Thread: Italian blog with easy to make cheeses

Default Italian blog with easy to make cheeses

I hadn't tried any vegan cheeses before finding this site. They seemed way too expensive to buy online and I had no idea how to make them.

I came across this site and I've tried a few of the cheeses and they've worked out well.

I made this. It's a spreadable cheese, has a creamy, slightly tangy taste, and is very nice. I've had it on jacket potatoes, sandwiches, crackers. So easy to make too.
    http://www.veganblog.it/2010/01/13/stracchino-vegan/

Also this mozzarella. To make a piece of cheese that big, you need around 4-5 quantities of that recipe and 1/2 tsp of salt.
    http://www.veganwiz.com/2010/04/09/homemade-vegan-mozzarella/
    It was so lovely! I haven't tried it on pizza, but i've had it in salads and on bread. I don't think it melts but I'm sure it would be nice in pizza or in a lasagne.

Default Re: Italian blog with easy to make cheeses

Oooo! Interesting! Thanks for that! I kinda had given up on the cheese quest but might try that! : )

They are so easy to make and don't require any complicated methods or ingredients. No straining or soaking over night. I tried to make cashew cheese and it was a disaster.

It's a really good sight have a look round, I got a lot of recipes and inspiration from there. Cheap but delicious!

And post about your results! I am in the process of making more mozzarella right now. Am slightly obsessed since I haven't eaten anything cheese-like since last summer and I miss it a lot.

Brilliant! Thanks so much.

I tried cashew cheese as well and though it tasted nice, it wasn't remotely akin to cheese! So I've just done without and it's been fine really.. I don't like eating processed stuff so to be able to make mozzarella like that out of basic ingredients would be amazing! I do love pizza! Plus.. my best friend (veggie) said if I mastered pizza cheese she'd go full vegan! Now if that's not an incentive?! I had been sprinkling nutritional yeast over the tomato sauce first which gives in a bit of a cheesey flavour.

I was also gonna do some experimenting with curdling soy milk with apple cider vinegar to get that tang you can get in cheeses..it's probably the same as using soy yogurt I guess?.. not sure how it would work with mozzarella but will definitely try that recipe out on Friday! Thanks again : ) Will post any updates!

"Sometimes I confuse turtles and crows!"

What do you do that makes them get confused?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Here is the mozzarella I made last night. Using just cornflour, soy milk, margarine, yogurt, soy cream and some salt. I heated it on the hob for 15 minutes, and then poured into a oiled bowl and left in the fridge over night.

Hi Misosoup, did you use the cornflour instead of the potato starch?

Yes I did. I've not really seen potato starch in the UK.

Thanks, that's what I thought, I've got cornflour in the cupboard so will give this a try.

Try just doing the single quantity first, which is what I did, and see how much salt you like in it.
    I use coconut cream and soy cream instead of soy creamer.

Cool, that looks grate! ;p

Yeah I made a batch with cornflour as well but only tasted it before I set it.. I felt the cornflour was very obvious.. as in the texture of it.. bit grainy. I had to head out so I gave the set version to my friend to try out on his pizza.. he said it was "wicked"!! So maybe that texture mellowed out while setting? I've yet to taste it.. he hasn't returned the bowl so that must be a good sign! oh and I added a tablespoon of nutritional yeast as well. And used soy cream too.. bit restricted here on ingredients!

So thanks again for that link!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    "Sometimes I confuse turtles and crows!"

What do you do that makes them get confused?
    I dunno.. I like to write random crap! .. see who picks up on it! I know, I know.. easily entertained! It's probably the lack of B12, protein and calcium makes me do it! ;p

Yeah, you have to let it set for at least 8 hours. With the cornflour, I sieved it with the salt first. And whisked it the entire time, for 15 mintues, to make sure there were no lumps.

I think soy cream would be fine. I only had coconut cream so used that. I use UHT cream because it keeps longer.

Glad you had a good response!

It is an excellent website. Have a look at the Italian language blog, using google translate
    http://www.veganwiz.com/category/vegan-cheeses/
    http://www.veganblog.it/category/formaggi-vegan/

Will do. I bought potato flour thinking it might be the same thing as starch but apparently not! I wonder could ya use a gelling agent to set it rather than all that cornflour! Mix of both? Early days! *puts on white coat and goggles*