For those of you who do not know the One Earth Shop can be found in Allison Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, West Midlands. The first time I went there I was not vegn but I had read about it in the vegetarian societies magazine. On my next visit some time later I had become vegan and it was a delight to be able to go to shop were I did not have to keep checking to see if things were vegan. The shop then was run by John and Tina who were both vegans. The shop had not only food but household items and magazines and lots of things. Back then the shop was really unique as it was in the days befor the internet and it filled a need for vegans living in the west midlands.I was never able to spend as much money as I would have liked but I went there as often as I could. In recent years I have become increasingly put off using supermarkets and have been trying to wean myself off them. I decided to try and shop at places that were more suited to my vegan lifestyle. I made effort to save as much as I could with the aim of visiting the One Earth Shop and stocking up. I knew the shop to be now under new managment and had met the new owner Tarren.

However it seem the shop has fallen on hard times and is presently struggling to survive. I am not sure what has actually caused the problems I know tht there is much more compertiton now what with the internet and so many supermarkets offering to deliver. I also know that prices have gone up and that people due to high levels of unemployment and increasing costs of living do not have as much money spend as they did. I would be very sad though to see the OES close down because of lack of support from vegans living locally. There are many things I like about the shop the most important being it is run by another vegan. I would much rather support a buisness run by someo ne with my values than give my money to the likes of Tesco ect or Holland and Barrett. we have have recently lost The Warehouse Cafe ( one of the few places in Birmingham I could get some thing to eat) must we lose the shop too?