that you feel excellent, may suggest that there's no problem to be solved - except the hunger part. Could there be a psychological element here as well? Many non-vegans (a lot of them, actually) also experience exaggerated hunger and weight gain at the same time. I guess these two things follow each other, because if you have more hunger, you eat more, and therefore gain weight unless you exercise more than before.

am I possibly one of those people who thrives better as a vegetarian?
    "Thrive" is very much based on old habits. But if what you eat now is at least as tasty and fulfilling as what you used to eat, and since you feel excellent and are in very good shape and don't weigh too much, maybe you just need more time. Or a vegan partner/something else which can make you feel fulfilled without eating stuff you don't need. Or more variation in your life/diet.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

There are a few possibilities that come to mind immediately;

a) you may need more whole grain instead of processed ones (ie. brown rice/bread/pasta instead of white, as it stabilises your blood sugar better and takes longer to digest), however I'm almost certain from your post that you'd probably have covered this already,

b) your very large amounts of water may be stretching out your stomach which would make you feel physically hungry...

c) it be a symptom of some sort of health issue, albeit probably unlikely as you've no other symptoms, but it may be worth just getting a quick MOT with your health care provider,

It could be some or all if the above.

A fourth thought, is that your hunger could be psychological or at least partly so, as being vegan doesn't automatically negate emotional eating habits (I speak from experience on this so please don't be concerned that I am taking a negative/judgemental viewpoint),

I had an insatiable hunger at first, and I'm far newer in vegan terms than you are, but am also a long time recovering overeater, and foodie, and have a fairly well rounded knowledge of these things, and what solved the problem for me - though it may seem unbelievably simple - was just making up my mind what I needed and then realising that the feeling of hunger was not a real need but a habit (because my weight told me I was getting enough). So I stuck to my planned food (and liquid) intake, and slowly my system just got used to the amount I ate and I stopped feeling hungry between meals.

Hope this helps. Hugs.
    Last edited by Peabrain; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 11:39 AM.

As well as what's been mentioned already I would look up "glycaemic load" if you haven't already - I find that can be a factor in how satisfied your meals make you feel.

It sounds as if you have a good diet but how you put individual meals together may make a difference (e.g. if you have a snack consisting only of fruit that could make you feel hungry soon afterwards, whereas fruit+nuts wouldn't).

All the best

All the above advice sounds very good.

I would only say, due to the amount that you exercises could the weight gain be to do with increased muscle mass? I went vegan from vegetarian almost a year ago now and started doing more exercise at the same time - everyone kept saying how thin I was looking on my "new diet" and couldn't believe it when I told them my weight! I too feel hungry a fair amount but in my case I definitely find it's linked to sugar. I think I have too much sugar to start with so whenever I've burnt it up I start feeling hungry again :S I think the above advice about whole wheat food would probably help with that though. Hope that's helpful!

Yes I gave up sugar completely a few years ago, and it did help with cravings...
    Last edited by Peabrain; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 11:50 PM.