Thread: Vomiting on raw detox?

Default Vomiting on raw detox?

After researching a lot about the benefits of eating raw, I really wanted to try it to see if I noticed any changes. After being vegan for about 2 months I upped my intake of raw and cooked vegetables and was feeling great. I was about 50-75% raw at the time. Everything was going great so I tried a full day of about 95% raw foods. I was extremely full and was feeling a little nauseous in the evening. By the time I was trying to sleep I was having constant bouts of diarrhea. I figured this was normal since this is common in detox. By the next day I returned to eating about 75% raw and that night again I was having constant diarrhea and this time vomiting. I hadn't puked in 5 years. After that I took a break from trying to go fully raw and just kept my intake to about 50-75% like before. After I had stabilized I decided to try again after I had gotten a juicer. I had a glass of juice in the evening, a glass in the morning as well as the afternoon. I did also eat other food with the juice and I didn't drink an excessive quantity. Probably only 40 ounces total between the 3 drinks. Well by the evening I was feeling sick again and this time I was vomiting constantly accompanied with diarrhea. I couldn't even keep water down. I was in so much pain I seriously contemplated going to the ER. After it had gotten out of my system I felt a little better and took an aleve to help some of the pain in my back. I slept for a few hours and then the next day I was perking up again and feeling better. Now I'm seriously afraid to eat anything that might make me sick again. I'm still vegan but I'm afraid of trying raw at all now. If anyone had an experience like this please share and tell me what you did. I'd appreciate any advice as to what might be going on and what I can do. Also, I am currently fluoxetine if this could be a case of a medication interaction. Thank you for any help.

Default Re: Vomiting on raw detox?

First off, I'm sorry you've been so ill. Please bear in mind, I'm not a doctor so take all of this with a grain of salt, but what you experienced doesn't sound normal for a detox, at least not a dietary one. Nausea can be expected on a juice fast and maybe some loose bowel movements, but chronic vomiting is not normal or healthy. Are you diligent about washing your produce? Also, are you combining your fruits and veggies properly? Some people are very sensitive to combining acid fruits with sweet fruits and it can cause stomach upset, although I don't know if it would to the level you experienced.

Just based on your symptoms it almost seems you picked up some sort of bug, either viral or food-borne, since the vomiting was so severe and accompanied by diarrhea. Bottom line is that raw is great, but I personally don't think it's for everyone. You have to listen to your body and be kind to it. If you can only tolerate 75% raw and you thrive on it, then do it. Don't focus so hard on being 100% or 90% or even 80%. I think a lot of raw vegans get really hung up on percentages, like a contest to see who's the purest of the raw foodists, but the real deal is that even replacing one cooked meal a day with raw fruits and veggies carries enormous health benefits.

@KnittinMama Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought much about combinations. Now that I think about it, I didn't take too well to the citrus fruits. I think I'll consider doing 50-75% after I feel ready again. Thank you.

You are most welcome. Glad I could be of some help. I hope you're on the mend!