Thread: Sinus Problem/Cold from Eating Fruit?

Question Sinus Problem/Cold from Eating Fruit?

Hello everyone! :)

I am a mainly raw vegan and gluten free. I switched from being vegetarian to vegan about a month ago, and I feel great! However, I noticed that for some reason I have been having a little bit of sinus pain in the morning and a lot of phlegm all the time in my throat since I started. Granted, it is winter right now and colds are going around, so I don't know for sure if it is related to what I eat or not. But anyway, the reason I am wondering is because I eat a huge fruit smoothie for breakfast every day. I usually put things like bananas, almond milk, coconut milk, peanut butter (the "just peanuts" kind), and frozen mixed berries in. I sometimes have a smoothie for supper as well. So I was wondering if maybe I am getting too much natural sugar and it is causing phlegm? I'm not sure. What do you think?

Default Re: Sinus Problem/Cold from Eating Fruit?

natural fruit sugars shouldnt be causing excess mucous, refined sugars may do though, but still best to eat your fruit when properly ripe so the sugars are fully developed.

green phlegm is usually a sign of infection, but it could just be your body trying to rid itself of bad stuff now your are cleaning out from dairy, but may be worth getting checked out, especially with the sinus issue too, it could just be that your sinuses are suffering from the central heating and dry air because of the cold temperatures.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Hello abstractnumbers, and welcome to the forum!

I would think that one month of eating a vegan diet after a lifetime of consuming nonvegan items is too short to tell you much - your body might still be "de-toxing" for all it's worth.

Normally, stopping to have milk and dairy should have a positive influence on your sinuses, and the added vitamins should also boost your immune system.

Maybe you put too much frozen stuff into your smoothie and get a cold?

Best regards,
    Andy

Or could you have an allergy or sensitivity to a particular fruit? Maybe if you keep a diary of what fruit you use and how you feel later you may detect a pattern?